1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

30 yard line?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BeerKing, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

9' x 4'(wide walk) = 36 sqft x 5 posts 180 sqft would take 2.25 yds of concrete at 4" thick. you do the work couple of hundred dollars. Hire it done here in the midwest $650.00.

2. jhoward

jhoward Member

Provided you only extend the posts and don't pour a walkway between posts.

3. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Post 5 on one trap may be able to shake hands with the guy on post 1 on the next trap also.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Does 3 hole equal 30 yds. Rog?

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Beerking is pretty much on the money. The contractor would burn a couple hundred bucks just mobilizing and cleaning up after the job was done.

Also would have to consider site work if any fill was needed under the new concrete.

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

No matter how much concrete is poured to extend the trapline, the bottom line is that the good shooter's will remain good shooters and the crappy shooters will remain crappy.

Curt

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Didn't the ATA do this some time back when they went from 25 yards to 27? Did it have the intended outcome we're trying to achieve with the change from 27 to 30?

I'm pretty ambivalent to the whether the ATA does this or not.

But I don't think it will have the intended outcome some people think it will.

As stated above, the good shooters will still win, and the also-ran's will still be also-ran's.

9. oleolliedawg

I often wonder if some individuals really understand the silliness of their posts-especially the ones that often state top shooters will win regardless of their handicap yardage. At what yardage do they suggest top shooters will no longer dominate the handicap event? Do they even know anything about long yardage handicap? I suggest not!!

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I think we should consider going the other way. Lets have a 14, and 15 yard line. I think this will make more people competitive and would probably attract a lot of skeet shooters too. HMB

11. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Dog: I think you have it now! Reducing the shot charge or increasing the angles will do nothing but enhance the Big Dawgs' domination of the handicap game! Increased yardage is the only thing that will work without hurting the "average" shooters' chances! Tom Rhoads

12. oleolliedawg

hmb, the only problem with that proposal is too few shooters average in Singles what top 'dawgs average in Handicap. Move 'em back!!

13. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

When the ATA was at 25 yards Arnold Reigger absolutely dominated big money handicap shooting. When they went to 27 yards it was the end of Mr. Reigger's domination. 27 yard shooters did not dominate handicap for many years after. So the quick answer to your question is YES when we went from 25 to 27 yards it did have the desired results.

14. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Roger, there is a reason it is called handicap and 27 yards is no handicap to Leo, Harlan and the Big Dogs.

jim brown

15. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

And, they can smile on the honorary punch system, all the way to the bank.

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Roger,

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm not convinced a change is necessary or desirable. I don't recall ever having complained about how good other shooters are.

It was you who suggested the game needed a change to increase the handicap yardage to 30 yards. I assumed your suggestion was an implication that the game needs to be made more difficult for the best shooters to somehow stop them from dominating the game. Have I misread your intention with your original post about the cost of concrete to increase the yardage? If so, my apologies.

If that is the case, I just don't believe it will achieve the intended outcome. At least, not in the long run.

I was not shooting trap when the change was made to go from 25 to 27 yards. But for those of you who were, how long was it before the 27 yard shooters started dominating the game? Yes, I suspect if the change is made to go to 30 yards maximum, at least for a short time the guys at 28, 29, and 30 yards will not dominate the leader board. But eventually, I believe they will, and we'll be back to where we started.

Then what? 33 yards? 35 yards?

As I said, I'm ambivalent about it. I don't care if the ATA makes this change.

Perhaps I'm only playing devil's advocate.

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Handicap them like horses. Make them carry extra weight ha!

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

No not extra weight, less weight. Each time they shoot a winning score from the 27 yard line, remove ten pieces of shot from each of their shells. When they get down to zero shot in their shells then maybe you will have a chance of winning. HMB

19. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I wonder what the game would be like if the yardage would have been extended to something like 45 yards or far enough that it would be impossible to break a score.
    What would the "pro's" do if they could only win 16's and doubles?

20. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

First: Leo, Harlan, Marshall, Kiner do not come to our club.
    Second: Small clubs like ours would have to do away with our parking lot in order to expand to a 30 yard line field. (even if it was 1 field only) Many clubs are land locked to begin with so expansion is not possible.

If the 30 yard line actually becomes a reality....then we can only throw registered doubles and singles targets. What happens then.....shooters quit coming. Then....program gets shut down & out of business.

Regardless of the cost of pouring concrete this suggestion is very poorly thought out.

I'm sure that there are other options to increase the difficulty without adding concrete to increase yardage. (wobble 27 yard handicap??)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.