1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

34" barrel on a Semi Automatic .... Why Not???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by omahasportingsupply, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I was listening to a hot debate among veteran shooters tonight during a trap league. Seems like somebody put a 34" barrel on a semi automatic shotgun and was shooting it on another league night. One person said not legal, another said impractical, and the other said let him shoot it, you have a 35" barrel on your gun. Since this was a lot of years of trapshooting experience, I found it interesting. Has anyone done this before? Kuhn? Brian? Tron? Advantages or Disadvantages to this. Somebody on this web has probably done this before. Please share. Omaha

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land

Whenever someone claims there's an ATA rule against something, tell them to prove it and show the reference in the ATA rules book.<br>
    <br>
    As for the 34" barrel, because of the length of the receiver, this would be like a break action with a 36" to 38" barrel.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

It would not n practical for most shooters. The long barrel would put a lot of weight toward the front. But, it would be legal and should not have any functioning problems.

Pat Ireland

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

No one shoots a 38" single.

5. dshot

dshot Member

I have seen Pics. of a chair shooter, shooting a 52" barrel at the Grand years ago.

6. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

I have one on my 1100 that I used for card shooting several years ago & have shot some trap with it. Like Pat said it definitely is heavy on the front end but not as bad as i thought it would be.

i_shoot

7. cleboje

cleboje Member

I shoot a 303 with 32 inch flat rib barrel.

It is not too heavy...in fact, it balances just right for me and I really think the extra-long sighting plane is an advantage!

If I could get a longer flat rib barrel, I would give it a try...

After all is said and done...Size Matters!!!

8. omahasportingsupply

You guys are a kick! Did you weight the butt stock (lead?) to keep the balance point from making this nose heavy? I did not realize that D. Lee Braun used a 34" on his semi. Interesting historical tidbit. Thanks Omaha

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I notice people talking about the advantage of a longer sighting plane. Should I be looking down the barrel when I'm shooting? I have been trying to look at the target and not the barrel, but maybe that's my problem.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

I see an advantage and a diadvantage.

The advantage is, you will quickly find your gun on any rack at the club!

The disadvantage is, your gun safe may not hold it without extensive mods. LOL

11. omahasportingsupply

You are correct on both counts Coach. LOL Omaha

12. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

34" on a semi auto, with the leght of that receiver yes, you are right around 37" or 38", too cumbersome.

Berettaman7

13. cleboje

cleboje Member

I read an article about a 'Metro-Gun' in which an aftermarket barrel is fitted to an existing screw-choked barrel to make a gun with an EXTREMELY LONG BARREL...the purpose of the 'Metro' addition was to make the report sub-sonic so the gun could be used to hunt waterfowl near heavily populated areas...

I think the writer of the article was L.P. Brenzy.

If it worked for L.P., it could be of use on the trap-line!

If I am not mistaken, the 'Metro' added another 34 inches to the existing screw-choked barrel!!!

14. cleboje

cleboje Member

Oops...my apology to Mr. Brezny for mispelling his name above.

Here is the lowdown on the 'Metro' barrel for trapshooters who seek the pentultimate 'long-barrel' (swat-em-as-you-see-em) solution to the 27 yard line.

The Metro Gun System was developed for shotgun shooting in areas or at times when noise was not a desirable effect. As a secondary effect, the Metro Gun System will reduce felt recoil by as much as 80%, and when used with special sub-sonic ammunition, developed by both Federal Cartridge and L.P.Brezny, eliminates the need for hearing protection. When fired, the Metro Gun extension, installed on a 12 gauge won't even set off hearing sound reduction equipment. The decibel readings are about 72db.

Shooters that use the Metro Gun System after over six years of sales include heart patients, shooters with old shoulder injures, and young shooters that don't care for high recoil or muzzle blast.

Other uses for the system include hunting in areas where noise is not desired, such as near homes or businesses that don't care for the loud blast of duck, turkey, and other game guns. Metro Guns areused by dairy farmers to control pest birds near cattle barns. Normal guns cause dairy cows to reduce milk production and cost farmers money. The Metro System will not cause this problem due to the very low noise involved with the system.

USDA uses the system for airport pest control as do animal control professionals around the country when working in close urban environments. Even state game and fish agencies have taken to the gun system for both game and highway accident dispatch work.

Simply remove the shotgun's choke system and install the Metro Gun extension. Then, add the choke to the muzzle of the Metro Gun extension and you're all set to shoot. Fast, simple, and completely legal in all 50 states according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.

Metro Gun markets its own deer slugs that are very low recoil and separate into three separate projectiles upon contact with a warm target. Metro Gun can make use of all commercial shot shells that are low sound or low recoil and, thereby, reduce both noise and recoil significantly.

Added to the Metro Gun System for 2007 is the new 20 gauge reduction system that allows the 20 gauge Remington 870 to use a standard Metro Gun quiet shooting barrel extension.

Metro Gun is the" Quiet Sting" that works.

---L.P. Brezny, Designer and Founder

15. omahasportingsupply

You people amaze me. I have seen that Metro barrel in the Cabela's cat. I would want a bipod so I wouldn't tip over. Mike, do you need lead in your back pockets to shoot that long barrel? LOL Omaha

16. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

A very good friend of mine shotts an 1100 with a 34" full-choke barrel, and he can really crush the target. I don't think these barrels are too easy to find. If you get the chance to shoot one, give it a try, you may be surprised.

17. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I sometimes shoot a 1100 with the 34 inch full barrel also. From the 16 it turns the targets to dust, even with 7/8 ounce loads. Doesn't seem front heavy to me. Swings real well, in fact, I have shot some of my best scores with it. Course, I'm not telling ya what they are.

Gne J

18. oldsoul

oldsoul TS Member

Does anyone have a 34" barrel for sale? Scott

19. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I hunted with a 36" Marlin Goose gun in the early 70's. Still got it, and I bring it the last night of winter trap league. Everyone wants to shoot it on Annies and protections. It doesn't shoot high enough fo me, but you don't really notice the length. I suspect a 34" on an auto would be just fine on handicap.

20. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

I have a Remington factory 34" Trap barrel in excellent condition I will sell for $400(firm).

i_shoot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.