1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

3/4 ton trucks

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mike T, Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

looking to up grade my dodge 1/2 ton 5.7 hemi to a 3/4 ton to tow a larger 5th wheel. Right now I am about at my limit. Mine is a 2009 and as near as I can tell it has the same motor, trans, and rear end 3.90 as the 3/4 ton Just has coil springs instead of leaf. Nice ride but I had to add air bag helper. So it would not squat so bad. So What should I look for and look out for. I am ok with Dodge, Ford,or Chevy. I have no experience with diesel. But would be willing to consider.
    again what should I look for and what to stay away from.

thank
    mike t

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Alot has to do with if you're going gas or diesel and just how much towing do you do?

3. 548

548 Guest

If you can afford a diesel, the diesel is definitely what you want for pulling a 5th wheel camper

4. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

I have had both the big block gas and the diesel trucks, Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. The thing to keep in mind is cost of ownership.

Diesels are full of torque and great for towing but cost more to maintain, repair, and replace. A disel injection pump can set you back a couple thousand dollar, a complete used or even reman gas motor can be had for near the same. If you are up north, gelling and plugging in your truck at night can be a pain. Two batteries under the hood of a diesel equals cost times two.

I do like diesels, but when I own them I get paid to drive them and the cost is figured into the bill at the end of the day. Where I to buy a heavy hauler for personal use I would go gas and pay a little more at the pump when I needed it.

5. mbm5770

mbm5770 Member

1) Where do you live?
    2) How often do you pull your trailer?
    3) Do you plan on getting a bigger trailer at some point?

4) Are you mechanical? Sounds like you don't know much about diesel's at all which means you'll have to take it someone anytime something happens to it which means big money once it's out of warranty. Diesel's cost Double if not Triple to own...Just an oil change alone is $100 bucks and that's if you don't do fuel fliter everytime....but with that being said, with the current trucks on the market and the aftermarket things you can do to them, it's night and day diesel to gas. My crewcab 4x4 lifted 6" on 35's duramax puts 505hp and almost 900lbs of torque to the rear wheels and doesn't downshift out of sixth on a 9% grade 75mph with 20,000lbs behind it and still gets 15-17 mpg.....

6. CalvinMD

I agree,..just how much time towing do you plan on ?? and for what its worth its alway better to err to the too much side...I don't tow super heavy but my F350 V10 (4.10axles)is capable to haul anything and still comes out to the plus side compared to a diesel on the bottom line with maintainance and expenses,..I tow about 20% of total driving time and dont need to rely on it for commuting,..purely personal utility and pleasure use

7. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Oh yea, my duramax pulls 30,000 lbs up 9 degree slopes in sixth gear while getting 25 mpg!! Solo it gets 36 mpg. If you're going to daydream, do it big!

8. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I have a duramax and they do not get 36 miles to the gallon. Average highway is 20 -21 pulling 13-16 .

9. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

a Hemi or Cummins will handle anything you can give it. Other choice to make is Ram 2500hd or the DUALLY. For occaisional short haul towing, the hemi will
    save the up front price of the Cummins. You will have to calculate the break even point of stepping up to a diesel based on distance and frequency.

10. mike T

mike T Member

So what diesel has the least issues? Who's the best? Pulled up to a Dodge Cummins turbo diesel and rolled down the window. Was pretty quite at idle, and when the light turned green he pulled away quite quickly with not a lot of noise. I think my Hemi made more noise than his did. It was a pickup and he was not pulling anything.
    I have a friend that has a new Ford 1 ton with new diesel (sorry I don't know what size) but I think it is a new one. Real quiet. But he has to add BPH or something like that to an extra tank that the engen burns. Do others have to do that? Seems like that would add a lot to his over fuel cost. Sorry but he is in Texas now being a "Winter Texan" So not sure if I have that correct.
    Maybe as some of the answers seem to point to I should just stick with a big gas truck.
    Any any comment would be helpful.
    thanks
    mike t

11. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I've had a 2500 HD Silverado diesel package for 5 years - bought it specifically to pull a 40' 5th wheel and I've done nothing to it but routine oil changes and filters - average mileage around town is 16. 70mph on the freeway with the 5th wheel hooked up - 1700rpms. Get the diesel.

12. apmech23

apmech23 TS Member

with new diesels you have to add DEF fluid to the other tank with the blue cap, Diesel Exhaust Fluid, they use this fluid to burn off unwanted material out of the exhaust for emissions reasons, I do not own a diesel so I cant tell you for sure, but hopefully by getting rid of the unwanted materials in the exhaust by using the DEF, they can tune the engine for performance and economy verses tuning the engine in order to meet emission criteria, increasing MPG and power. Also, from what i have been told, when you have you oil changed every 3000 miles, have them top off the DEF tank, and that should get you to next oil change, DEF is pretty inexpensive too.

