1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.327 Federal Magnum

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

What do ya'll think of the new .327 Federal Magnum as a self defence round? At first blush it seems a bit tiny but OTOH 100 gr JHP @ over 1500 fps would seem to put it above such venerable defence rounds as the 9mm & .38spl+P and in the same league as the .357 magnum? Was inspecting a little Ruger revolver the other day.......6 shots and it sure looked like it'd be easy to conceal. Now I've always been partial to .44's & .45's but those big guns aren't exactly easy to hide on your "person".

John C. Saubak

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The 30 Luger which pushes a 93 grainer at 1200 fps.

The 7.62x25 Tokarev, which pushes an 85 grainer to 1230 to 1720 fps depending on the load.

A 9mm Luger pushes a 115 grainer in the 1300 to 1430 fps range.

With a 100 grainer, the 327 Magnum turns in 1400 fps from a short barrel (3"). From a 5.5" barrel the velocity gets a noticeable increase to over 1800 fps.

The 327 115 grainer does 1300 from a short barrel, and over 1600 from the longer barrel.

This puts the 327 Magnum in the same general class as the Tokarev and Luger with a short barrel.

The .38 Special +P+ typically does 1100 fps with a 110 grainer, so it is outclassed by the 327 Magnum.

The 357 Magnum stomps on the 327 Magnum in any loading. Having said that, the 357 Magnum, from a blast and recoil standpoint, is not an optimal cartridge for a small frame, light handgun, while the 327 Magnum is.

A lot of people don't like the idea of a 32 cal handgun because this was considered a weak caliber in the old days. The 327 Magnum is a fresh approach designed to put a sixth shot in what are normally, in .38, five shot revolvers, and do so with more power than the .38 Special in any loading.

What the 327 Magnum is not is a .357 Magnum, despite wishful thinking on the part of some gun magazine writers.

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Ballistically (i.e., kinetic energy) it is almost an identical round to the 9 mm, so I do not see how you conclude that it is 'above' the 9 mm.

4. Brian in Oregon

Read again. I said "same general class".

In fact, the 9mm Luger is a very efficient cartridge in a small frame handgun, almost an ideal compromise for power without heavy recoil. Like the 38 Special, it's drawback is being limited to five shots in such a frame.

5. Brian in Oregon

Interestingly, the .32-20 WHV (Winchester High Velocity) version of the .32-20 WCF (Winchester Center Fire) was loaded too hot for the revolvers of the day. The 32-20 WHV was a rifle only cartridge.

I mention that because while the 327 would be fun in a lever action as you opine, I'd still rather stick with the 32-20.

BTW, I have an old Winchester 1892 takedown rifle in 25-20 WCF. Unfortunately this cartridge was never offered in a handgun. Sure makes a dandy small game rifle, though.

6. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

9mm is fine for those that squat to pee. If it doesn't start with a 4 and end in 5 I don't want it

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

45-19-35

Lol

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The pluses are having a six shot small frame revolver that has as much power as just about any other caliber offered in a gun that size (except the .357) Penetration and energy transfer should be very good.

The downside is a limited ammo selection - even brass is hard to come by. But you can always shoot .32 H&R or .32 S&W long for practice.

I would put it at or near the top of the heap for very small CCW pieces. Certainly a better choice than the gaggle of .380s or mini 9mms out there.

I would like to see S&W bring back their model 16 chambered for this round with a 4" barrel - that would make a pretty fun Jack blaster....

9. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Speed kills, if it can penetrate far and fast enough. Big slow bullets kill, but not as well as 357 Mag. AJ

10. Strega

Strega TS Member

327 federal, the answer to a question nobody asked

11. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I would be a lot more interested if ammo was not always on back order, and because it is hard to get, the price is crazy. I like the idea of six rounds in a revolver the size of a Charter Arms undercover.

12. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

If somebody has one of these 327's, I have a box of Federal Hydra-Shoks that I will make a deal on. PM me if your interested.

13. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have a S & W Model 632-1 that I like very much.

I shoot some re-loads in it and quite a bit of .32 H&R Mag as well.

Allen

14. WYBOO WOOD

WYBOO WOOD Member

.327 Federal Magnum

Recently purchased a Ruger GP 100 revolver in .327 Federal Magnum. Seven rounds. All stainless with Black Hogue Monogrips. Fully adjustable sights. Only have put 50 rds thru. it to sight it in. Comfortable to shoot, with acceptable recoil.It also shoots all of the other .32's, (Long, H&R Mag, etc.) Quite a large revolver. Not what you would want to carry, but a night-stand self defense pistol. Looking forward to a long relationship with it. I like it.

Also, am exploring getting into reloading the empties. Looks like it would not be terribly expensive to purchase a press, dies and components. Dave

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I also would like a Marlin '94 rifle in 327 Mag with a revolver to make a nice pair...but only if Remington starts turning out excellent new Marlins...until then my 357/38's will do just fine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.