1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

302 Hammer ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gun Dog, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

For my latest project I bought a Beretta 302 Special Trap receiver. I got everything put together and was fiddlin around with it when I discovered the trigger pull was extremely light with very little creep. I then discovered the damn thing was so light it would go off when on safe.

When I took it apart I noticed the little catch on the hammer that hooks the trigger was way shorter when compared to the ones on a couple of my other Berettas.

Was this manufactured this way , or did some one just file it off ?
    It just looks too good to be someone with a file, and it looks like there is blueing still on the shortened surface. Is it part of the "special trap" designation? Aftermarket Part? or just a Hack job? Any Input Appreciated

William

gundog_2009_260510.jpg

2. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

If it goes off with very little creep or pressure it has been messed with for sure by someone. Beretta factory triggers have a half mile of creep followed by a 15 lb pull before they go off. It may very well be in the trigger itself and not the hammer. Is there any chance the trigger was a release and then converted back to pull?

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Another unfinished story...........If the face of that sear was ground or filed it would be shiny steel rather than a blued surface. You can verify this by scratching the side of the hammer with an awl, the color does not go all the way through.

Your symptoms indicate a need for a new hammer.

HM

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i think it may have been a release that was converted back. Sometimes the release hook and hammer need a little "help" to make them work properly. motordoc

5. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

Thanks Fellas, It sure could have have been a release at one time. I bought only the receiver and it wasn't shot very much so I doubt it was wore out. I'm going to replace the hammer anyway as it is unsafe the way it is. I switched this hammer with another one and this trigger group worked fine.

It just looks like it was made that way before it was blued

Motordoc, You suppose if I bought one of your release hooks, these two would work flawlessly together !? LOL

6. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

motordoc has it right most likely. I've shot Beretta autos since they first came out. I shoot a release and always have. I have a box of spent or broken hammers that have all been modified much in the way yours has. I've never seen a factory or aftermarket hammer manufactured any different than standard factory unless it was modified for a release or modified for a lighter trigger pull. I've always used a modified model 12 hammer spring to speed up hammer fall and crisp up trigger. If you do that, it's best to make a hardened trigger pin with hardened bushing to keep slop out of the trigger. The heavier spring with a release will break hammers from time to time. I've had tool and die makers make me custom hammers of special steel and or hardness...and all eventually broke with the model 12 hammer spring. Alan Timney made several for me over the years and all eventually broke. Hope this helps...

milt

7. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

A little food for thought...
    That blued surface you refer to could have easily been touched up with a marker pen. It would not be the first time something like that has been done. Same old thing...buyer beware.

Larry

8. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

Larry, I Do believe your right. Marker or a little cold blue but either way its blacker than coley's a$$.

There is a new development since I'd hate to leave an "unfinished story"
    I put the modified hammer in the other trigger group (the one I robbed the unmolested hammer from) and put that gun back together. This gun is not wore out but has seen alot more use. It will now go off when the action closes. She's Full auto so to speak.

If someone modified this hammer for a lighter pull trigger they went TOO FAR !

I guess now I 100% agree It was for a release setup. I suppose someone took their release hook back out before sending it on down the road and didn't bother to replace the hammer.

"Buyer Beware" You can say that again.

BTW this receiver did NOT come from this site.

Thanks again Guys, William

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.