1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

30" BBLS FOR LONG YARDAGE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ahab, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Once saw a sign on a rest room wall:

"Men with short muskets

......PLEASE...........

stand closer to the firing line!"

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

There's no ballistic advantage going from 30" to 34". Most people use 34" because they prefer the balance and sight plane. Personally I failed to realizing anything over 32", single or double barrel.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Steve- many of us shoot longer barrels at singles and handicap because that is the barrel length on the gun we bought and we did not give a lot of thought to the barrel length when we bought the gun. I also suspect that many shooters do not even know how to properly measure the length of the barrel on their shotgun.

Pat Ireland

4. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I use a 30" sporting clays gun. I shoot longer shots in sporting clays then I do on trap.
    I just like my 34" trap gun for the weight and balance better for trap.

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

There is no advantage of a 34" inch Bbl over a 30" bbl w/ same choke dimensions
    Full-IM as long as they are the same. in target breaking, pattern, or distance of breaking the target per se.

A 30" inch Bbl will point more quickly than a 34" inch Bbl, it is all a matter of personal preference.

Mine is 32" un-single points better for me than a 34" Bbl, I break hiugher scores with the 32" than the 34".

I broke a 100 from Hdcp w/a 30" full choke model 12, everything was right and I did it with 2 3/4 dram 1145fps #8s AAs.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I guess nobody should say anything to all those game shooters and their M12's. I've seen a lot of 75yrd+ shots made with a slide gun.

ss

7. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

Look at the Air Force Bunker shooters Such as Mike Herman and P D Parker shooting Really good scores with the 30" Barrels on their Bunker Guns.

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bought a new SKB thios year with a 34" unsingle barrel and it's just too heavy. Dhhoting wise a 34" has no advantage over a 30" except a perceived better sighting plane which I don't believe.

9. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I had the pleasure of shooting next to an older gentleman out west , I believe he was from Maryland, when he ran 100 from the 27 yd. line using a 28" Model 12. And I believe the barrel was marked MOD...It's not the arrow, it's the Indian!

Big Jack

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Don't forget the pumps and auto's have about 4 inches of receiver to add on to the barrel. So a 30 inch pump or auto is more like a 34 inch single or double. Plus the pumps and autos that have steel receivers have a lot more weight in the middle.

11. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

A 30" barrel will break targets further than you can.

Charlie

12. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I beleive Leo Harrison III shoots a Beretta DT10 Trident 30" o/u shotgun for singles, doubles and handicap (I don't know for sure that he uses this gun for all three events) he recently shot 100 x 100 from the 27 at the Grand American not more than a couple days ago and I do beleive it was with that 30" o/u. Anyhow, maybe someone that has seen Leo shoot recently can say if he was or was not shooting that Beretta o/u. Hope this helps.

J.F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.