1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

30/06 for Brown Bear

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Fritzboy, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

A friend claims a 30/06 with the proper bullet is adaquate for Brown bear. I think that is a very foolish choice that could cost your life. I say use a 375. Note, I have never hunted Brown bear and never intend to. Your opinions.

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Depends on how good of a runner he is and the shoes he has on that day

Lots of bears have been killed with 30 06 and with new bullets its better than ever but I agree- the Fish and Wildlife service used to issue 375s so they must agree with you also

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Jack O'Connor started liking the 30-06 more and more as he reached the end of his career. He wrote that he watched his wife shoot a Brown Bear/Kodiak/Grizzly with a 30-06 and a 220 grain bullet. When she shot, he saw the stones/sand fly up on the other side of the bear, i.e. the bullet passed clear through the bear. He decided then that the 220 grain bullet in the 30-06 was not needed.

I don't remember the brand of the bullet O'Connor used, but when he was writing Nosler was about the only premium bullet available.

Elk guides I know tell me that can't tell much difference in performance in any caliber between 270 and the 300 magnums. They notice a difference when when the calibers goes up to 338 and 375, but only on bad angle follow-up shots that should not be taken as a first shot.

So ask yourself these things. Will you take bad angle first shots? Will you need follow-up shots? And what do you want for those shots?

4. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Craig Boddington once wrote that he would never again hunt BB with a lessor caliber than a 0.375. I believe he was using a 0.300 mag, when he had a close encounter with a determined bear. IIRC.

5. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Seriously? Your friend is a moron. He wants to hunt bears and is trying to find the SMALLEST caliber that will work. F-that. I would be packing the BIGGEST one that I could carry. I mean does he really want a seriously pissed off bear charging his dumb ass?

6. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Thanks vpr. From my reading an 06 is indeed a poor choice. The Brown is a whole lot more than a Black. A book I read on Browns said they are one of the most powerful and potentially dangerous animals inthe world. With that monster in a charge a man with an 06 would be better off with a shovel to dig his own grave.

7. kyskeet

kyskeet Member

A shooting buddy of mine enquired what he should bring on a planed Alaskan brown bear hunt. The guide ask what he had, answer was .338, guide said "that was on the smallish side". Buddy ask what about .416, guide said "that the ticket".

End of story, dead brown bear with tape measured distance from entrance wound to final location of the slug was aprox.7 feet(left front shoulder to just under the skin of the right hind hip). The bear still ran 40 yard after being shot. Thankfully in the opposite direction from my buddy. Bigger is better when talking dangerous game.

8. kenf

kenf Active Member

I agree, 375 H&H would be a minimum for a Brownie, with the 416 Rem, Rigby, or Weatherby being the ticket, take your pick.

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

So a 3.5 inch magnum 10 gaguage 00 buck is out of the question... Scare the heck out me just pulling the trigger. Dead goose. Fred

10. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I guided in Alaska for 3 years, I had clients that used a .270 to take Coastal Brown Bears, I would not reccomend it but that is what they were comfortable with and their shot placement was excellent. Of course, I had my .458 Win Mag as a back up but never had to use it. My boss liked a MINIMUM OF .338 Mag but if a client wanted to hunt with his .270, 30-06 etc he/she could. I would say that at a minimum a .338 should be used for Grizzly/Brown Bear. A .375 would be a good choice also, either the H&H or Ruger Magnum.

If he insists on using his 30-06, he should use a stout premium bullet and make sure of his shot placement.

Oscar

11. DanLee

DanLee Member

Depends on how much time one has, as in time to hunt. O'Connor mentioned a couple of French cooks who lived in Alaska and liked the .250-3000 Savage for grizzlies. Of course, they had the time to wait for perfect shots, unlike most hunters now who fly in and have a couple days and have to take the first and only bear they see.

Dan

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'll admit i don't don't jack squat about bear hunt'n. What i do know about is hunt'n in general. I have seen animals survive devastating shots from both guns and bows. Now i've shot a Whitetail and watched as it charged trees and everything in sight while i safely sit in the stand knowing the deer can't get me. Now a bear on the other hand can go anywhere you can and faster. I would want the biggest damn caliber i could possibly lug into the woods. There was a statement already posted on this very thread that sums it up.

"does he really want a seriously pissed off bear charging his dumb ass?"

I know i sure as hell wouldn't. There is no such thing as OVERKILL when hunting DEADLY game. There is a such thing as UNDERKILL. But i'm sure his wife will understand as she cashes the Life Insurance check.

13. releasebob

releasebob Member

mrskeet410 I knew Jack and hunted with him on several occasions a 270 or 30-06 was plenty of gun for him to hunt brown bear with but he was a professional shootist and could put 3 bullets in a inch anywhere he wanted to on a charging animal,if a recreational hunter asked him if a 30-06 was adeguate he would have answered a resounding no,Elmer Keith would have taken one on with a 44 magnum and thought he had plenty of gun but never would have recommended it to someone else and for the most part had someone backing them up with a .458 when they tried such stunts,I've taken three one with a .450 Alaskan and two with a .458 all required more than one bullet,the last one was with a Ruger#1 and I wouldn't recommend a single shot either I broke both front shoulders with the first round at about 75 yds and he stood up on his hinds and came right at me I got reloaded and put another round in his skull at about 25 yards that put him down but nearly pissed myself in the process.BOB

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Concerning hunting and shooting game in general, bullet construction/penetration and placement are far more important than the size of the gun. That said......if I went hunting brown bears I'd prob'ly pack my .375 Ruger loaded with 300 grain bullets or one of my .45-70's loaded with 400 grains plus.

15. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Elmer Keith considered a 30 cal a light entry level non dangerous game caliber.

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I have a 45/70 that is ready to go with some 500gr copper spun bullets. One of these days I'll get a chance to take me a nice one and have a rug.

ss

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If a person is not sure of their skills with bullet placement, not sure how steady their nerves are, and if they lack experience, then yes, the 30-06 is probably on the small side.

The fact is, experienced hunters have used the 30-06 for bears for the last 100+ years.

18. releasebob

releasebob Member

Brian I am just Curious how many people do you actually know who posess the tools/skills you described to use the 30-06,I have shot a lot of dangerous game in Alaska and Africa and I don't fit in that category,Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith are the only two I ever hunted with who do and I would would categorize them both as Professionals.A lot of bears supposedly killed with small caliber rifles in reality have a couple of holes in them from the guy standing behind them with a real bear gun.BOB

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  20. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

I lived on Kodiak Island for years and hunted Sitka's and elk. I had a number of brown bear encounters. The thing that is hard for hunters to grasp is the size of a brown bear. There is a very basic fear that you feel when only open ground and your gun seperates you from this predator. I can still recall hunting ducks a alder filled tidewater slough and steping over a fresh bear track still filling with water!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
220 grain 30-06 for grizzly
30 06 for bear
30 06 on bear
30 06 vs 45 70 for bear

30-06 for brown bear

30-06 for grizzly

30-06 for kodiak brown bear
375 uh compared to338