1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

3-D Printer...Gun Manufacturing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GunDr, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I can barely navigate around on my 15 yr old Dell but, here are guys taking their computer and programing skills to a waaay new level. Included in the comments section are links to other 3D projects.

[​IMG]

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    According the original article, only the LOWER of the gun pictured above was printed on a 3D plastic printer. The upper is commercially made and is aluminum alloy. Also note the magazine. It's made by Black Dog and is in .22LR. The common .22 LR conversion bolts do not require a buffer tube assembly, because they are self-contained within the length of the receiver.

The added stresses for a centerfire bolt, buffer tube and barrel will likely stress a plastic PRINTED upper to the failure point. (There ARE commercially made plastic uppers and lowers, but they are made from entirely different material than what a plastic printer produces.) While he may be trying a printed lower on a .223, I really doubt that upper cited as printed plastic really is.

Given the very high price for these printers, plus the weak plastic being used, anyone trying to make political hay out of this is a total idiot. It's cheaper to buy a used CNC milling machine and make your own uppers and lowers from aluminum or steel. Heck, home hobbiests have been buying raw forgings for years and have been making uppers and lowers on manual milling machines.

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Brian,

Isn't there a manufacurer/supplier right now that you can purchase forged or casted lowers without an FFL along with everything necessary for building your own?

doug

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"Isn't there a manufacurer/supplier right now that you can purchase forged or casted lowers without an FFL along with everything necessary for building your own?"

Not legally. The lower no matter what it's make-up is the registered piece of the AR type rifle. The uppers w/barrel may be bought all day long without a FFL.

5. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

Actually, you can buy a receiver that is 80% finished without an FFL, and legally finish it yourself.

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-ar-15-lower-receiver.html

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

That's not what I thought he meant but true. Of course it's just a partially milled piece of aluminum at this point. Not too many people have the tools and know how to finish it from there. But, I stand corrected in that aspect.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I did mean to say an unfinished lower---apologies.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.