1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

31TC Teardown - Where to start

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JunkFarm, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JunkFarm

JunkFarm TS Member

I have a 12ga. Remington 31TC that is all original and matching that was built in Sept. 1947.
    I bought it about 15 years ago and put maybe two boxes of shells through it at that time.
    Last fall I used it for a recreational handicap league but then put it away because I have been using a different gun on the trap range. I have decided to go back to the 31TC because it is simply a superior gun compared to the Stoeger Condor Competition O/U I have been using...Actually as many of you already know, the two of these guns are simply on two different ends of the spectrum.

I have never taken my 31TC apart for thorough cleaning and lubrication other than the barrel.
    Can any of you that have experience with this great pump trap gun get me going in the right direction to tear it down for a good cleaning, inspection, and lubrication?
    Thanks a bunch in advance for any and all responses!

Bob

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

No big deal, the only trick is getting the bolt out. As I remember, you just have to twist it and it has to be in the spot when you do. Play with it, it will come out. It will not slide out without wiggling and twisting slightly

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Start by pushing out the pin which holds the trigger group...pull the trigger group out then carefull observe how the internal bolt and shell latches come out. The first time I did this, it took about an hour to figure out how to put it back together..and it isn't particularly easy. I contacted Remington and they sent me a booklet how to do this. My suggestion...find someone who knows how to disassemble and reassemble - this will help immensely. When the parts are lined up properly (that is the trick) it goes back very easily and you will be amazed how nicely these parts are machined and fitted. Good Luck...Best Regards, Ed

4. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

The trigger group slides toward muzzle then out. Remove shell stops. Slide bolt to rear and the extractors will line up with cuts in action bar slot. May have to slide action bar forward. lift bolt out. Spring carrier to remove take out ejector. Never try to force anything. Cock hammer before reassembling. When you get it right it all fits together. If all else fails box it up and sell it to me. Mike the barrel, bet it will be .740. D Winter

5. JunkFarm

JunkFarm TS Member

Thanks for the replies folks!

Old Doc's steps were the ticket! Thank you kind sir!
    All parts and components look great...no signs of excessive wear...but they sure do need cleaning.
    Time for some elbow grease.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.