1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

32" vs. 34" barrel question.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Bopper, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

I was looking at a gorgeous KX-5, but it has a 32" barrel. Is the 32" barrel obsolete on trap guns? Opinions please. Many thanks! Bob

2. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

No, the only difference is in personal preference. JMHO

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I know many grown men who prefer 32" single barrel. If it feels good to you, then buy it. I'd much rather use a 32" I handled well than a 34-35" I had to coerce into moving.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

zzt's dead on - the biggest consideration is which feels best for you, the individual. The next consideration is that the 34" will likely have a better re-sale only because the often inaccurate belief that "longer is better."....Bob Dodd

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Don't forget, that in the early years, quite a few of them in fact, just about everyone had a 30" barrel.

There have been a whole lot of targets broken with a 30" gun before they ever thought of a 30" barrel.

Hauxfan!

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I like the 32 much better because I'm short and when I put a 34 on my toepad and break open my 99Plus I feel like its in my armpit..too long and feels clumsy

7. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

I'll bet those old model 12's had 30" barrels on em. They won a LOT of stuff wtih those 30" barrels.

Whats that?...............The receiver?

OK, so the sighting plane was somewhere around 37".

Bigbop, the only way you are going to decide is to try a few different guns out.
    I always wondered why somebody didn't put a sliding 2" rib extention on a trap gun. Something like the S&W model 41 pistol. Didn't Ljutic have a little short rib on one of their space guns? Just shows ta go ya. It does all come down to what you like. If you think you might sell that KX5 someday, don't buy the 32".

Speaking of short ribs, I like mine done over real charcoal.

AJ100

AJ100

8. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Bopper,

I was kind of wondering the same thing because I want to move up to a Kx-5 or KS-5 special before very long. I managed to shoot two friends' (KS-5's) guns. One was 32 and one was 34. From the 16 and 25 I shot them the same. I can't say that I noticed any difference in swing or sighting plane. My gun now is a 34 and that is what I am going to go with (and that's the main reason why I'm going with it). It has more to do with the 6" between my ears. If a 32 came around at a good price you shouldn't hesitate. If you have to pay a premium for it, well then you might take a little hit when you sell it as others have mentioned. Hope this helps you.

all the best,
    john

9. Jim Brown (the puller)

Jim Brown (the puller) TS Member

Shot a Browning 2000 for years. When I moved to the Special Trap, I went with the 32" barrels to make it closer to the length of the autoloader and, even with the extended Briley tubes, it's still an inch shorter than the B-2000.

I think a top single at 34" would be a near match in to what I'm used to shooting. If the O/U were available in 34", that's what I would have gotten.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

32 vs 34 trap barrel

trap guns 32 vs 34