1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

308 cailiber for deer hunting ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by newcastle, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newcastle

newcastle Member

Hi was wondering if a 308 would be considered a good caliber for deer hunting, and if a browning a-bolt with boss system works for tightening up groups. thanks

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Yes and Yes. The .308 is good for even the biggest of deer with proper bullets. Hap

3. 5spd

5spd TS Member

The .308 ranks among the top 5 cartridges for all north american game, nothing it wont bring down with the correct bullet placement of course.

4. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The .308 is an excellent cartridge for deer and medium sized big game. It has very managable recoil and excellent bullet coefecient. It can be chambered in a "short action" firearm and bullet selection is very plentiful.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Perfect. 150 grain pushed by 52 grains of 760 shoots into the same hole for me.

That and my 257 Roberts are the meat guns.

HM

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

newcastle:

You may want to check out the new Remington VTR (Varmint Tactical Rifle) in .308 Winchester. I bought one this spring and it is compact and very accurate.

I hunted deer with either a 30-06 700 Remington BDL bolt gun or a Marlin 336 lever gun in .35 Remington for over 30 years with much success. However, I sure wish the Remington VTR was available back in the 1970's.

The VTR has a 22" barrel with a built in muzzle break / compensator to reduce recoil. Mine shoots 5 shot 1" groups at 100 yards with ease if I do my part with Remington "green box" express factory ammo.

Try the .308 and you won't be disappointed.

The .308 is also a honey of a cartridge to reload. I like 41 grains of IMR 4895 and a 150 grain Remington PSP Core Lokt bullet. This load yields about 2550 fps and is a real soft shooter on the target range.

Ed Ward

7. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

absolutely!!!!!!!, have seen it used on big moose here in canada,without a doubt all you need for deer, tough to beat

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Most Browning Boss game rifles will shoot under 1/2" at 100 yards. Heavy barreled Boss 308's typically shoot under .3" Both my Varmint Boss rifles, 223 and 308, shoot in the high twos. :^)

You will have to go a long way to beat the Stainless Boss Stalker in 308.

For the best rifle around, look at putting a Moyer's trigger in your Browning. All of my Browning rifles have them. They do require a practiced hand to fit the safety.

9. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

150's get the job done!

10. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Yeara ago, Roy Weathereby said that the 308 was the best all around caliber on the North American continent.

11. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I once thought it was excellent but deer have evolved in recent years to where only a short mag of some sort pushing a bullet approaching the speed of light simply have to be used for any success. If you have any doubts about this just look at any of the trade magazines or the sales info from the companies. Be careful not to remember sagging sales from about five years ago just before all the Oh My God short mags came out. This is very similar to the need of a bass boat that will run in excess of eighty mph because bass have evolved to where you just can't chase one down if you are slower. Honestly, my dad had the saying "You can't improve on dead" a .308 will make deer dead. Have fun!

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

We used it in Southeast Asia with great success.

Curt

13. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

308 is a fine all purpose caliber. It is inherently accurate. If given the choice of having only one caliber to pick, it would be chosen by many. I have no experience with the A-bolt or Boss.

Personally, I use a nostalgic 60 year old JC Higgins FN mauser chambered in 270 with a 10X Leupold.
    It's always been my favorite, and has the same POI accuracy when I switch bullet weights using factory ammo.

14. billn

billn Member

I have one and after sighting it in, the guy I was with said that I could hunt mice in a field and head shoot them. The 150 or 165 grain is great depending on what you are hunting. Very little recoil and very accurate. Most game won't notice the differenc between 1" groups or 1/2" groups when hit in the correct spot.

15. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

I've taken an 18 point Elk & a 19 point Red Stag at 225 yards & 150 yards, respectively with .308s (180 gr Winchester Fail Safe) in New Zealand. The caliber works perfectly.

16. letts

letts TS Member

I have a Stainless 30-06 Savage bolt action. Has been very reliable and shoots 1" groups. Much less expensive than a Browning and US made. 308 very good for deer.

Letts

17. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

On a guided hunt with 4 clients plus the guide, my brother's .308 was the winner taking 4 of the 5 elk tagged. I shot the gun at targets at his vineyard one day and knew that were I ever to seek a one-gun rifle again, it would be a .308....breakemall....Bob Dodd

18. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Years ago, on the back pages of Outdoor Life, they used to have a Q/A page. One of the questions to the editor was:

"Dear Sir, Before I was married, my then girlfriend enjoyed going with me to all the shooting events I attended. I was a diehard trapshooter and hunter. She never complained about any of the trips I took. She told me that I deserved to go and have as much fun as I could. I earned it, she said. I thought to myself, this is the women I want to spend the rest of my life with. She was perfect.

Since two weeks after our marriage, she has done nothing but complain about my shooting and hunting. She has changed 180 degrees. It's like I don't even know her. I have to sell most of my guns and cancel all of my shooting trips out of state. All she does is nag and tell me I should work more and play less. This goes on from the time I wake up until the time I fall asleep. I don't know where to turn. I am about ready to blow my brains out. Can you offer any suggestions?"

The editor replied: "Since trajectory at the distance you described should not be a problem, I suggest the Winchester .308."

AJ100

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The 308 makes a fine deer cartridge.<br>
    <br>
    This is my son Sean with a 150 lb buck he shot last year. His rifle is an old Remington 788 in 308, with an old Leupold M7 4x scope.

20. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Is that a chupacabra on the other side?? ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.