1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

30/06 Vs .308

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

Well, I *thought* I wanted to buy a 30/06, but a reply to my quest had the comment that a .308 was better for paper punching. No hunting, just paper and other static targets. I really love reloading and thought the '06 would give me many, many options. I guess the .308 will also.

My question is why would the .308 be better for my needs?

Thanks...

Bruce

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

It shoots a little flatter for one thing. Bulge.

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

i am having a 6.5 x 47 lapua built , stiller diamonback action, shehane stock, benchmark barrel and jewel trigger, should shoot same hole at 100 yards, lapua makes the brass thats match quality, berger bullets, etc basically a 308 bolt face.

bill

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Asking this question.. I doubt that you are a real serious 1000 yard benchrest shooter.. For the average person.. who loves shooting..like me.. and for field application.. the only thing a 30-06 has on a 308 is when you start loading 180 grain on up..weight bullets.. Case capacity starts comming into play and is useful.. Other than that.. not a whole bunch of differences.. Both are accurate..or.. at least more accurate than I am.. I can get a 1" group with either at 100 yards..and that's really enough for me..

Saying all this.. I'm sure many will spout the 308 has won everything in current years.. They are probably correct as it's been on every platform out there.. and the shorter case leads to higher performance.. Really matter??? Unless you're shooting benchrest.. I doubt it..

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

capvan,

I'd opt for the 30/06. They are a little out of vogue right now and can be had a little cheaper than a .308. The only downside is a 30/06 is a little hard to find in a heavy barrel (if that is an issue).

Gun wise, buy a newer Savage and don't look back. They are excellant shooters and the durability is second to none.

ss

6. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

If you are not going to carry it in the field and you don't need a short action, go with the 06. The 06 does what the 308 does and then some. The 308 is a 308, period. I have both and the 06 is my go to with cast bullets, heavy bullets and just about everything.

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

One of the reasons so many target shooters use the .308 is that is the round used in the rifle that is legal for the matches or that is the specified round. PALMA competition 800-900-1000 yards HAS to be shot with a 155 gr, 30 cal bullets from a 7.62 NATO case (.308)

NMC Service rifle shooters who compete with the 30 cal, shoot M1A (M-14 design) rifles. Again, .308 is the only caliber in the game.

There is one reason to choose the .308 for accuracy
    If you are shooting short range, like 300 yards and less, and loading for accuracy, there may be an edge with the .308. To be truly accurate, each bullet has to leave the barrel at the exact same speed, which means the powder has to burn the exact same way every time. A cartridge case that is FULL of powder does this pretty well. A lightly loaded 30-06 has a lot of air space that allows the powder to burn at different rates, depending on the shape of the powderand where the air pocket is. You can check this against a chronograph. With lightly loaded ammo, point the barrel down (air space to the back, powder to the front) for 5 shots before shooting through the chrono. Now point the barrel up befoe each test shot. You will see a lot of veloccity change, That makes for vertical stringing of your group. You will barely see it at 100, but by 300 it is evident. 75 fps difference at 1000 yards will drop you clean off the bottom of the target.

If the type and amount of powder fills the case, this problem goes away.

By the way, for a hunter that reloads, the 30-06 is superior. You can load little 100 gr. lead bullets for low kick on small game and tin can shooting fun, all of the way up to 190 gr high performance bullets for bigger animals.

I have both 30-06 and .308 rifles, and they are both good. Choose what fits your needs the best.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I certainly learned something new.....

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I may as well "cast my net upon the waters".

The advantages with the '06 are, bullets over 175 gr work better. It is faster. The disadvantage is, the action is a little longer, and the rifle a little heavier.

The advantage with the 308 is, it shoots lighter bullets a little better, and uses a little less powder. It is a little slower than the Ought Six, and a little lighter.

If you are going to shoot at ranges over 350 yards, the full house 190 gr match load in the '06 will probably be a little better than the full house 168 gr 308. The Ought Six will kick a little more.

Lots of "littles" here. The 308 was made to NEARLY equal the 30/06 in a shorter round, chambered in a shorter rifle.

I could not say which one I like best, so I have one Game Rifle and one Match rifle in each caliber. They all shoot well, but I have a Match 308 that will blow the other 3 out of the water. YMMV.

They are both World Class Gold Standard rounds. Not a bad choice with either.

10. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

My 2 cents,

amen to the bullet weight remarks, thats about the only difference in the 2 cartridges.

Both can be one hole punchers, it depends on the quaility of rifle and the ability of the person pulling the trigger.

If I "only" had the choice of the two, I would pick the 308. Reason: as time goes along and my choice expanded, I could ream the 308 out to something bigger. But hey, I like the 338/06 AI over both of them!

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I shoot both cartridges.

If accuracy were the sole issue, I'd get a .308.

If hunting were the sole issue, I'd generally get a 30-06.

The 30-06 is more flexible than the 308 because it can utilize a much wider range of bullet weights. The 308 has proven itself to be more accurate. Weight of rfles being equal, the 308 has less recoil (repetitive recoil can cause fatigue in match shooting). The 30-06 has a bit more power for hunting. The 308 is available in lighter rifles. The 308 is also available in a wider variety of semi-autos. If I was hunting larger game, like elk, I'd get a 30-06 and use heavy bullets.

12. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

They're both great calibers, but you won't see too many .30-06 in hunter benchrest unless things have changed a lot. Accuracy begins in benchrest at quarter minute groups and goes down from there. It takes low teens to win. But that's shooting at its fussiest, with fat match barrels replaced after 2000 rounds, single shot actions, trick one-oz. triggers, neck-turned brass, hand dies and high end optics. Great fun, but not many people have the patience for it. Bring money.

My preference is either 6mm PPC or .308 Win, but that's just my opinion, and I'm not current. For hunting and weekend paper punching, I don't think it matters much at all. If you can shoot an inch, you've got a good rifle.

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

1. You can load the 06 to higher velocity than the 308- just look at loading manuals

2. It is slighly easier to get good bullet seating on longer bullets with the longer neck and greater powder capacity of the 06

3. 308 riles might be slighly more accurate if they have a short action as opposed to the standard action-------------------- but a lot of companies using mauser based actions dont have a short action.

4. The military did go to the 308 because the round was lighter and therefore the supply chain all the way up to box cars and down to the individual soldier could carry more.

Bottom line is either will work but I think you had the right idea when you said more flexibility with the 06

regards from Iowa

Gene

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

FYI

In a show of typical Govt' efficiency, development of the 7.62 Nato/308 began shortly after WORLD WAR ONE. It took that long to get Generals and Politicians to agree on the round. Ball powder helped make the round, but today's powders, both Extruded and Ball, will do the job.

A case based on the 300 Savage with a longer neck, loaded to higher pressure pretty much describes the 308.

Needless to say, the Thirty-Ought-Six had done it all by the start of WWII. Probably the most versatile American round.

Loaded to 60,000 PSI and shot in a 26" barrel, this old Warhorse will shock you with its long range performance using 190 gr bullets.

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have both. Kind of stupid really as I don't need both.

For punching paper, I would go with the .308. There is lot more .308 military ammo out there if you do not intend to reload. If you want to shoot inexpensively, try cast bullets. Plus cast bullets do not beat you up.

Don Verna

16. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

When Roy Weatherby was alive, he said the 308 was the best all around cartridge on the North American Continent.

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've used both. I currently believe in my .308 more. Recoil with 125 gr. bullets is tolerable and group size a bit better!!

18. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have a 1903 Springfield that a previous owner set up like a national match. It has a pistol grip stock, Lyman aperture rear sight and globe front sight and a super smooth and soft trigger. The receiver serial number is 1 million plus and the date of manufacture was 1920. The barrel is a Rock Island Arsenal made in 1911. One person told me that he thought that this was a Camp Perry Match Rifle but I don’t know. I bought it in a junk store, covered with closet dust in 1980 for $100.

That said, the 1903 Springfield in 30-06 (naturally) is a joy to shoot. With the aperture sights on a sunny day, it will shoot 3 shot groups at 100 yards of about 1”. Some groups will have all three bullet holes touching. It holds under 1 MOA at 200 yards but I do not shoot it at that range or longer much because my eyes are not good enough to do the rifle justice.

As this is an older rifle, I load it with 44 grains of IMR 4895 and a 150 grain Sierra Spitzer flat base bullet. This loading is supposed to be around 2400 fps. Some old boys who shoot 1000 yard matches at Fort Knox have offered me serious money for the old Springfield as it can be used in some sort of unlimited class of old US service rifles.

I also have a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 and one of the newer Remington VTR’s in 308.

As this thread is about the 30-06 versus the 308, here are my comments.

Each is a fine cartridge and to me, it really depends on the rifle.

Out of the box, the Remington 700 30-06 would shoot factory 150 grain Core Lokt’s under 1” at 100 yards for a 3 shot group and it held it’s accuracy from year to year with out re-zeroing . I liked to hunt with 180 grain bullets as my hunting was in heavy cover and some of our Kentucky whitetails would dress out over 200 pounds.

The VTR in 308 would also shoot 150 grain Core Lokt’s in less than 1” three shot groups and is a joy to shoot and carry with its heavy 20” barrel.

Either cartridge is a winner and is easy to reload. However, if I had to live with and depend on one cartridge, it would be the 30-06.

Ed Ward.

19. tgs1420

tgs1420 TS Member

I owned both and liked them. I would not buy anything but the 30 Rem. Mag, .308 like both but much better ballistics ! I would bet the resale will be better also.

20. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Got both. Pre 64 model 70 in '06 and a 77 Ruger along with a 99 Savage in .308. Curious how a 308 will shoot "flatter" as mentioned above if it is a hundred or so feet per second slower.

Both are accurate. I've found, after two 700 Rems, two 70 Wins in 06, and the Savage, 77, and a 788 in 308, that, for me, the 308 has a slight edge in accuracy, both with cast bullets and jacketed...after you find the load the particular gun likes.

Used to shoot in the cast bullet assn postal matches with an 06 and was regularly trounced by 30-30s and 308s.

Playing with both now with cast bullets and Trail Boss powder. Fun, accurate, light recoil. Nice to use to teach younger shooters.

I rarely take out the 06 any more. Almost always pull out the 308

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

308 shooters forum

unlimited class rifle 3006