1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

3/4oz Reclaimed shot OK for 16 yard singles Trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 808state, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 808state

808state Member

I'm new to reloading and live in Hawaii. After some research I've come to the conclusion that the only economical way, for me at least, to reload 12ga is to use reclaimed shot in 3/4oz loads.

I've loaded and shot 1-1/8oz and 1oz shells with reclaimed shot and do well with both for a new shooter. I want to start buying in bulk to drive the costs down, with lead being the one component that's proving to be the most expensive and not readily available locally. Fortunately most places will ship shot USPS flat rate. Recob's reclaimed shot is the cheapest I've found online so far. With 3/4oz loads I theoretically can get 533 shells from a 25lb. bag of shot.

Wads can't be found locally as well, so I'll need to buy that online also. To drive wad prices down I'll need to buy by the case and ship USPS Parcel Post. So before investing in 5000 of CB0175-12 wads, how does everyone feel about using 3/4oz reclaimed loads from 16 yards for practice in singles Trap?

Recipe I'll be using
    Rem STS/Nitro hulls
    Recob Reclaimed shot
    Win209 primers (I'd prefer to use cheaper Noble Sport but can't get it locally)
    CB0175-12 wads
    15gr Alliant Extra-Lite

Aloha,
    Mark

ETA: I should probably be a little more specific. There's a wide variance in shot size, shape and quality with reclaimed which factors in on the pattern. I want to hear from people using this particular combination before buying wads in bulk as to the effectiveness of using a reduced load with reclaimed.

2. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Hi Mark,

I don't know anything about the reclaimed shot but all I shoot are 3/4 oz. loads from 16 yds. Full choke. Works great!

Mike.

3. warren

warren Member

yes I use it for everything only I load 1 1/8th

warren

4. 808state

808state Member

Thanks Mike, if you don't mind my asking what shot size are you using #8?

Warren, I've loaded and shot reclaimed for both 1 1/8th and 1 oz with great results as well. I'm looking to stretch out the lead supply as much as possible hence the question on 3/4oz loads.

Appreciate the feedback fellas, keep them coming.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Cheerios and Puffed Wheat?

Well, whatever you do, don't use Count Chocula. That sh!t cost me a trophy last year in a League shoot-off.

-Gary

6. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

For practice it'll be just fine. Average scores will suffer because of lost birds due to thin pattern density - no way around it.

The problem is in the math. If you consider the price of the other parts of the equation, i.e. wads, primers, gasoline, targets, elbow grease when loading, etc., the savings is not that great; especially when driving home and wondering if those lost birds were the fault of the load.

Reclaimed shot has ballistic disadvantages accentuated by atmospheric pressure, colder temperature and the distance to the target. Hawaii should pose very little problem. GAP

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Haven't tried 3\4oz but have loaded 7\8 since 1994 with good results and reclaim for several years now. I would do the math as hull life-primer-powder-wad costs remain the same so about the only savings would be in the amount of shot--@ 1\8oz saving per shell X 25 shells =3 and 1\8oz. I still do shoot new shells for registered and long range games. Ross Puls

8. NealSS

NealSS Member

Here an Idea that I use when Loading under weight shot loads .I use the cheaper 1 1/8 wads I simply drop in a used primer in the shot cup then drop the shot .It works really good for me I have even used these from 27 yards with Positive results !So I am sure with even a 1 oz wad the spent primer will fill up the was enough to make a good crimp.

9. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

Mark,

Have you tried the CB0175-12 wads? I really like shooting 3/4oz loads. If you have not tried them, I can mail you 100 to try if you will cover my costs. Send me a PM if interested.

5 Stand Dan

10. 808state

808state Member

Great comments! Especially the use of other materials as shot buffer. Cereal and spent primers are probably the only reloading supplies in large supply here. I realize I'll really need to be on the bird using the reduced load and will probably have a few more missed birds as a result. You guys have me rethinking my logic. Bill I'm on the island of Maui

11. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

It will work fine as long as you don't care how many targets you break?

12. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Mark, I've experimented with the 3/4oz loads. They may work well for others but I've had very questionable results. The breaks were much more inconsistent with very little smoke. They will work for the first shot of doubles but were even suspect for that. All of the tests I performed were done with new shot, I have no idea what the inconsistency of reclaimed shot would do to it. I've had good results with 7/8oz and won't go below that for competition loads. If you want to play around with the load I sure wouldn't buy a case of them, a bag or two will tell you what you want to know. The price savings is very minimal and not worth the lost targets and loss of confidence in the ammo. I was using #8 shot, Im thinking #9 or #8.5 would be a better choice to increase pattern density. I would like to hear what the other guys are using who are getting better results. That's my two cents worth.

13. 808state

808state Member

Dan, that's very generous of you, PM inbound. Well I suppose the smart thing to do is to take Dan up on his generous offer and try shooting a few boxes before going in on the case of wads. Looks like I can use 15-17gr of RedDot which my LGS carries. Jason thanks for sharing your experience, may I ask if you tried a tighter choke when you were experimenting with 3/4oz loads?

14. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I only shoot a full choke for everything except the first shot of doubles.

15. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Hi Mark,

In answer to your question I use #81/2 shot.

Mike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.