1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? 3200 Updates

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OldGoat, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I know the correct way to determine if a 3200 has been updated is to 1) see if a dot appears in the serial number and 2) to look at the face of the receiver to see if hex bolts are evident in the lower part of the receiver...but...

I am looking at a very nice 1 of 1000 model which has no dot within the serial number and the face of the receiver has no modifications present.

The salesperson says it is probably one of the later models which have any of the updates "built in"...that is, the receiver was built correctly as a later model so it needs no updates. (He also said Remington will still update any 3200 for no charge. I know better than that - I own 2 other 3200s which have been updated and when I contacted Remington about another one I was looked at, they said send it to Laibs.)

So, is there any merit to the idea that this 3200 has the updates built-in? I know some have said go ahead and shoot a 3200 and not worry about updates. Thanks and Best Regards in advance to knowledgeable replies. Best Regards, Ed

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Hello Ed,

Somebody(ies) are puffing smoke-rings up your britches leg and telling you that you have an Obama 'tingle.'

'New' v. 'old' 3200 is about #26,000, and the best drive-by way to tell is the side of the receiver has THREE pins, and not FOUR.

The bush-wa abt the 3200 is never-ending, esp abt the nonsense of an un-updated 3200 is unsafe or such nonsense.

What actually happened is the 3200 had a minor design-flaw: the recoil face of the receiver and the recoil face of the stock were designed NOT to ... yanno, face recoil like receivers and wood on every other gun throughout history. Yeah, Remington designed it that way. There was a few thou clearance, so IF your name was KingKong, OR you had a 3' cheater, it was possible to overtorque the stockbolt and make the wood recoil face meet the steel recoil face and, yanno, absorb recoil.

However, if you did that, since the 3200 receiver was made out of recycled Schlitz cans instead of real gun steel, it could spread about the ass end and a linkage in the trigger dropped and you couldn't fire a 2nd barrel, ... sometimes.

If you have an un-updated 3200 that has not been overtorqued (and it is pretty easy to tell with a steel rule, shoot it for 100,000 rounds, or 2.

Laibs will tell you exactly the same, and tell you further that if you want to glass-bed the head of the stock, you have 'updated' your old 3200.

old or updated, the 3200 is a shooter.

Bob

3. OldGoat

Bob....thanks....also sent you a PM. Best Regards, Ed

4. Shinytoys

Shinytoys TS Member

Don't mean to bump the thread but I'm looking for an original case for my 3200 4 barrel set. My guns are fine, my case got damaged.

Thanks

Howard R. Paul

Shinytoys

hrpaul@ptd.net

5. OldGoat

No problem. Have you posted on the "Want to Buy/Trade" threads on this forum? Best Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.