1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

3200 Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GoldWing, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldWing

GoldWing TS Member

What's the difference between a 3200 special trap and a Competition. What is the difference in the value? Do you send it to Remington for the upgrades? Cost of upgrades? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks in advance.

2. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

Not sure what the diference in them is other than possibly the engraving?? Bdodd would know - he has alot of good knowledge on the 3200 and shares it willingly - outstanding gentleman to deal with.

Pat Liabs Gun service is the place for the upgrades, Remington does not support them any longer.

hope this helps

HT

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

GoldWing, the Competition Grade was a step up from the 3200 Special Trap. And that meant that it had better looking wood and more attractive checkering and designs on the metal of the receiver. Otherwise, it was the same gun. I'd expect to see Specials for from $1100 to $1300 fairly routinely and Competitions for $1500 to maybe $1800 or 1900 depending on condition. I do not believe Remington does the upgrades anymore and you are best sending it to Pat Laib in Spicer Minnesota and I belive there'a another advertiser claiming the capability to upgrade 3200s with an ad in Trap and Field. I never had to pay for an upgrade since I had them done during the time Remington was doing them gratis. Others here will have that number down pat.

HT, where do I send the $5 for the good words?....breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

You dont have to send me the 5 bucks...lol when i was in iraq in 2004 you emailed me a ton of information on the Remington 3200, I still remember that and I still have all the information and I reread it all the time... :) Thank you again.

See i was close...lol

HT

5. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Laib is the only one for work. He bought out all of remingtons remaining parts supply.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My opinion and I think that of anyone that really gets into reasonably priced O/U guns; the Rem. 3200 even with having to spend for the upgrades on a cherry, is a terrific lot of bang for the buck with it's fast, mechanical triggers and generally well regulated barrels (trap models) for doubles. The forearm update can be ignored by simply converting the gun to extract only by removing the ejector cocking rods or disabling the ejector hammers in the forearm. Little known secrets are to NEVER tighten the stock bolt more than 5 lbs of torque, paint or coat the inside areas of the stock and forearm with an epoxy-like material to strengthen the wood, and do not port or choke tube them.

Laib's Gunsmithing, Pat Laib, 201 North Hwy 23, Spicer, MN 56288 320.796.2686 laib@wecnet.com. Does repairs on Rem. 3200 and Perazzi firing pin holes. Is said to have bought all remaining Rem. 3200 parts and gear and has a machinist making necessary parts. Also similiar Perazzi receiver repairs and parts.

HT, OK, OK, make it $10. And, thanks for your service in Mesopotamia....Bob Dodd

7. DocJim

DocJim Member

Bob, would replacing the ejector springs with weaker ones (that do not eject) have the same salutory effect? ..............JIm G

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Perhaps, Jim, however, to replace the springs you can have stopped at the point that the spring and rod are removed and just leave them out thus disabling the ejectors. The gun will still extract normally and it's just a matter of getting used to removing the spent hulls, preferred if you reload anyway, instead of having them fly over your shoulder....breakemall....Bob Dodd

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Bob,
    If the updates are done, do you still need t o worry about cracks etc?

10. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Dont worry about choke tubes or porting either, I did both and shot untold thousands of rounds through mine with no problems. As cubancigar said, the update takes care of the cracking. by and enjoy !!! If you see a 32" let me know LOL

11. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

"Little known secrets are to NEVER tighten the stock bolt more than 5 lbs of torque, paint or coat the inside areas of the stock and forearm with an epoxy-like material to strengthen the wood,"

HEY BOB -

This is interesting. I know Laib will do a glass bedding of the stock to the receiver. I think what you are suggesting here is getting at the same kind of thing, sort of.

How much is 5 pounds of torque on stock tightening, I suppuse you mean tighten it up nice, but don't overtighten the stock bolt... And the lacquer idea is to prevent solvents and oils from soaking into the stock wood pores and weakening it that way. But that would not accomplish any kind of bedding.

I think what Pat Laib does is actually rout an area into the stock and insert a metal washer type device and then put glass goop in the stock, mate it to the receiver, scrape off the excess and let it dry and harden.

