1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

30 vs 32

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

when looking for a trap gun, i tried several. 34" barrel I couldnt help but look at it while shooting.

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I feel there is no difference between a 32" and a 30" barrel as far as performance. That being said, it seems to be what "feels" better to the shooter. I feel the 32" barrels swing smoother than the 30". A smaller person might feel the 30" is much smoother. I think the difference between the 32" barrels and the 30" barrels is really decided by the 6" between the shooters ears. :) Ed

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

esoxhunter is 100% correct. I am 6'3" and 32" barrels work fine for me, but someone shorter might feel more comfortable with 30". You gotta try both. Best Regards, (another) Ed

4. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

To me the 32in. O/U barrels are a tad long, however I have shot them on Handicap and done well with them. As posted above, the best idea is to try each and decide for yourself.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

For me, a heavy longer barreled gun swings smoother and is less likely to stop swinging until the shot is fired. I am not convinced swinging the barrels in a gun shop will help one make the best decision. Shooting them on the line is the best way to tell which is best.

Pat Ireland

6. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Dick Bennett states in his book "Trapshooting Is A Game Of Opposites", that a longer barrel with a longer sight radius gives a truer point to the target. His words not mine.

I shoot the 32" XT, but most people do seem to prefer the 30" XT. If I wanted something to shoot primarily trap with, and then maybe an occasional round of sporting clays, I would probably opt for the 30" barrel on the XT, and I know folks who do just that. If I only wanted to shoot trap with it, I'd probably stick with the 32".

You can break a lot of targets regardless of the barrel length, so I would let personal preference dictate the choice of one over the other. - JoeBerg

7. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I've run the gamut - started with a 30" 391, went to a 32" Browning, then a 34" 682 topsingle, now I'm back to 30" XT. I find there is not a lot of difference between a 30 or 32. I did think however, that the 34" was just too long for me (I'm only 5'4) and heavy as well. Honestly, there were days I felt I could just poke at the target and hit it - that's how long it felt to me sometimes.

I was concerned that the 30" XT was going to be too whippy. Not true, for me. It feels balanced and I have control. Too me, that's important. We are getting along just fine!!! Just another opinion.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Another personal decision. What's good for one may be miserable to another. You must try and test drive the choices and make your own decision....Bob Dodd

Sherree - I can't resist, you're 5'4" and heavy too or you're 5'4" and the gun is heavy too!!!<;-)

9. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Bob.... very funny!!! The gun Bob...the gun was too heavy! LOL

10. ALF27

ALF27 TS Member

WHEN WE DESIGNED OUR "MODEL TWIN", WE DECIDED TO MAKE THE BARRELS 31" ... NO DECISION NECESSARY.

LARRY D. ALFERMANN ............ ALFERMANN USA

11. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Active Member

Barrel weight also comes into play along with length. I have a Beretta 682 O/U & an MX-8 O/U, both with 32" bbls. but the Beretta bbls. weigh 1.42 kgs. while the Perazzi bbls. weigh 1.67 kgs. I weigh 205#'s so the MX-8 definitely swings smoother for me but a smaller person may prefer lighter barrels. John

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Being quite tall (6'1") I find the 32" O/U rests comfortably on my toe between shots. More so than the 30" which isn't quite long enuf' to reach my toe.

John C. Saubak

ps--short people might prefer the 30"

13. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

John<br> I have the opposite problem. When I shoot the 30 or 32", they rest just right on my toe. The 34" barrel cock my arm up at such an angle, it puts a cramp in my shoulder. You barrel length may vary. Omaha

14. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Uh John, we prefer "vertically challenged." LoL

I didn't have any problem resting any of them on my toe, but still felt the 34" was too long overall. I'm with Omaha, your barrel length may vary...

15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I shoot a 30" Browning Superposed ST-100 for doubles and wish it was 32". Without side ribs on the bbls. it light on the front.

16. Mr. Professional

Mr. Professional TS Member

I rest the gun on my toe, and the only difference is how far i have to stoop over to drop a shell in. I am 6 ft tall and i like the K-32 32'' topsingle and a 30 inch over/under. obviously, the shorter barrell, the quicker swing and "seeimgly" more weight to the butt of the gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.