1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

303 on full auto???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cleboje, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleboje

cleboje Member

Guys, I have never run into this problem before and to tell the truth, it has me spooked about firing this gun again...

I recently experienced three occasions where my 303 fired two shells with only one pull of the trigger. The effect was as if I were holding a fully automatic weapon! I had finished shooting a round of sporting clays without incident, so I proceeded to the skeet field, whereupon shooting doubles the gun fired two shells with only one pull of the trigger on three separate loadings. This may sound impossible, but please bear with me…I know my first reaction was to question myself on whether I had “trapped the trigger” or “fan-fired”, but after having the gun do the very same thing on two additional loadings, I had visions of the gun blowing up in my face, so I decided to send it to the gunsmith to check things out.

I should mention that I am not the original owner, so I can’t verify how many rounds the gun saw under its former owner. Upon buying the gun, I contacted Cole’s and received and installed a replacement butt-stock recoil spring. I also invested in some aftermarket work after I replaced the recoil spring. I sent the gun to Seminole for a trigger job and recoil pad installation in Aug 2006. I then sent it to Briley for lengthening of the forcing cone and thin-wall screw choke installation in Nov 2006. The gun worked well after all of these jobs and did not begin to malfunction until just recently.

I should also add that I am no neophyte when it comes to firearms as I have over 20 years of active service in the US Army and am not a slouch when it comes to keeping my firearms clean…that is to say, I truly don’t think the problem is a result of a dirty gun.

What could be the cause of my 303 going full auto???

Joe

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I bet the previous owner had the trigger lighten up because I used to have a 302 before that I had the trigger worked on to make it lighter and it would double on me also.

I don't know what the poundage from factory is and how light you can go with it but if you or anyone has a guage to read the trigger pull weight then check to see what it is.

Im sure others on here has might could tell you the factory pounds.

Foghorn220

3. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I also have a 303 that had the same problem when I got it. I had a good friend of mine take a look at it and after inspecting it he told me that someone filed the sear off of the hammer to lighten the pull or something like that not sure if my memory is that good. At any rate, I contacted Beretta and ordered a new hammer for it. Once it was installed I have had no more problems. I know exactly what you are talking about though, it really freaked me out as well. Mainly because of saftey issues and I am not quite that fast on my second shot of doubles.
    Jason

4. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I have shot 303's exclusively for about 10 years and i had it happen only once.The cause for me was a piece of plastic from a shell got caught just right in the trigger and it would shoot as fast as the bolt would operate without even pulling the trigger.It is a surprise to say the least.Don't know it that is possible for yours but i would check for anything in the trigger and that includes a piece of shot.If Seminole worked on the trigger they will make it right if there is a wear issue.Let everyone know what it turns out to be.

5. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

I have shot my 303 for 18 years with NO problems to report.

Berettaman7

6. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Joe, the problem is most likely the sear interrupter(my name), the spring loaded thingy on the top and back of the trigger. I would send it back to Seminole, because they are most likely responsible for it when they adjusted the pull on your trigger. It manifested itself now because tolerances were so close that the small amount of wear in these few months put it out of tolerance. Replacing the part Seminole modified will solve the fanfiring problem, but remove your trigger job. To verify, remove the trigger group from the gun, hold the trigger back, push the hammer back as far as it will go and release it. The spring loaded thing should catch the back lug on your hammer and prevent it from falling. Slowly release the trigger. The trigger should catch the front lug on your hammer when the spring loaded thing releases it.

Buz

7. cleboje

cleboje Member

Well, I checked out the trigger group to see if I could see the problem.

I found out the hammer has the 'tip' of the top rear filed down a lot. It looks odd compared to the normal hammer 'tip' of my other 390 and 391 hammers.

I tried the sear out as Buz described and the trigger did not hold the hammer when I slowly released it.

Something is just not right...I will call Seminole and see what they have to say.

Joe

8. cleboje

cleboje Member

I finally got the time to give Seminole a call about the 303 doubling.

They connected me to the gunsmith, Randy.

Randy was not surprised when I told him of the symptoms...he said that he had seen this a number of times and that it is a simple fix and he only needed the trigger assembly and not the entire gun.

I asked him if the trigger was at fault and he replied that the trigger is not the part that has to be repaired to fix a gun that is doubling.

I boxed the trigger assembly up and sent it priority mail today.

Is it OK to expect that Seminole will repair the doubling trigger assembly for free?

After all, they did the original trigger work just nine months ago.

Joe

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Doubtful they'll "buy" the work since they have no idea what's happened to the mechanism since they had it. I'd expect to pay for the repair and hope to be pleasantly surprised if they do cover it. Better to think that way than to expect them to fix it free and be really disappointed....breakemall....Bob Dodd

10. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Seminole will fix it for free as long as no one else has messed with it.Randy Mitchell is a stand up guy and will make it right with no questions asked.I have a couple of Seminole triggers in 303's and have nothing but good things to say about their work.Good luck.

11. cleboje

cleboje Member

Well, the trigger assembly arrived at Seminole this morning and they had it fixed by this afternoon!

I will give them a call in the morning to see what the damage is...

Joe

12. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Damn! How soon can we get the box mag and belt fed verions! Sweet!

13. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I found the Remington 1100 can fire five shots quickly enough to have it sound like three - and hit targets. It's cyclic rate is somewhat better than an M-3 Grease Gun and just below an MP-40 - as a semi!

14. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Steve, Would you care to share that nifty tidbit of 1100 info.

Jim

15. cleboje

cleboje Member

Called Seminole today...very friendly folks with great customer service.

They fixed the trigger assembly the same day they received it in the mail! Turns out they had to do some additional work on the 'interrupter'.

My only cost for the repair was the shipping both ways...Randy and his crew are a class act.

Good service from good folks.

Should have it back by the weekend...can't wait to get it out on the clays range and give it a test drive.

Joe

16. blaster

blaster Member

Had the same problem. the 2nd catch is broke.

17. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

Seminole Gun Works does it right, from chokes that will not build up crud to great work on all guns. Fast Frank

18. cleboje

cleboje Member

The 303 trigger group made it's way from Mims, FL and was dropped off by UPS today a little after 3 p.m.

Checked it out and the 'second catch' feature works like a fine swiss watch.

Randy did a very good job of getting the trigger back into shape...should no longer have the 'doubling' problem.

Now on to check the 303 trigger out on some clays at the Bull Run, VA range in the morning.

Woo Hoo!!! Can't wait...

Joe

19. cleboje

cleboje Member

Well, the test drive of the 303 with repaired trigger is done and the results are....

No problems what-so-ever!

Shot a round of sporting clays and three rounds of skeet...and the gun's trigger was flawless...everything worked just the way Beretta intended it to.

Thanks again to Randy Mitchell and the crew out at Seminole Gunworks...they honored their work, made the repair at no cost to me and took extra care to ensure they had a satisfied customer.

Good people doing good work!

Thanks again to Seminole!

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.