1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

35" Barrel Questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BIGDON, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why do you use RED????????

Don

2. Toddy

Toddy Member

Drew,

If you want to get out of the red....then PAY YOUR BILLS....

R.T.

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I think it would be nice if you went along with everyone else. If you want to find only your thread then use the "Edit/Delete" feature.

Don

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Reds hurting my eyes.
    Guess I won't look at red posts than.

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Every gun is different. Each shooter's speed and capabilities are different. I've shot a Seitz 35" titanium. Great gun. I think the Titanium frame helps balance out the 35" barrel, and spreads the weight out proportionally. I can't tell it's 35" and it swings faster than any gun I've had. Don't know much about the 35" p-gun. So why do you think it might be better??

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Is someone who uses an extended choke tube in their 34" barrel in effect shooting a 35" barrel?

Ed

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I once owned an MX-15 with a 34" barrel. It was light, and had been lightened even more by Wilkinson's work. It moved like lightning. I wanted more stability, so I went to a 35" barrel. It slowed me down and smoothed out my swing. It also helped with follow through.

When comparing a 34" barrel to the same weight 35" barrel, I find the differences to be minor. The 35" is still a tad smoother. I suppose it's an MOI thing.

When I turned that gun into a combo, I followed conventional wisdom and went with 32" (31.5" actually) MX-8 Trap O/U barrels. Rib heights matched, but I HATED it. The vast difference in sighting planes really bothered me. And if you believe you can achieve the same POI (if higher than 70/30) with those two barrel lengths without adjusting something every time you switch, you are sadly mistaken.

I recently moved to 35" and 34" RS barrels and love it. Barrel weights are the same within 1/4 oz. Swing is virtually the same, with the O/U a touch slower (definitely MOI). With identical settings, the 34" O/U shoots a tiny bit higher than the 35" unsingle. That is due to the differences in rib length between pivot and bead. However, even though it is noticeable (by me), it has no effect at target range.

My preference is for matching barrel lengths and matching weights. Now that I am shooting a low POI (90/10), I could shoot the combo you are considering. If I was still shooting 22" high @ 40 yards, I could not. If you like your POIs to be the same, you will find you have to set the O/U barrel's rib to one notch higher in the front to achieve the same POI as the 35" with the same comb settings.

8. frumpy

frumpy TS Member

Your scores will definitely improve as long as nobody notices that you're whacking the targets with the barrel...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.