1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

30 rd. 223 mags

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

Does anyone have a good way to store a large number of 30rd., 223 mags? Other than ammo cans. Over the years I've seen some racks mounted on the wall or mounted on the safe door. Pictures would be nice as well.

Yes, I admit it. I'm a storage freak and like organization.

cap

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Are you sure you aren't expecting a war?

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The square plastic tubs kitty litter come in.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I call BS on the mag spring wearing out from being kept loaded. Old myth I once bought into as well. Found this when I wondered myself if this was true.

Spring Creep:<br>
    Creep is the slow flow of a non-ferric metal like copper, brass and lead under force. At temperatures outside of a furnace, steel doesn't have any appreciable creep. Under most conditions, steel flexes and then returns to its original shape. When pushed past its elastic limit, steel will bend and not return to its original shape. All designers of well-made magazines make sure the spring never approaches the elastic limit when the magazine is fully loaded. This means the spring will not weaken when the magazine is fully loaded -- not even over an extended time. Like 50 years. American Handgunner recently ran a story about a magazine full of .45 ACP that had been sitting since WWII and it ran just fine on the first try.

5. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Was desert dirt or fine dust any issue with your mags? just respectfully asking. Please do not take it wrong..

6. oz

oz Active Member

don't forget the government buys from the lowest bidder when it comes to the military. try some commercial magazines ie pmag or (my recommendation (C-products) made by a veteran from the sandbox.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    New or good used USGI aluminum 20 and 30 round mags are fine.

Magpul P-Mags in 20 or 30 round are excellent.

Just don't get any of the crappy steel mags. They are garbage. I have a pile I bought for almost nothing, and that's what they're worth. I hand them out to newbies with AR15s to get them started and advise them to buy better mags and pitch these.

For those in states where magazines for hunting are limited to 5 or 10 rounds, Magpul makes 5 and 10 round block kits for their 20 round P-Mags. These are uber reliable. Unlike the Bushmaster five round hunting mags, which have given me a 50% failure rate. The Magpul 20 round P-Mags are approx. $13 each. The 5 or 10 round plug kits are $13 for three. So a set of three plugged mags will cost less than $18 each, which is much better than the $26 to $29 Bushmaster wants for their crappy 5 round mags.

As far as storage, the 30 rounders take up more room not only because of their length, but they are curved, effectively making them wider.

Myself, I prefer the shorter 20 rounders, because they work better from a bench, prone, or other tight positions, than the longer 30 rounders, plus they store easier. Even so, I still have a small pile of GI 30 rounders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.