1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

35" Barrel.....tight???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Given a 32" barrel with the same bore and constriction as a 35" barrel will one of them always pattern tighter than the other?

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Why, because it's 3" closer? I doubt that barrel length affects the pattern, within reason of course. Bob

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob is correct, in theory, but the 3 inch difference would not make enough difference to measure.

Pat Ireland

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

With a long barrel you can use a slower burning powder. This will cause less deformation of the shot, producing a tighter pattern with less fliers. HMB

5. jhoward

jhoward Member

Unless you are using large charges of Blue Dot, or similar powder, 32 inches of barrel will be more than enough to burn all of it.

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

3" over a 40 yard distance doesn't mean all that much. Can't see it having an effect at a 13 yd. pattern board either. I could be wrong but, there may be drawbacks to too long of a barrel. What length that would be I don't know. My BT-99 is 34" and I shoot with extended choke tubes so I'm at 35". My Citori Trap is 32" and I think it patterns the same with the same tubes in both.

7. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Thanks for the input. I just got a 35" barrel for a Perazzi TM1 and was thinking about giving it a whirl if it had a ballistic advantage as far as choke. Rick~~~Texas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.