1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

30" or 32" for new trapper?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Lefty Trapper, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lefty Trapper

Lefty Trapper TS Member

Hi guys. Need some advice.

Looking to buy a new trap gun. I mainly shoot skeet and sporting, but am ready to make the investment.

Do you recommend 30" or 32" barrels?

If you are partial to one over the other, I'd love to know why.

Thanks.

Josh

2. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Josh, if at all possible, try a few different guns before you buy. The absolute #1 best thing to do above all else would be to make sure the gun fits you and your style of shooting. Some guns (like the Browning XT with 32" barrels) seem to feel a bit too barrel-heavy for me where the 30" feels about right, but other shooters may prefer the barrel-heavy feel. The Beretta 682 with 32" barrels, however, feels just right to me since their over/unders are not quite as barrel-heavy as the Brownings.

The gun that fits you and gives you solid hits on targets when you shoot the gun the way you like to shoot is the RIGHT gun for you regardless of barrel length. .....Rick

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

If you are under 6' tall, 30" may feel more comfortable; 6' and over 32" may work. Best advice already posted: do your dead level best to shoot both..then decide. Regards, Ed

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

SHOOT BOTH, I am 5'7" and the 30" XT is the gun for me. I use it for everything

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

+1 on the previous comments. The best barrel length is the one that is most comfortable for you. In my case, I shot a 32" Browning O/U for several years, but never felt comfortable or that I really had control of the gun, especially in sharp angles. Now my Beretta combo has 30" barrels and for me that is ideal. Long enough to provide good movement keep going, but light enough to get started easily and smoothly. Balances the same as the unsingle barrel of the combo (34"). Others seem to do better with longer barrels. So you really need to try both to see what works for you. Note that it may vary depending on the gun also. Browning barrels seem to be a bit heavier than say Beretta barrels for instance, so longer may feel right in a Beretta, but not in a Browning. Each gun will be, and feel a bit different. Try as many as possible.

6. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Josh, FWIW ignore the length of the barrels entirely, and get the gun that arrives at the target when your brain is ready to shoot. Some 30's are like a bucket of bricks to swing, some 32's are like lightning. Cheers-Graham.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.