1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

32"for skeet?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cynergystan, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

I have been shooting a Cynergy 32",o/u for trap. It is a great gun. I want to try my hand at skeet. Several people (skeet shooters) have said I need a gun with a shorter length, preferably 28". Does it really make a difference? Why? Thanks for your responses.

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

competition skeet shooter used tubed O/U that weigh a ton. The extra weight helps keep the gun moving - important since they use the maintained lead method.
    Longer length only means extra weight. The couple inches difference isn't going to affect how open the pattern is to any great degree.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

since you aren't using subgauge tubes, you won't have any problem @ all, your gun is probably a couple pounds lighter than the average skeet gun anyways. If you find yourself getting beaten by the target, move your hold points out a little or add a little weight to the stock. 30" are currently far and away the most popular, with 32" slowly gaining ground, and 28" slowly loosing it.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Try what you have and after you get used to shooting skeet with it try someone else's gun with shorter tubes. Decide for your self what works. You may end up liking some other gun based on factors other than barrel length. My favorite skeet gun right now is a Rem M1100 skeet grade with a 26" barrel and no bead. The important thing is that you get out there and have fun.

5. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

My daughter and I have shot 26 28 30 and 32. The shorter barrels for International skeet is great because of the low gun starting position. In American skeet to us seem as what you get use to. The 26 i shoot regularly i am use too. When i shoot her 32 it will surely make you follow thru on your swing. To me It depends on what you want to carry around. She likes longer on American skeet and shorter on International skeet. Lots of words to say to each his own. Like was said above, if you can shoot different lengths before you make a purchase would be a wise thing to do.

Our 2 cents worth and good luck!!

6. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

I've shot skeet(please don't tell any trapshooters) with a 32'' hi-rib 303 Beretta trap gun. broke a 99 the first time out. It's probably way longer than your Cynergy so I don't forsee a problem. Try it you'll like it!!

Just my $.02 worth

Larry

7. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

The first time i showed up at the skeet field with my 30" trap gun, the skeeters said i wouldn't hit much because my gun was tooooooo long and tooo tight.

Well after 2 rounds and a 48 to their high 46 they didn't say much.

Now my Beretta is a 32" high rib with extended tubes making it a 33" they said ooooooohhhhhhhh noooooooooooooo ....it's toooooo long, well guess what i still beat them all..So, yes a 32" gun is ok..

8. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I had the same response from the skeet shooters when I showed up with a 32" MX8 choked for live birds. I ran the first 75 out of the house and turned them into powder. I have shot alot of skeet in the past. I still use the same gun for skeet and clays with a stock change and Brily's. Shoot what you can hit them with.
    Go Well
    Wayne

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A 30" O/U is the same overall length as a 26" auto. 26" autos have been popular for skeet since the 60's. I believe Todd Bender is now shooting a 34" O/U.

Jim Skeel

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

bender is currently shooting a 32" K80, as does Larry Woo. Mike Schmidt also shoots 32" DT-10, but at one time shot a 30" barrel on his ASE90 (this was before they offered 32" barrels) w/ a 3" extension Briley built for him that functioned as a screw choke in the top barrel but had a rib extension on it as well, for a total of 33", the longest i've heard of anyone using successfully for skeet so far. With the advances in barrel tuning, backboring, ect, the 30" or 32" of today will weigh and balance the same as the 26" and 28" guns of 30 years ago.

11. finger

finger TS Member

For recreational skeet go for it. If you are going to tube the gun and shoot 500 targets over a weekend in registered events I hope you have superb upper body strength. You will need it by the time you walk out to shoot the .410 at 4:30 on Sunday afternoon. Tournament Skeet is a game of stamina as much as it is a head game. And you have to do that for at least 12 weekends a season if you want to qualify for the All American teams. Thats what makes it so much fun. bob finger

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Your 32" Cynergy is well suited for the task. Put it on paper, determine the POI, and if shoots pretty high, just float the bird.

Most newer Skeet and Sporters shoot a little high. My 30" Cynergy Sporter shoots around 70/30. I hit 98 on the Skeet field the first time I shot it. Shot a 96 on Trap, and 73/75 on the Bunker field the first day I had it.

If I had it to do again, I would buy a 32" Cynergy. I have been hitting the gym pretty hard in preparation for a BRUTAL Law Enforcement Instructor class in three weeks. All my guns are starting to feel like broomsticks.

High shooting guns are good. You don't have to cover the bird with the barrel. Doing this gives rise to the temptation to lift the head to see the bird. Not good.

13. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Only if you are a rather tall person.

Berettaman7

14. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

The longer barrel gives a better sight picture.

I shot a Citori 32", K-32 32" and a 3200 32".

It really only maters in your head so, shoot what you have.

Take care,

Jim

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I shot my TM-1 34 in. full trap gun on a round of skeet "onesies" at a time a few years back. I didn't have any problems moving the gun till I got station 8! Couldn't break those at all but I had fun tryin. Hap

16. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I shoot a MX 2000 with 32" bbls 1.71kg at everything from doves to skeet to Sporting Clays ( really don't shoot trap, just think the folks on this site are neat.) Last week I shot 200 targets averaging around 21/25. All of those were shot with a .25 in one barrel and a .30 in the other. I forgot they were what was in the barrels for the first 25 and just kept shooting them once I realized just to see what I could do. Station #8 high with.30 adds a whole new meaning to dust. I think choke and barrel length are often over worried about.

17. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I just went to a 30 3/4 " sporting barrel, I know several skeet shooters that have gone to 32" and the score have risen. My advise is to use the 32"

Ronbo

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Are videos available from the guy that shot 99 the first time he ever shot skeet and did it with a trap gun?

Or the other guy that shot 75 straight with the full choked long barreled trap gun? first time out also?

I would agree - shoot what you have- dont buy anything special

I will disagree- shorter barrels are much easier to shoot - and unless you have a reasonable expectation based on your past scores- of shooting 100 every time you step on the filed- forget what Bender shoots- and forget what so and so shoots- and forget about the sight plane thing or the myth about follow through- my guess is you will shoot a 28 inch barrel much better than a 32 or even a 30

regards from Iowa

Gene

19. skeet100

skeet100 Member

I have shot with 26-28-30-32

I really like the 30 and 32 the best.

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

When I get old, I will go to a shorter barrel (turned 62 Wed.) LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.