1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

30.06 ammo ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dolphin77, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

I have an as new mid 60s Win 70 30.06 with original Weaver scope, I don't think the gun has ever been shot. If I'm going to shoot it I would like to find a nice light load......any experience or opinions? Thanks WC

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Call the bulletsmith at Sierra. Any light bullets will make a light load..try some lightweight Berger match bullet for example...maybe 150 gr.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you want a low recoil factory load, try the 'managed recoil' offerings from Federal or Remington. These loadings use fairly light bullets at moderate velocities. Good for recreational shooting and close range deer hunting.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

For factory fodder, the managed recoil will work for you.

After you get over sticker shock, you will quickly see that reloading is a good idea with a center fire rifle cartridge.

Google Bartlett Reloaders and buy some of his 30/06 pull down Lake City brass for your rifle. It is about half price of commercial, and 500 hulls will last you for YEARS.

The 30/06 is on of the best balanced cartridges ever. It is powerful enough for most any North American game, easy on barrels, and is well tolerated by the average shooter.

The amount of suitable components is ENORMOUS. You can load anything from powder puff practice loads to full throttle elk and moose loads.

5. Landshark

Landshark Member

A friend borrowed a 30.06 from the PH on his Africa trip and killed all of his plains game animals plus an Eland (huge).

6. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

I have really good results using 48.5 grains of IMR 4064, Winchester Large Rifle primers, and Sierra 150 grain spitzer bullets.

7. darr

darr Well-Known Member

46 grs. of IMR4895 operates my garand and shoots soft.

darr

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As far as African game, the '06 will GET 'ER DONE! (180 gr and heavier bullets work well for big critters with good hits) When shooting African plains game, hold closer to the shoulder than with North American game.

4895 with bullets under 180 gr will provide correct port pressure for 30'06 and 308 gaspipes.

The 150 gr bullet with the amount of 4064 you are using produces around 2800 fps. This is a good load for general use, easy on gun, brass and shooter.

Although the 30/06 is one of the oldest cartridges around, it is also one of the best balanced. It is powerful enough to take most any game anywhere, and has a recoil level low enough so most shooters may shoot it well.

I prefer the 165 gr game bullet for deer in my region (the hills of Tennessee).

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I load 45.5 grains of IMR 4895 behind a 150 grain Remington PSP Core Lokt bullet for practice with my 1903 Springfield. Per the Speer # 13 manual, this produces about 2500 fps and is their recommended “starter “load. The maximum load is 49.5 grains of IMR 4895 for about 2700 fps.

This load is a soft and accurate shooter. The Springfield is set up like a National Match with a Lyman 48 aperture rear sight and a #17 Globe front sight. With the target aperture, I can shoot 5 shot 2” groups all day long and have shot a few 1” groups. Often, within the 5 shot groups, I will get a 3 shot cluster in almost the same hole.

IMR 4895 was developed for the 30-06 in the early 1940’s and is an excellent all around powder. H4895 is also excellent but uses different load data. Other powders will push the 30-06 a little faster but IMR 4895 is a great all around powder, especially for reduced loads.

As to bullets, I find the Remington 150 grain bullet to be very accurate and it costs much less than the Sierra 168 grain Match King. I buy the Remington 150 grain PSP Core Lokt from Midway at around $20 per 100 versus over $30 for Speer or Sierra bullets.

However, if you are into extreme accuracy, the 168 grain Sierra Match King is, IMO, the way to go. I have used Speer and Sierra 150 grain spitzer boat tails with excellent results but the 150 Grain Remington PSP Core Lokt shoots almost as good for a lot less.

I use 41 grains of IMR 4895 in my 308 with the 168 grain Match King which yields sub MOA in a Remington 700 with very pleasant recoil.

If you load for maximum velocity in 30-06 or 308, especially with the 168 grain or heavier bullets, the recoil becomes unpleasant.

Ed Ward

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.