1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

3" shell vs 3 1/2" shell?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I do alot of goose hunting and was wondering if it was worth spending the money on a new gun that will shoot 3 1/2" magnums? I have been using a 3" gun but if that makes much difference I'm going to get a 870 supermag. If it does'nt matter that much I'll use the money to upgrade other phases of that kind of hunting

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The 870 super mag is OK if you have a good dentist. Save the money and buy good 3" shells. How many do you shoot in a season?

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Spare yourself and get the 1187 super mag.

4. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

Call em in closer. LOL

5. moparhunter 99

moparhunter 99 TS Member

The 870 supermag is a great gun never malfunctions like an automatic could.If you really want the ultimate goose gun buy the 10 gauge it is way better than the 12 ga 3 1/2".The felt recoil is about the same as a 3" 12 ga because the 10 ga weights a lot more. just my opinion.

6. Setterman

It all depends how much shooting you do. If you only go thru a couple boxes a season, buy the best ammo you can afford (Bismuth, tungsten matrix, heavy shot) in 3". It will compete with a 3 1/2" load in knock down power.

But the heaviest load at 45 yards was 1 9/16 oz BBB's from a SX-2 IMOD choke.
    Bismuth 3" #2's was right there, and has more punch than steel.

7. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I only shoot about 3 boxes a season so maybe I should just put my money in good 3" shells

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If you can't drop a goose with a 2-3/4" shell, then you have no business hunting.

Curt

9. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Ignore Curt,grnberetcj, he's obviously an idiot.

Shooting that little, you'd be best off shooting 3" Heavy Shot.

Regards,
    Chip

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm not a waterfowl hunter because I don't like to eat ducks and geese but a lot of my friends do hunt geese. Nearly all of them use autoloaders and 3" shells and occaisionally they will get real serious and move up to their 10 guage guns. But the 3 1/2" 12 gauge just isn't popular for reasons of ammo cost and recoil.

11. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I shoot lot of water fowl and I would stay with the 3's. Have shot the super mag as well as I do have an SP10 that I shoot. For the money after all said and done, you will kill just as many geese with the 3's. Remember, there are only two kinds of buyer's and that is a want and a need buyer. You do not need a super mag.

12. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have an 870 supermag that works perfectly. I use 3" shells when duck hunting and 3 1/2" BB's when shooting large geese.
    I had a Remington SP10 that is the ultimate goose and pass shooting gun. It will flat out do better patterning than the big twelve's, but with little recoil.
    It's a little heavy to carry but it eats recoil like no other gun.

13. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Thanks for the advise guys

14. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

The only reason you need to buy a 3 1/2" gun is for if and when you go on a waterfowl hunting trip. I went a few years back with my 3" gun, and ran out of shells. I went to buy some more at the closest store (I checked a Dicks and a WALMART) and all they had left were 3 1/2" shells.

So - to me that means not many guys reallylike 3 1/2" for a variety of reasons, but also that you better have the ability to shoot any round available.

Joe

15. PHILFIRST

PHILFIRST TS Member

Save your money! buy cheap three inch shells, just take good shots! I don't know where your hunting but I use a cheap mossburg 835 with 3 inch shells and harvest about 80 geese a year. put your money in good decoys (they do make a difference) but remember you can never have to many guns! LOL
    Phil

16. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I'm killing geese 75- 90 yrds with 3" Nitro steel BB or T's IMP. MOD. choke. Falling out of the sky dead. One landed on the roof of my house and busted my roof sheeting. WHOOPS!!! LOL Wife wasn't impressed!!!!! 3 1/2 won't fill your game bag if you can't hit em with a 3".

17. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

The plastic stocked 870mag is indeed a kicker, get a wood one & add a little weight to the butt & you'll be fine.

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Good to see the Bunny Buster's and Pilgrims are still thriving...

Curt

19. Setterman

Although I don't agree with Curt's 2 3/4" shell statement, I don't believe in shooting at birds at 75-90 yards regardless how great a shooter you are.

Your going to wounds birds.

No choke maintains a decent pattern at that range, and the shot has lost nearly all of it's effective penetration. As water fowlers, we should strive to deliver a swift killing payload at applicable ranges.

20. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

I helped start the goose club that my brother has been running for over 20 years now and have guided and hunted waterfowl over most of the northern half of the continent. I've guided hunts where we've killed 220 geese and 48 ducks everyday for over two weeks (over decoys, not jump shooting), so I have shot more in a month than many people will in a lifetime. In spite of this amount of experience, I would never be an arrogant enough ass to make an ignorant claim that ...

"If you can't drop a goose with a 2-3/4" shell, then you have no business hunting." like Curt did. Lots of people have lots of different ways to do things, and, I have no business telling them what is right and wrong. I've also been around long enough to know just how much I don't know, obviously Curt hasn't.

I also have shot every load out there out of many different tubes and have NEVER seen anyone that can consistently bring down waterfowl past a legit 60 yards with steel, even early season in northern Canada when their feathers aren't full. I almost never call a shot beyond 50 yds, too many geese sail. When I've heard these claims in the past, they are usually debunked by having a mistaken interpretation of distance. I've hunted with guides that have shot many more birds than I and I don't know any that would make a claim to consistently bring down birds at 75 - 90 yards (that's excluding the magic BB that takes down a long range bird, hit in the brain with a single pellet)

And just as an aside, Remington's steel loads may be the least preferred load amongst the many guides that I know.

Regards,
    Chip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.