1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

34" barrels for singles?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Why would anyone need a singles gun with 34" barrels for singles? Also, if you're under 5, 9" wouldn't a longer barrel hinder your swing?---Phil

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I tend to think that some prefer the longer barrels for weight & balance issues.

ec90t

3. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Phil, I'm not sure that it is really a need as much as it is a practical thing for many shooters. A lot of shooters I know, shoot the same gun for singles as they do for hdc and many shooters use a 34in. bbl. for hdc.

I agree with you that a 34 in. bbl. is not needed for singles and that a shorter bbl. gun may swing a little faster for a person of smaller stature or any stature as far as that is concerned. Up until a yr. and a half ago, I shot a 28 in. bbl. gun for singles. A yr. ago last August I purchased a Ljutic with 33 1/2 bbl. to shoot hdc. with. I finally decided to use that same gun to shoot singles with so as to eliminate carrying three guns. It took me a while to get used to shooting the longer bbl. for singles as well as a much tighter choke. Have a Happy New Year and good shooting. Steve

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

The shorter the barrel the quicker the swing and with better control!

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

The shorter the barrel, the quicker the swing with less control. A longer barrel swings smoothly and is more difficult to stop just as you shoot.

Pat Ireland

6. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Well Pat , both you & Hipshot agree on only one point, shorter barrels swing quicker---would more weight smooth out the swing---Phil

7. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

a 30 in. model 12 was the gun for a zillion years.many have wandered why they ever quit shooting one. dwain

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Just do it like you are smoothly painting the target out of the sky! Don't start, stop, and start your swing again....I guarantee you will miss!

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I thought that the 34 inch barrel tends to give the same sight picture at 16 and at any yardage, hence that classic length helps keep things simple.

10. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I prefer the 34 inch over shorter barrels. I have owned and shot shorter barrels but not nearly as good as the 34". The 34" is just easier for me to aim with. I might add that my gun is not a heavy lunker either. I am not a big guy either, maybe stronger, but I still like a light gun and shoot right at a 3 dram 1 1/8 ounce load for all.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Unless you're an arm swinger,pusher,puller, isn't swinging a shotgun a figure of speech for trapshooters? Hap

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hap is correct. We should swing our middle and/or lower bodies and the gun just moves along with our body movement.

The term swinging is loosely used by us and it does have several different meanings. Hap- Should a good shooter on post three be able to swing both ways?

Pat Ireland

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Even if you stay all locked in and move from the ankles to the waist, the gun still swings, it's just in unison with your torso.

chat, there will be a certain barrel weight and length and weight distribution that just feels right to you. If you shot a 28" barrel that moved too fast for you, you could add weight in the forearm and put a barrel weight on. The closer to the muzzle you place the weight, the move you increase polar moment, and the more you slow the swing.

I tried a 35" barrel on my Perazzi and liked it so much better than the 34" I was shooting that I bought one. Now I have a different one and 34" O/U barrels to match. I like the smooth, even swing. The 35" is admittedly just a touch slower to move than the 34". I like that. It slows me down slightly, I have another instant to watch the bird and determine its line, I swing more smoothly, and I follow through more readily. Also, the bird breaks a yard or two further out, which helps pattern-wise with a full choke used for singles. For caps the smoother swing and improved follow through are even more important.

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Pat, I once saw a shooter that swings both ways (hearsay) at the Ca. state shoot on post 3.

Since we're talking about swinging, which is easiest to "swing", a 12 pound O/U with 30 inch barrels or a 9 pound 35 inch barreled gun? Hap

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hap- You have asked what appears to be a simple lever problem but you would have to provide the length of the force arms and resistant arms.

How about swinging both ways when you shoot doubles?

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.