1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

32" barrels for Skeet?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Bopper, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

I'm looking at a K-80 for skeet only. I found one with all of the right goodies, but it has 32" tubes. It's across the country, so I can't try it.
    What's the general concensus on 32" barrels for skeet? Many thanks! Bob

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

32" might be a little long for skeet and without being able to shoot the gun first might also be a another thing to consider. 28" used to be the most popular but many have gone to a 30" but 32" is considered long to swing for skeet.

BTW ... what do you mean by "with all of the right goodies" what goodies are you looking for?

3. Bridger

Bridger Member

If you really want some good information on skeet shooting call Robert Paxton at Paxton Arms. He told me not long ago that the 32 inch skeet guns had not been very popular, that the 30 and 28 remained the best choice for most shooters. A few years ago some of the big names started shooting 32's but not many others. If you put skeet tubes in the barrel, you've got a lot of weight to swing.

4. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

I would bet that once you get used to the 32 inch gun that you will be very pleased with the way it shoots. You will follow through better, not be so jumpy or stabby and prob shoot more consistant scores. Most targets are missed because of a stopped swing, by not jerking ahead of the target and having a better follow through you should gain targets. Sure worked for me.

5. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

If you only shoot 12ga it shouldn't be a problem. Add a set of sub-guage tubes and it will be a handful. It also depends on how big you are. A 300lb guy can handle a 10lb gun easier than a 150lb guy.
    If you are one of the people that let the target beat them and try to chase it down you are going to have problems. If you maintain lead or intercept it's no big deal.

6. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

Thought I wanted 32 inchers but after shooting them in 35 mph wind gust-me thinks not. With a tube set these could get heavy in a hurry. I had a Browning XT with 30 in. bbl and the ultralight tube set and didn't like the weight. I shoot a 4 bbl. set with 28 inchers also trying a 682 Beretta with the 14 oz tube set,kinda like it though . When I start seeing barrels in excess of 36-40 inches I may just have to give up. If it takes a flag pole to break targets at 21 yds theres just no hope for me. I'd look funny w/ gun in dirt and me waveing in the wind. LOL Guess that's why theres apples and oranges we all like different things.
    Keith

7. build4u

build4u Member

I have a newer k-80 I bought with 30 inch barrels with factory choke tubes. I put on a set of 32 inch fixed choke barrels with briley thin walls installed. with out the barrel bulge for the chokes the 32 inch set is about identical in weight. The gun came alive and the balance is way better. I am positive the longer barrel has helped me. My friend did the same set up and sold his 30" set, I kept mine thinking I would use them for skeet and they have never been back on the gun. I shoot the gun only for sporting clays and skeet. It is not hard to get moving or slow down for a second shot at all. You will not regret the 32 inch barrels I would reccomend starting with a fixed choke barrel with thin walls they are lighter. Krieghoff starting making Titanium factory chokes to decrease muzzle weight on factory choked barrels as well, but I have never shot them. I hope this was helpful, David

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Even though I am very strong for my age, a tubed 32" skeet gun was too much for the way I shoot. I generally get H-2, H-3, both 4's, L-5 and L-6 before the stake. Not with the 32, and and was mentioned, dubs are a different matter. Don't buy a gun that will make you totally change the way you shoot!

The 30" tube gun is about right for most folks. By all means, SHOOT ONE FIRST.

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

28" and 30" are far and away the most popular in the general population of skeeters. If you negotiate a 3 or 5 day test drive with the 32" gun, I'd say give it a try but I'd not buy it outright without the agreement to return if not suitable.....2@low8...Bob Dodd

10. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

32" can be used acrossed the board. I have shot one for 5 years and it works for me.

Take care,

Jim

11. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Tried 32`s and they were not for me. Look around you can find all the 28`s and 32`s you want. Without a doubt the 30`s are by far the most popular. But everyone is different.

12. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I shoot with 32's and love them. I HATED it at first and decided to pick up a seperate 'skeet' gun with 28's

Low and behold.... All it took was some dedication and practice. Not to mention lifting weights helps that barrel move a lot faster.

And some weights is a lot cheaper than a new gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

30 inch barrel vs 28 inch barrel skeet

30 or 32 inch barrels

32 barrel for skeet

32 inch barrel for skeet

32 inch barrels for skeet

32inch barrels for olympic skeet
best chokes forbdow ing 32 in barrel for trap and skeet
shotgun barrel length 30 vs 32