1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

308 auto

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

going to buy a 308 auto.i am looking at a rem742 and a win 100.priced about the same.is one any better than the other.what would be my best bet.

2. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

I have both, I think the Win 100 is a better rifle.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Do you mean semi-auto???

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

BARs are good too...a bit more accurate than the other two in most cases and not a lot extra moneywise if you keep an eye out

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you want a self loading Game rifle, the Browning beats them all. It won't take a detachable mag of any consequence, so will likely be unaffected by any knee jerk laws passed next spring.

6. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

The newer Win./Browning Short trak rifles are not very popular but are VERY accurate.
    My Dad has several M-100 Win.'s and they are good, esp. the carbines are quite handy.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Once the recall is done, the Win M100 is not a bad rifle, but it is long discontinued, and parts/mags are scarce.

8. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

The BAR is an excellent rifle.........As for the ones mentioned, the Rem 742 or Win 100 - I think the Win 100 is the better rifle, I have had and still have Win 100 and Win 88's ) - the Remington 742 is an OK gun- it is easier to take apart for cleaning and maintenance than a W-100 and the fact that parts are an issue for the W-100, gives the edge to the Rem 742 for the average rifleman --- by the way, the 742 (7400) and 760 (7600) points like an 870

9. SCtrapshooter

SCtrapshooter TS Member

I've had both the 742 in .280 Rem. An excellent rifle and caliber. I bought one 1n 1960 and I still have one in the safe.and the Win.100 in 6mm Win. Had firing pin probllems and jamming with the Win. Bought a BAR .243 and traded the Win in. Love the BAR. Now I have the BAR also in .280.
    i

10. darr

darr Well-Known Member

For a few bucks more buy a BAR.In a year you will be happy you did.The triggers on the 2 rifles you mentioned are not good.

Darr

11. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

The BAR is the way to go!

12. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

I like the browning but the way you have to load it leaves me cool plus placing the rifle down on a tree on a jacket for a quick long shot the magazine bottom is too exposed to be accidently pushed and opened. In my life anything that can happen will . Still undecided, even looking at lever action they are more fool proof, still undecided. Lee

13. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

This has been one of the most civil discussions I've seen TS. Congrats. No sniping, no name calling no experts. There ARE gentlemen out there. Happy New Year.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If you are not married to the .308 case itself but want a .30 cal with very similar performance, in fact, almost duplicate performance, and are considering a lever gun, you might consider the Marlin 308 Express.

For a .308 in a lever gun, that leaves either the Browning BLR, or a good used Savage 99 or Winchester 88. The latter two are not seen very often. Most 99s around here are chambered in 300 Savage.

I'm not a big fan of the BLR, but a friend has one in 243 with a 4x scope, and it's a coyote killing machine.

15. RAScott

RAScott Member

I have a BAR 30-06 sweet gun, accurate. has a nice scope and a seethrough scope mount so you can use the iron sights if needed for close shots. jmho the BAR.
    Bob S

16. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I've had two M-100's in .308 Neither was very accurate. The BAR is much more accurate.

17. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I duck hunt with 2 guys that deer hunt in WY/MT both have 308's and they want me to go with them next year so I thought I would buy a 308,then all the amo would be the same. they both shoot bolt act but I have one hand, so the semi auto.this is one of those been there done that. will be a 5 or 6 shot deal.Thank you all for the help.

18. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have a blr in .308. A nice gun but a little slow on the second shot. Very accurate. I have friends [2] that have had problems with the 742, but they were both chambered in 30-06. Cycling problems. Bill

19. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

The problem is there is no problem, its me, the .308 auto is heavier than the BLR, the Browning auto is excellent for a auto.
    Finding a Savage 99.308 is almost nil.
    Brian- the marlin express cartridge leaves too much when they stop producing it, you will wind up having to load it yourself. Its also close to .300 savage why use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.