Is this right? Does anybody know for sure.

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Sir Cigar, You can still have problems with the wood where it meets metal but the very conservative torque on the stock bolt and epoxy-like finish on the inside of the wood will help avoid cracking. The stock bolt torque was a Remington warning that came with later guns in their owners pamphlet. Do follow that, I did religiously and my gun for all 3 games over some 10 years never had a wood problem.

Kelly, I'm delighted you've had such good luck. But I've seen more examples of real problems with both porting and choke tubing these barrels than should occur. I stand by that recommendation.

dynapro, just a nice coat of material on the inside is a long way from a real bedding job. If money was no concern and Pat's got the gun, bedding just might be the best idea but I've seen examples where the surface painting was present and no cracking of wood on very well used guns. 5 lbs of torque is not much; barely firming it up without that last little ummmph! I always put a hole in the recoil pad and gave the bolt a wiggle off and back on every once in a while. It never seemed to wander......Bob Dodd

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Bob, THx for your opinion. I value what you say. I shoot some big loads so I will follow your advise. Thx again

14. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

Good info Bob Dodd, ... how did you become so knowledgable about 3200's? We appreciate your help.

I have a 3200 with several barrels. Laib recently did some upgrades for me so I know a little about what he does. I sent it in for the forearm iron upgrade and the result is interesting. The new iron does look different, most of what I see is a U shaped support piece back towards the hinge that might absorb vibration. I hope it works. I hate cracked wood. While it was up there I did what you said, I paid the extra $75 to have the stock glass bedded. I think I heard Tom say something about installing a metal piece in the stock and then doing the bedding. I have not had the stock off to observe the result.

I'm writing because I recently bought a second stock for my gun because I need to modify one and did not want to change the factory original. I HOPE this new stock fits first of all, and second, I will not overtighten and I will use some epoxy-like mnaterial on the raw wood.

What is an "epoxy like material" ... and is stock wood usually interchangeable or will i need fitting.

15. vetteman

vetteman TS Member

I've a question for Bob.I've removed the rods from 3200's before to convert them to extractors.This last time however,while removing them from my daughters gun,I managed to break the tab on the left ejector hammer where the pin goes through it.The extractor still works when I dry fire it.Should I expect problems when actually shooting the gun.Appreciate your response.
    Dave

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Cigar, glad you see that, indeed, much of what I said is "opinion."

Dynapro, my info/opinions/some facts come from having been there and doing it. For about 10 years I shot a 3200 for all trap games and quite successfully. I also had a 3200 skeet gun for my social or recreational time at skeet and sporting. I got my first one in the mid-70s and the two I had later were numbers 3 and 4 if I remember (a real chore) anywhere right. The only reason I'm not still shooting it/them is that when I was about to retire, I bought myself a retirement gift of a KS-5 Special and I'm certain it will be my last, single shot, gun. You can ask Hap MecTweaks about the trap 3200 cuz he was the one that bought it for a brother when I got the KS gun. I later filled the void with a M. 32 Kgun for doubles, skeet, and sporting nearly turning the full circle with an O/U with very similar barrel arrangements and lockup with mechanical triggers as the Rem. I expect the extra work you're having Sir Laib do on your gun will increase it's serving you well for a long time. When I say "epoxy-like material" I'm thinking of Verethane or any other similar product you can easily brush on and let dry. This should be a very thin coating and not change your stock fit. Even if the bedding done by Laib makes this step unnecessary, what's the harm in doing it would be my thought.

vetteman, If I understand your dilemma correctly, I'd suggest you could remove ALL the parts from the ejector hammers,sears,rod, spring and so forth and the extraction will still operate perfectly since it's operated with different parts. See how your extractors are operated with their mating with the sides of the receiver.

I stand by my assertion that the Rem 3200 is certainly one of the best buys for someone wanting a better than average O/U trap gun within it's price range even with the need for updating a virgin. Perfect? Heck no but try to buy a modern K, P, or any of the customs for under 2 grand. The next step up and still an excellent buy would be the M.32 Krieghoff....breakemall....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.