1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

30" or 32"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starship, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

Currently shoot a Browning 425 with 30" barrels. Mostly Sporting Clays and Skeet. I have recently gotten interested in Trap. The 425 does pretty well but actually thinking of getting a real trap gun.

While I have pretty much decided on the gun I was wondering what the feelings are on barrel length? Should I stick with 30" as that's what the 425 is and I'm used to that gun or should I go with 32" for the trap gun?

Any comments regarding 30" vs 32" is appreciated.

While I'm at it can anyone recommend a reputable FFL in the greater Portland Oregon area?

Thanks

2. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I myself have always used 30" barrels on my o/u's. I have shot 32's, but they are just a little bit heavier. I have used the 30's for everything from singles to doubles to 27 yd. handicap. I use 30" with a MOD to FULL choke all the time. I use the MOD from 16 all the way back to 27. I can use the full the same. The only time I use longer, is when using a single. My BT99 Plus was a 34". It didnt feel comfortable to me at short yardage. I did like it for 27 yards though. Again, I could use the MOD or FULL from 16 to 27. Its all "just my opinion" Steve

3. jamma

jamma TS Member

I have a Browning Citori XT Ultra w/ 32" barrels. I've used 28", 30", and 32" for trap, and I find that I prefer the 32"... It has slowed my swing down a bit, but it also makes things smoother. I guess it's pretty much a personal choice. Jim

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I would stay with the 30" barrels. This shouldn't affect your swing as much when you shoot the other disciplines with a gun that you're accustomed to shooting. Just my opinion.

ec90t

5. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Depends on the trap gun you have in mind. - JoeBerg

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

It's all a matter of what feels more comfortable. Most times shooters that are bigger in stature prefer the 32" and smaller individuals prefer 30". Shoot both and decide. Ed

7. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

I like the 32" barrels, I have two BT-99's and both of them have 32" barrels, they are good from the 16 to the 27, but a 32" O/U will be heavier.

8. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I'm on the "personal preference/try-'em-both-then-choose" side of the fence.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have two guns, both over/unders, exactly the same model, except one has 30" barrels, and one has 32" barrels.

I prefer the 32" barreled gun for trap, and the 30" barreled gun for sporting clays and skeet.

Your mileage may vary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.