1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

3116 cat??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I'm looking to buy a toterhome that has a 3116 cat motor 275 hp.. one of my friends had a fl70 with a 3126 cat and it would not pull the hat off your head.. do any of you know about the 3116.. does it have the torque to pull a couple of pulling trucks on the interstate with out bogging down to 40 on a steep hill? thanks!

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have driven my fair share of rigs with Cat motors. To answer your question on uphill speed there is alot of factors to determine this mostly having to do with weight. How much does the host vehicle weigh? How much does the trailer weigh? How much does the payload weigh? Your seeing the pattern now. Then you have your transmission factors and axle factors. Then you have to remember that torque is what gets the whole shi-bang moving. It's been awhile but i think a 3116 Cat can be cranked up somewhere in the neighborhood of 327-350HP MAX. I have pulled my share of gross loads(80,000lbs total) cross Country with engines similar and less in HP and it wouldn't be my first choice if i were paying the bills. When thats what the company provides, thats what you get. I can't personally answer your question cause there are too many factors missing from the equation. Personally i'd go bigger but that's speaking from someone that had between 400 and 450+Hp(C15 CAT) in my last company rig and it was night and day difference from the old rigs i drove. Then again the trannys went from 10 speeds in the older trucks to 13 and 15 speeds in my later trucks. Hope i at least helped a little.

3. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

I had a Renegade Toterhome with a 275hp Cat 3126. It had an Alison 6 speed auto transmission. We were grossing 38,000 - 40,000lbs with the trailer loaded, and it was a dog on our eastern US hills. On level ground, or slightly rolling hills, it was wonderful

If you had a manual 10 speed tranny, I feel it would be better.

4. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

lol..its a renegade also.. has a 9 speed eaton.. the pulling trucks will weight 6000 to 6500 each.. havent bought the trailer yet.. thanks!!

5. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

There are alot of factors that you need to look at. Weight of entire rig loaded. Tire size. Rear end ratio. Transmission ratio(is it a direct or over drive?). Speeds you want to cruise. Does it have a Jakebrake? I hauled cattle in five states for 15 years, in my own truck. My loads were 80,000+lbs. I had to have 425HP. to do my job, and to get somewhere. Mine was a 3406 Cat, air to air, 15 over, 3.70 rears, and tall rubber. But these new computer set engines are different today. You have more to choose from. I would say that 350 HP would be a minimum. But, go to a Cat. rep. and get some info. Cat is the best, just get one big enough to do the job that you want it to do. Charlie Henderson

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Actually it was designed to be a marine type engine, not that it really makes a difference, but it is a fairly small engine, 402 Cu in, it will put out about 205 hp at 2400 RPM and about 350 at 2800 RPM

7. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

I would stay as far away from that engine as I could.That and the 3126 Cat are terrible engines in reality. Poor fuel mileage and above average maintenance and repair costs. Every other responder talks about horsepower, while that is very important, equally important is the torque an engine produces and at what rpm. Transmission, rear axle ratio, tire size do come into play , but in my opinion i would look at torque and hosrepower. Most vehicles are spec'd by whomever orders it with in paticular guidelines. to prevent dissapointment in the new vehicle purchase, i.e. 350 horse and geared for 175 mph would certainly dissapoint the new owner however he used it. Here is an example to think about, I just saw a GMC commercial for a p/u truck that produces 403 horsepower. If horsepower was the primary concern a gas V-8 would be sufficient.

8. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'd be scared it spin the bottom end out of it @ 2800 rpms.
    We ran the 3406 series and they were OK. No real fuel mileage to brag about.
    Drivers liked them but they weren't paying for the fuel either.

Cat is a good engine....until one of the dealers has to do a head job and goes into it. They're never the same afterward.

Retired Fleet Owner: 30 Peterbilts with Cat power.

9. red_barron1976

red_barron1976 Member

I work on these engines every day. The 275 up 3116 is the top rating for that engine in an on highway application. There is no souping it up to 350 hp as it is a mechanical unit injected engine. You would need different injectors and governor to get more hp. If I remember right that engine is 650 ft lbs of torque. That is what gets you moving. Cat engines are set up with lots of low end torque so running it wound out to 2800 rpm is only a waste of fuel. Like everyone else said gearing and weight make a huge difference. What is the rated towing capacity on the RV? 20k pounds with 2 trucks and a trailer is a lot to tow around. You might be better off with a real semi trick with a bigger engine to tow that much weight and have the trailer be the camper. Most RVs are only designed to tow a few thousand pounds like a boat and their own weight.