1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

338 mag load

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ricks1, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

there was another post on here about the 338 mag i have a different question does anyone have a load for a 300gr boattail bullet i can not find anyone that lists the bullet it looks like a sierra bthp but they dont show anything near that weight in 338 i was going to load ONE in a 338-06 that should be about all the recoil i want for a week rick

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Rick, Call Rich Machholz at Sierra's tech line, 800-223-8799. He does some long range bench shooting and can probably help you out. That bullet is fairly new and designed for long range paper punching using cases with lots of powder capacity. Yes it will have noticeable recoil.

Jim

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Your gun will need to have a 1-10" twist to shoot this bullet. In your 338/06, it will have heavy recoil, a rainbow trajectory and a muzzle velocity of under 2300 fps. At extended range, even the 1-10" twist might not stabilize this bullet.

The Nosler Ballistic tip in a lighter weight will give near the same accuracy and a more useful load. If you want to tighten up groups, segregate the brass by weight, within one grain for hunting, or 1/2 grain for precision shooting. This last can cut the groups up to half!

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

thanks for the info i know that the 300gr is way too heavy for the 338-06 i like the 215 to 225 gr i only have about 25 they were in a big lot of reloading stuff S C it is 1 in 10 custom bore on a old model 70 win have not had time to work up loads but it shoots the cast lead well and little recoil thanks rick

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

was also told it is for the 50cal used in a sabot for 5000yd shots rick

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you only have a few of them, try to find some AA8700 powder and load around 60 gr. and mash bullet in case. Vel will be low, as expected, but short range accuracy might fool you.

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

S C will try that if i can find the powder is there any other that is close what about IMR7828 rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.