1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

30-06 BMG Ammo

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by Zuzax, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

I belong to the Lobo Wing of the CAF (Commemorative Air Force). We are restoring a Beechcraft AT-11 Kansan bomber that was used to train bomber pilots, gunners, navigators and bombardiers during WWII. It was based at Albuquerque Army Air Field in 1942 and through the war, the same place where Jimmy Stewart did his bomber pilot training.
    Anyway, I'm putting together the ammo belts that fed the M1919 Browning top turret machine guns. I have the brass and found the belt links but I don't know what bullet to use to make it as original as possible.
    Do any of you guys know what grain and bullet type to use? And where I might find a hundred or so of them? And would I use the standard COL for a 30-06 or were they different for a BMG?

Thanks for any help,

George

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

There's a little info here. Looks like it was a flat based 150 gr. (or possibly a 165 gr)bullet. Finding flat based bullets might be kinda tricky. Regardless, once seated, no one will know that it's a flat base. 147 gr Boat tail Full metal jacket bullets used to be fairly easy to locate before the "madness" took over. As far as overall cartidge length goes, any M1 ball round would be okay to use as a test round. Mine measure 3.276". The 147s usually have a cannellure, so you may not have a choice. Hope this was of some help.

Bob Falfa

3. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Thanks for the information Bob! Yeah, finding bullets right now my prove to be a bit of a problem. Oh, and I forgot to mention, these will be dummy rounds.

Cheers,

George

4. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Any more information?

Cheers,

George

5. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Contact Sierra bullets. They make a 165gr. "MatchKing" bullet that looks like a FMJ. But it has a very small hollow point. They might be able to help with your project.

Chuck

6. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Hornady also has a 150gr FMJ. It should replicate the original M2 Ball.

I use them as reloads in my M1.

Best, Dennis

7. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I pulled about 50 M2 Ball bullets a few weeks ago made in 1940. They are 150 grain with the cannelure and look like this.
    rlc323_2008_030359.jpg

Probably as close as you will get without finding 100 actual old M2 bullets is the Hornaday 150 grain FMJ BT. Flat base probably not easy to get like Bob mentioned.

The M2 round I just measured had a OAL of 3.328.

If you were really going super authentic you should find some tracer rounds for the belt, good luck.

8. RLC323

RLC323 Member

If the 52 original M2 bullets I have would help you out I would be glad to donate them. PM me.

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

RLC323 has given you the best answer. Everywhere you look it is "out of stock". I have some tracers I will donate if you PM me. Also I have some 147 gr FMJ BTs if you think you can use them to get to the number you need. They will likely be slightly different than RLC323's, but you'd have to look close. The tracers were "new" when I bought them (years ago), but the tips are not painted. Hope this helps some.

Bob Falfa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.