1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

30 in barrel is it to long on a semi for skeet

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biggunone, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biggunone

biggunone Member

I looking to buy either rem 1100 comp 30 in,browning golen clays semi and this you could get a 30 in or a 28 in,or wincester flanigun sportig super x3 and that comes in a 28 in barrel.I rather have a 30 or longer on a o/u gun but i am not sure what to get on a semi,the gun is for my son for xmass and we like to shoot all the clay games,but i not sure about shooting skeet with a 30 in semi sporting should not be a problem or trap.Thanks for any help.

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

How old is your son??? His he small, medium, or large for his age??? Is he strong for his age??? Let us know. Break-em all. Jeff

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I have a 28 inch with screw in chokes on my 1100 and it works well for all the games. HMB

4. biggunone

biggunone Member

My son is 5 11 around 200 lbs works out very solid frame and he is 30 yrs old. I realy like the 1100 but with a 30 in barrel might be long for skeet, i know you could buy a 28 in but it would not be over bored the same as the 30 in barrel that comes with the gun.So now i might go with either the browning golden clays semi auto 28 in barrel,but does this cycle well,or the winchester sporting super x 3,thanks for any help.

5. 3on8

3on8 Member

First of all, barrels for 1100's are cheap. 100 to 200 dollars used so you can make you gun a barrel set. I use a 28 inch barrel for skeet, and change the barrel to a 30inch step rib for trap. On the trap barrel I drilled two holes and bent a wire to make a shell catcher. A 30 inch barrel on a skeet gun also works well. It is especially nice from stations 3,4 and 5.

RL

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'm no skeet authority but do enjoy shooting it. Have been shooting a Beretta AL 391 Urika 2 Sporting w/ 30" barrel and this gun comes highly recommended. I also shoot a 30" Citori Sporting for targets other than trap.

I would purchase what fits the best. The Berettas are adjustable and I find this a great feature on them.

I've hunted for many years (still do) with Remington 1100's, 11-87's and Wingmasters. They are my go to guns. But, in my opinion a Remington target auto doesn't compare to a Beretta auto. My opinions are based on a Remington Sporting 12 that I've bought, I expected better results, it just didn't work well for me and I never liked. Mechanically it is fine, it must be a fit or mental issue with it but, it does have nice wood on it.

7. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

It is especially nice from stations 3, 4 and 5. It will eat your lunch on 3, 6 and 8. I would go the used second barrel route. Ron

8. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I have a Remington 11-87 Premier with a 30 inch fixed full choke "Target Barrel" that has a step rib and comes with a Jack West adjustable comb stock, and a 26 inch "Target Barrel" with chokes. All of these come in a Remington green hard case. PM me if you are interested. JM

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Of your three choices I would go with the rem. 1100 hands down. The brownings auto are complicated, the Win. sx are a good gun, but don't have the barrels as available as the 1100's. If you want a auto I say go with the Rem. 1100 or find a Beretta 391. Did not know your son was full grown and Yes I think he can swing the 30 inch barrel find in skeet. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

10. Bridger

Bridger Member

I shoot a 30 inch 391 at skeet with no problem but its a light gun and swings easily. the 1100 might not work as well but as everyone says, plenty of barrels available

11. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I have both a Rem and a Bertetta like both shoot a 28 choke tube for all skeet trap and sporting. The Beretta is less maintenance the 1100 is from the 1970's and the Beretta is a 1980's vintage best bank for the buck in all around shotguns.

12. brownk80

brownk80 Member

A lot of Skeet shooters have gone to longer barrels so I don't think 30"s would be too long. I shot a Browning 325 with 30's for several years and never missed a bird because of the barrels. Your son and I are about the same size (6'1'' / 225 lbs.) so he should be OK with them.

Nice Christmas present -- enjoy your time together.

Brownk80

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.