1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

311 Stevens firing problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by len loma, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. len loma

len loma TS Member

Have an old 311 that does not fire Federal shells consistantly. Removed pins and they look just fine and springs are not broke or collapsed. Is this because of orginal firing system design does not work well with Federals modern steel primers or just plain weak firing pin springs. Is there a recommended replacement spring kit or upgraded spring kit available for 311? Thank you for the help.

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Look at your primers after firing. Are the indentations shallow or inconsistent? You should be able to get a pretty good read about what is taking place by reading the primer indentations. Check the primer depth on the troublesome shells against a brand that works well. A bit deeper set primers on the Federals? Possibly the more domed shape of the Federal primers? If the hits are off center that could be a problem.

3. spritc

spritc Active Member

Many times the firing pins look fine but they aren't. It doesn't take much wear to make them ineffective.

Steve

4. len loma

len loma TS Member

I doubt if they designned the gun with the intention it would be firing all steel primers. Haven't had time to try some brass faced primer but suspect they will work fine. I will keep you posted.

5. beaker100

beaker100 Member

anyone know where some parts are available for the 311. i need a forearm iron or complete forearm iron and wood for a 20ga. thanks doug hubbart gunsmith (573)286-9905 leave a message (i do not always hear the phone. the shop is loud). jd28hd@aol.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.