1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

3200 reputation...Where does it rank?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by turbobike, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbobike

turbobike Member

I want to try an O/U, I grew up with my uncle shooting a 3200 trap and always liked them. How do they compare to an XT/Citori, Beretta, 101, SKB or lets say in the $2000-2500 range trap gun.

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I owned one of the first 3200 Competition Traps from the mid-70s until the early 1990s. Despite having it fitted to me, it pounded the daylights out of my jaw and when I finally learned that trap guns don't have to be painful to shoot, I sold it. And that guy sold it. From there, I lost track of it. But they are durable, well-made guns. Before you buy one, make sure the updates have been performed. There will be a dot between the letters and numbers of the serial number if they have.

My recommendation would be a Beretta 680-series gun. My son and I shoot 687 trap combos and find them to be very soft-shooters, attractive and about as sensibly priced as a quality trap gun can be. Of course, someone will probably say that their Beretta kicked the snot of them and their 3200 was pleasant to shoot.

Ed

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't know that the 3200's are in the $2.5K price range like the XT or 682x Berettas. My opinion is that they aren't as durable or as comfortable to shoot. This might be a bit biased as the only 3200 I have is a field model and not directly comparable to the Beretta trap guns that I have. But even still if I compare the 3200 field gun to my 686 Beretta field gun it is alot bulkier and kicks plenty hard.

Of the guns you mentioned I would put the XT and 682 Beretta at the top of your list , the SKB somewhere in the maybe area and the 101 and 3200 in the save your money category.

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

3200 is a good gun and you can buy a nice one for 1500 or less. If it's on your bucket list don't be afraid to go for it. If you don't like it you can always sell it over. jm2c :)

5. Bob M

Bob M Member

I had a 3200 and enjoyed shooting it and I shot it well. Then the flinching started... I was shooting a borrowed K-56 (K32 with K80 wood) with a release trigger and liked it so much I traded the 3200 for a K80 combo with double release triggers in it at the Pa state shoot several years ago.

They were a very well made gun, but the stocks are prone to cracking as are the forearms. The other bad thing is that THE 3200 smith is Pat Laib. Pat is a great guy and does fine work, but he is in Minnesota and I live in Pa. If anything broke, and it did, it had to go to Laib's. I was without a gun for a couple weeks. (Hindsight observation - I could have easily bought three 3200s for what the combo cost. I would have had two backups.)

I can run the K80 to Ottsville and have lunch while it is repaired if need be.

6. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Of course with my sign-on name I am going to be a little biased but I would put the 3200 up there with any of those mentioned. I have owned a 3200 since 1990 with very little trouble. I personally don't find the recoil to be excessive. If you want to buy one look for a little used one that was manufactured with the factory updates incorporated at the time it was made. In my opinion they are the better guns.

7. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I started shooting as a teen and my dad bought me the 3200 with Purbaugh tube set. I still have the gun....always will.

However, it has been replaced by the K-80 and now just serves as back-up. The 3200 is heavy and frequently needing help from Laib to keep it running good. It just wasn't reliable enough to keep shooting in tournaments.

I would take a hard look at the XT. I've always liked Browning triggers better than Beretta's. Just me.

8. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

I enjoy shooting my 3200 very much. Give me a beautiful old gun over a new one any day.

p.s.to Bob M wouldn't that be a K58?

9. len loma

len loma TS Member

I shot one for at least 5 yrs. Did ok but recoil can be stiff as others mentioned. Did all the tricks to it over the years which lighten my wallet. For me 3200 has too many inherit design problems. I was always nervous it would break down during the season. I traded my 3200 for a Beretta 682X. I began to enjoy shooting longer sessions and improved my scores with more 25s. I may offend many but there are better guns out there with less issues and in same price range. Len

10. dontate

dontate Member

I listed a 3200 Special Trap for sale several months ago. It was a backup gun and has seen little use. I still have it for sale and can repost pictures if you are interested. If you want to give me 2500 for it I would gladly take it but I am really asking 1400 plus shipping. The gun has all updates and has no modificatios made to the wood. Berrels are 30" Full/Full and ported. In my opinion all guns kick if they do not fit you correctly. Whatever gun you choose, yoiu have to be willing to pay a bit more to make it fit you (adjustable stock components etc.). Proper fit produces better scores and a much more pleasant shooting experience.
    Don Tate

11. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

3200 Rem was the blueprint for the K80. Like the Win 101 a great Gun of there day. Newer Guns are improved and more reliable, parts are more avalable.Much R&D has been put into lowering recoil. You can find a good deal on most guns. Just decide what you prefer. Most used guns can be shot before purchase so try them out. You may find the one that fits like a glove!! Allen

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

3200 has NOTHING in common with the K80, and was not the basis for the design. The Remington 32 was the basis for the Krieghoff Model 32, which was the basis for the K80, and none of the 3 are even remotely similar to the 3200.

13. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

After having owned two, I would rate it ahead of an SKB but behing
    the rest. They are heavy and do not move well. I always felt like
    I was try to move a telephone pole. The receivers are cast to save
    money. Their day is long past.

14. Bob M

Bob M Member

Mark,

The owner added the 32 and the 80 to get 112 and then divided by 2 to get the 56.

15. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I purchased a used trap model with 32 inch barrels in mint shape years ago for $475.00 through a gun shop. It fit me absolutely perfect, but I could never shoot it well. The gun was built like a tank as I felt it was very heavy. I have a couple of friends that used the 3200's for mostly doubles and they did very well with them. One day a friend of mine, shot the Wisconsin state handicap and won it using a 3200 with a score of 99. I sold my 3200 last year to a friend of mine for $900.00, and he resold it the next day for $1,500.00. The 32 inch barrels were to heavy for me.
    Steve Balistreri

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The 3200 makes a very good doubles gun and has very fast mechanical triggers. It also has alot of things in common with the K-80. I believe they should be referred to as a poor mans K-80. HMB

17. skeet_man

The only things it has in common w/ a K80 is the sliding top latch and separated barrels. Other than that, it has ABSOLUTELY nothing in common.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

How about the front barrel hanger? HMB

19. skeet_man

Ok, I'll give you that.

But based on those qualifications, you could say that a valmet is like a 3200 b/c of the sliding top latch, or a kolar is like a 3200 b/c of the separated barrels and hangers. The internals of the gun couldn't be much more different.

20. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Where does it rank? Had one and it ranks at the very bottom period. Loosened all my crowns on the lower right jaw. Sold it to a lady who "just had to have it". She still won't speak to me even today.

Run from it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.