1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

3 examples of shipping reloading presses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by omgb, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I have three different examples of shipping reloading presses and the lessons I've learned from them.

#1 I purchased a 366 loader 7 years ago from a gentleman on this site. It arrived with a broken base plate and the aluminum cam plate on the back of the press was badly deformed to the point the press would not cycle. I photographed the heck out of the box, the packing, the press etc and got estimates for repairs from Hornady. I notified the seller and he notified UPS. UPS hemmed, hawed and dragged their feet but eventually after several calls, paid up. I replaced the parts and the press works great. If the seller had been anything other than a true gentleman and sportsman, I would have been out of luck. Lesson learned?.....deal only with those whom you can be relatively certain are upstanding men and women.

#2 I purchased another 366 loader from another individual. He super packed everything, broke the press down into it's smallest components and used lots of bubble wrap and a double box. It arrived in good shape but the box looked as if a group of gorillas had played tag with it. Lesson learned? packing is everything. Smaller is better. Sharp or long objects don't do well, break them down and pad heavily.

#3 I sold a Mec 9000 to a guy on this site. I shipped before he paid. I used USPS and insured the package. I requested delivery confirmation and received it. The man said he never got it. he said he lived out in the country and that thieves sometimes took things off of neighbors porches. He never mentioned this to me prior to shipping. I tried filing a claim but with deliver confirmation, I was S.O.L. The buyer never even offered to pay my $40 shipping loss. Lesson learned? Money up front, signature required, no exceptions. BTW, for all I know, the buyer may have been telling the truth. That's why I never posted any crud about it nor did I mention his name. I'm going to assume he was being honest and therefore, the error was mine.

R J Talley

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Good Read RJ. Thanks for posting. I've shipped a half dozen with no damage. PW, 9000 (s), Grabber (s), 366, and 9000H. Rule #1, keep the original box. If you do not have that, buy one form the loader folks. But I have used Produce boxes I get from the grocery store. Some are double wall with tough outer water proof shell. Cut Styrofoam to fit as best I can or layered corrugated. I shy away form bubble wrap. for things heavy.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you got delivery confirmation you should be under no obligation.

If the UPS guy's sloth results in thievery, the shippee should go after them.

Just my take.

HM

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I shipped a PW 600 to Georgia earlier this year in two boxes. Removed the primer assy., handle, and shot and powder bottles. Packed heck out of it with bubble and styrofoam worms. I got positive feedback, so I assume it arrived OK.

Also bought a MEC 20ga. off this site which was shipped in the original box, came OK. Smaller is better and pack so there is no movement of item.

I also built cardboard partitions so the item wouldn't move far if given a good jolt.

You have to pack assuming the worst.

Regards.....Gerald

5. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

22 years as a freight company tractor trailer driver(retired). I can tell you that you cant put enough effort into packaging.Over kill is the best route.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I sold my RCBS Grand - 48 pounds, as I recall - to a fellow poster several years ago. I took it to a shipping place and told them I wanted it them to package it so if it was damaged in shipment, neither the buyer nor myself could have a finger pointed at us. It arrived damaged and the buyer emailed me photos, which I took to the shipping place.

They called their insurance carrier while I was there and handed me the phone so I could speak with them. They told me they would pay the claim up to the amount for which I had the item insured ($500) or replace the item with a new one, whichever was less costly. They told me that as soon as they received an estimate of repairs, they would issue a check, which I told them to send to the buyer.

I went home and told the buyer all that and he said not to worry about it - when he called RCBS for part prices, they offered to supply all the necessary parts under warranty. Now THAT's a warranty!

But the moral of the story is to pay a few bucks extra (in my case, I think it was $12) to place the packaging responsibility on someone else.

Ed

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Great Stuff expanding foam is great stuff for packing, put object in heavy garbage bag, inside heavy box, great stuff all around...heavy and expensive but packed darn near indestructible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.