1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

303/390 barrel question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Are the barrels on these guns interchangeable? My 303 has a 32" inch barrel stamped "Special Trap." I tried it on my 390, and it almost fit but didn't seem to seat by 1/8" or so. The forearm went on the 303, but also was a bit short of proper seating. The gun cycled fine with a snap cap in place.

Danny

2. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

No, they are not.

The buttstocks and triggers are interchangeable.

The forends are not.

Ric C.

3. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

Sorry, I was thinking 390/391.

Never mind.

Ric C.

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I shoot a 303 32" barrel on my 390 and many people I know do. You have to either modify the forend (what I do) or the barrel (careful, cause you can cut too deep and get into the gas ports). Phil Hughes, the now deceased gunsmith at Seminole Gun Works first fitted one for me approx a dozen years ago. Back in "the days", Sporting shooters liked the 303 barrels on their 390s because all the 390 barrels were step rib and using a 303 barrel was the only way to get a flat rib gun.

Ballistic Specialties (Angle Port) sold a zillion 303 fixed choke barrels that were fitted with their own screw chokes for Sporting Clays.

5. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

claybrdr,

Modify the forend how? Cut the barrel where?

Danny

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Inside the forend at the front there is a steel band that actually bears on the angled front of the gas housing on the 303 barrel that keeps the barrel fully seated. With a Dremel cut-off disc and files, I cut this band back until it is the right width to secure the barrel in battery and allow the forend to fully seat. Take off a little at a time until the barrel is fully seated (as you said, the forend won't go on all the way at the beginning).

Understanding the above, you can visualize how a notch would have to be cut in the 45 degree angle of the lug in front of the gas chamber so that the unmodified forend will snug up all the way.

Clear as mud probably but I'm no gunsmith and not really sure how to describe it any better. I can't imagine there not being a gunsmith around where you live that couldn't easy do it if you're afraid to tackle it.

7. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

claybrdr,

I probably can get the forend to seat, if that's the issue. Once modified, the 390 forend would most likely work on the 390 barrel with a washer or two.

However, the 303 barrel itself will not completely seat into the 390 receiver. I don't think it's a problem with the gas chamber. It looks to me like the receiver end of the barrel is not seating in the receiver.

I'll look again in good light. Anyone else know if this barrel should fit?

Danny

8. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

The buttstocks of the 303 and 390/391 are not interchangeable. The 303 lacks the cut for the shims between the stock and the receiver.

390 and 391 stocks are interchangeable.

The 303 barrel will not interchange without the modifications described by claybrdr. As noted, thousands were converted primarily for SC shooters who wanted a flat rib. In addition to Angle Port, Seminole Gunworks in Fl. was a leading practitioner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.