1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

30 yard line possible with today modern technology

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, Jun 5, 2013.

1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Have you ever watched our top shooters smoke targets from the 27 yd. line? With todays technology, ammo and guns,they make it look pretty easy. I am a short yardage ATA but long yardage games shooter. We shoot a lot of targets from the 32 yd. line and beyond with trap loads and heavy loads. I have no doubt that our gifted shooters can compete at the 28 yd. line & beyond. Get up a practice shoot from off the concrete. You may be surprised at the distance you can break targets. Lets put the handicap back in handicap trapshooting. No more honorary yards. We don't have to stand on concrete.
    Clyde

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

A lot of clubs don't have the room to move back. Why don't we move the trap houses forward, do it that way.

3. running bear

running bear Member

Dickgtax, It cost more to move houses than pour concrete and some can't move houses>

Buck

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

We used to shoot 5 for $5 from approx 45 yards with out of the box Nitro 27's and Super Handicap loads, winner take all ... The guys shooting the big boomers didn't win any more than the people shooting factory ammo ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

No where do the rules require concrete to stand on. Jimmy Borum

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

27 yd must shoot 1 oz supplied by (purchased from) onsite suppliers.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

BigM-Perazzi, Debra "O" Neilson did that and broke 100 from the 27.

Are you thinking it would make much difference?

Jimmy B. is right, I'd rather stand on rubberised belting over a compacted bed of sand myself. Better for old legs anyway.

Hap

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Hap, I don't know, just wondering in the big picture if it would have a measurable affect...

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I can think of places where you'd either have to move the traphouse or move the clubhouse.

10. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Face it, Handicap is 27yd trap. If you want to win, then that is where you will end up. There sure is a lot of "churn" over this. I guess it is the gambling aspect that really gets people fired up.

11. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Thats right Hap, she did.

Just throw 50 yard targets. SOS

OBTW, 27 yard targets are not easy!

Barry Kemper

12. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

Mr. Kemper is dead on.

Oldtimer do a search and you will find this has been discussed over and over many times in the past few years .Good luck finding one solution on this site.Few for 30 yds.Many not due to cost and room to build on.Why more concrete? When the traps are no where near the max the can whip a target out.I myself have a hard enough time as it is and really don't need help missing>

TD

13. twotimer

twotimer Member

If there isn't room to extend the range back pass the 27yd line, why not just put ten cranks on the trap machine and speed it up. Wouldn't that end up about the same result as stepping back a couple yards? Mike

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"Mr. Kemper is dead on."

Terry D., exactly, he is spot on in the fact our game needs a tad more difficulty but not for you and I and 90% of ATA's shooters. For us and so many that do shoot from the max yardage, some, all the time, some less, have a tough time breaking good scores from there. When we changed the rule adopting 34 degree angles, it almost guaranteed "some" shooters, so gifted, would master the max with higher averages and they have. In my opinion, we should do what we can to do away with the perception caused by that change for the overall good and longevity of our sport.

Hap

15. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

We are talking about the bigger shoots. Our gifted shooters don't participate at the 1 to 4 house layouts which have little room for expansion.

16. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

When we shoot a game called "Chinese" the last shots are taken from what we call "the grassy knoll." It's about 40 yards back. The good shooters hit with factory shells.

17. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

If you don't go back 3 yards. Throw the targets 3 yards longer.

The difference, it's more difficult due to the speed of the targets leaving the trap house.

Try it if you don't so.

I have shot a million targets with Kay Ohye, you would be shocked at how much more difficult a faster target is compared to a 47 yard target at 30 to 37 yards

Barry Kemper.

18. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Larger billiard tables, bigger tennis courts, longer football fields, smaller basketball hoops......... It's all a relative thing, those who can will and others will struggle.

Robert

19. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

Great day to shoot

It seems everyone wants to make it harder on the top shooters and a whole lot easier on themselves. And after the top shooters master the 30yd do we go to 40yd I see alot more short yardage shooters winning more than the long yardage shooters

Whats next 3/4 ounce for the top shooters and 1 1/4 ounce for the rest.

I respect the top shooters for their ability Its no different in any sport those that play and those few that excel Trapshooting could have a pro circut and where do you think the money and sponsors would go They could make the grand a pro only event and where would that leave the rest of us ???

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Barry is correct. Unfortunately, the shooters we're trying to help will likely be devastated by tougher targets!!