1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.308 cartridge in factory .243 box

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by squirrelkiller, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

FYI Winchester Super X, .243 WIN, 100 gr. Power-Point. Bought a box and much to my surprise there was a .308 in the mix. I think there length sorter is working, but there diameter sorter has an issue. Tried to call but have to wait till Monday. If you wonder why your bolt won't close, could be the problem!!!!

Carton No. SRSXR12C E115636 K6778

Rod

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

It probably happened at the store

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Typical scenario: The clerk grabs a box of .243 and .308 to show a potential customer the difference, then screws up which goes in which box when he puts them back on the shelf.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I agree. the machine has all 308's coming out, going into the packaging machinery. they make only one type of round at any time.

I would wager the unusual round was in the end of the carton rather than the middle.

HM

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I had something similar to me this summer, reloading 223's with 73 gr. Berger bullets and in the box was a 65 grain 6 mm bullet.

6. DANNY

DANNY Member

It does not surprise me. I opened a sealed sleeve (5000) of Federal 100 small pistol primers & was using them & found 2 packs of 205 Match small rifle primers in one of the boxes, so do I have 200 small rifle match primers or do I have 200 small pistol primers in a small rifle match primer box? I only shoot target loads, so I am going to use them as small pistol primers. Danny Hutton.

7. g7777777

I think you are confused Danny

They arent made at the same time or maybe even the same facility and they certainly arent packed by the same machine

there might have been tape on the carton but not factory tape

Now a mislabled case of either- yep absolutely

possibly even mislable boxes in a carton

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

thats nothing.. I got a quarter pounder at mcdonalds one day that had 2 patties on it...

9. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Might have gotten screwed up in the store by a customer doing comparison checking of various loads.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have some Winchester new brass with 243 head stamps that are clearly 308's. Came sealed in the component bag. I just keep them around.

11. g7777777

Some of those component bags you get from a dealer- like Midway

Not sure how they package them

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Danny,

While small pistol primers and small rifle primers may be the same size, their priming compound color should be different. At any rate, they are not interchangeable. Small rifle primers are hotter than small pistol primers, and when you use the former in lieu of the latter, you can easily exceed SAAMI maximum pressures.

Chichay

13. DANNY

DANNY Member

Chichay, your comments are very interesting. I just looked at Federal small pistol 100, large pistol 150, & the 2 packs of 205M that i feel was mixed in with the small pistol 100's & they all have a green priming compound. I do not have any Federal rifle primers to look at the color of the compound.
    Gene, your comments are interesting also, but I feel these primers were bought from a reloading supplier. The sleeve (5000) primers had three pieces of one layer tape on them & the 2 packs of 205M primers was in one of the (1000) box of primers. Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.