1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

3200 Dilemma; your thoughts appreciated

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I can resist anything except temptation (and a bargain) and I need <i>another</i> 3200 for my 'Heavy Duck Gun' project like I need another ear (I have two in various states of overhauldom just now), but ...

I'm probably going to buy another 'Trap Grade' - or 'Special Trap Grade' (I surely don't know the difference and I'm not sure the seller does either), mainly because it it a later model (38k s/n), 32" and is priced right, due to remediable cosmetic defects.

It is almost two guns: the timber, bores, chambers, and presumably the internals, are clean, bright and sweet-smelling, but the bbls are bloody-handled tatty-rusty deeper than 'just surface' and there are a few nicks, dings and whops in the receiver & trigger bow.

I rarely think of re-sale when I buy a gun, but in this instance I am. Seller assures me (and he is a known dealer of solid reputation who SHOULD know) the bbls can be buffed-out and re-blued to perfection, and most of the nicks, dings ... would disappear to.

Left to my own devices, and IF this was not a 32" and was NOT my (clearly) redundant 3200, I'd have all the metal bead-blasted and parkerised/cerrocoated, and send it to Briley for new noses, but ...

I would never put a 'percentage' on a re-blued gun, and a 3200 is, after all, a 'commodity' gun, but it IS a 32" and carries a re-sale premium for that fact alone.

Have you thoughts on resale values and finishes? Or should I just brush the rust with Ospho, oil it good and stick it away for a better market for slightly desirable commodity guns?

Bob

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

for the price, i say go for it. if i had the spare funds, I would...

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<i>for the price, i say go for it. if i had the spare funds, I would... </i>

And then do ... what with it?
    - wait on market to improve?
    - parkerise it?
    - send it to gunbluing.com?

Briley it? There is no return on Chokes over factory barrels, is there? I won't buy a gun that is not 'factory' unless it is Briley.

The few doubles or wobble I shoot any more, I can shoot it as is, or with a live-bird gun, so I'm looking at it as a dliemma, because I cannot abide safe-queens.

Bob

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What price? HMB

6. copper

copper Member

I don,t see any upgrade mark by serial # YIKES. And a beat up gun cleaned up buffed to death is not of any value to most people who know anything two strikes. And spend money and then what do you have, Would have to be cheaper than cheap Not me. my two cents

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

send it to gunbluing,,,and leave the factory chokes alone. They should be able to bring it back to life and make it look like new. I'll bet if you put the $ into it, you could probably make a few hundred profit when you go to sell it, it will just take some time and tlc.

The missing pic shows a "." b/w the "OU" and serial #, at least to my eyes.

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

copper: I think everything from s/n 25000 up was updated before it left the factory. Besides, that's a very, very simple fix - just bed the stock.

And that what I was kind-of thinking, too: the people who want a 98% gun and will pay for it are automatically eliminated.

hmb: 7

skeet man: great minds run alike, I think.

Bob

9. copper

copper Member

I will not buy a gun with pits unless is is some thing I would enjoy shooting myself and is bellow cheap. As far as price lots of 3200 around , I have had a couple , I think the upgrades were forend guts and firing pins and some other stuff the stock beding problem ware so many crack just behind safty is I Think what you are refering to. Well there are people on here more verse in 3200 than me. Dave

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

A perfect like new trap would be in the $1400-$1800 around here.

A reblue refinish gun might bring $1200

The barrels look sorry on the outside a good reblue might cost $300 or so refinish the wood to new I charge $250 for a dupont finish.

With 500 or so of work it better be a bargan!

I'd probably pay 700 for it if it was good on the inside.

Joe

11. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

The "upgrade" on 3200 Remingtons is more than just bedding the stock. The tang on the early guns was attached by a pin through the lower part of receiver. The upgrade included attaching the tang with two hex screws through the breech face. The upgrade is about $400 now if I recall correctly. I was just able to open the link to the photos and see that the gun has no lower pin so it was made with the "upgrades" incorporated at the time it was manufactured.

12. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Why are you buying it at all?? This NOT a rare gun.

13. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<i>Why are you buying it at all?? This NOT a rare gun.</i>

Hence my dilemma. It is a reasonable store of future value, I think. Three people here have already offered to buy it from me, as-is.

For the same reason I bought a couple of SX-1 for a couple hundred, each, I suppose.

For whatever reason, a 32" 3200 has a demand and attractiveness in excess of it's utility as a commodity gun - and I never argue with the market.

Over the last several months, here, several people have tried to sell their 30" 3200 for +$1000, including at least one NIB for $1500, and I don't think any of them have sold for their 'ask'.

Yes, they are a commodity gun - with known issues and defects - but the 32" 3200 is a more-equal pig than the 30".

I'll know tomorrow if my offer was accepted.

Bob

Bob

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

file deleted

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Dilemma solved, but not in a positive way.

I was stiffed.

Thanks everybody for your interest and thoughts.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.