13. CalvinMD

Even though that stuff is inexpensive..I'd never buy a truck that needed that just for the pain in the butt factor..I love Ford trucks but that one would be off my short list if I really needed an oil burner

14. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

I pull a 35' Sunnybrook with a Chevy 3500, truck and camper weight-in at 22,653 (per CAT scales). Plan ahead, you might want a bigger camper... When 18 wheeler pass me, truck and camper don't bobble a bit, 4 wheels under the front of the camper I think make a more stable ride. About 10 to 11MPG in the Smokey Mt, 12+ on the flat lands, 19MPG around town (- camper)..... Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge same as 7.5 vs 8 vs 8.5.... I pick the dealer and his service not the brand... Have not heard anything good about the DEF system... one more thing to screw up... Grubby

15. CalvinMD

Like Jack sez...you will really enjoy towing with a overly capable truck rather than what you have now where you are at the limits,..my 1 ton doesnt set the rear down but an inch and a half when my pull style trailer was set on it and could tow it all day long with no equalizer bars and not know it was back there even with a 900lb tongue weight...plus you'll never wear it out prematurely..good luck getting a good one

16. C-Money

C-Money Member

Last time I bought a new truck, I went from Ford F250 diesel to a Ford F350 V10 gas. Plenty of power, very reliable, 11.9 MPG last time I pulled my 5th wheel, which was to deer camp this year in WA. The drive was 170 miles over quite a few mountain passes. My Ford has the 6 speed manual tranny and stock tire size. The diesels are great rigs, take a few test drives and see what you like.

17. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

Unless your going to a giant camper I would look at the gas-burners. I have driven about all the newer diesels and my personal dually has a V10 in it. It does like gas about 14 not towing and 10 towing, but still about 4cents cheaper per mile cheaper than the diesel on gas/maintenece than a deisel. plus I saved about 5k buying the gasser. I have 150k on mine with no troubles. Can't say that about the previous diesels I owned. If looking used run away from the 6.0 fords, went through 4 in 2 years. I do have a diesel still, it's a cat in my little freightliner that only cranks to make money,

18. mx331

mx331 TS Member

People better get used to the DEF system because its coming on all diesel's cars trucks you name it. Cost of owning a diesel is what makes it a tough choice initial price , fuel, oil, everything is more expensive. If your buying this truck just for towing long distance then you will be happier with diesel, but if it's just towing a couple hundred miles once a month gas will do just fine. I run a 3/4 ton dodge gas 5.7 hemi towed 10000 pound camper from Ohio to Virgina then Tennessee. It did ok got passed by lots of diesels in the hills but its my daily driver also so couldn't justify cost of diesel. Plus it only does one long trip a year, the rest are 120 mile weekend get aways.

19. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I have an LB7 Duramax in my 2003. My travel trailer according to the two times I have weighed it with passengers and fully loaded minus water is about 10,800 with about a 1000 pound tongue weight. Just did a 2100 mile round trip about a month ago. 11.8 mph with it being stock. I am going to add a tuner and change the exhaust in the spring to help with pulling up some grades.

Regardless, I wish that I would have put airbags on sooner! If you have a tongue / pin weight of say 500 or more, get the air bags!

What an incredible difference in ride! A buddy of mine who we camp with frequently has a 2002 Powerstroke 3/4 ton and he finally put on bags pulling his 9000 # 5th wheel, he tows 3500 mile trip minimum once a year for the past 6 years and he swore by bags for improvement of towing experience. Boy is he right! Get the bags!

I will never tow by choice a tongue or pin weight of 500 pounds or more without bags, best thing since sliced bread.

The above posters are correct, the initial cost and maintenance is more, diesel thanks to the commies at the EPA is way more expensive than should be for being a by-product of gasoline...

However, there is the cool factor, diesels are just flat out cool, google what 1/4 mile times guys are getting with 7000 pound 4 wheel drive trucks!

Also, how long do you keep a truck? 300,000 mile 3/4 ton diesel trucks regardless of engine are common. Plenty of 500,000 mile plus engines of various makes out there that have not had major work. The early duramaxs were plagued with poorly designed injectors and those are $2500. to replace if you pay a "stealer."

Regardless, diesels are there for the long haul... pun intended. One of my camping neighbors got rid of his 2004 "gasser" because he was getting about 6 miles to the gallon at best pulling his 10,000 pound fifth wheel. He is getting 12 and half MPG with his 2011 duramax.

So if you take one thing from any of these posts, put airbags on your truck with a gauge, toggle switch and compressor!

20. ark1stclass

ark1stclass TS Member

I have had several 3/4 and 1 ton gas and diesels starting in 1989, and worked for several companys that have had the same.

My last one I bought new in 2006 a F250 crew cab with a V10 gasser gets better mialage then a V8, and at that time I did the math without any engine or trans repairs, just fuel and maintiance it would be 140,000 miles before a Diesel would save me any$$$$ I am getting 14.25mpg empty keeping my foot out of it on the road, 8to9 around town pulling a trailer with 2 200 gal lawn service tanks, I may just pull it up 50 feet somtimes lots of stop and go. On the road woth the same trailer on the road I get 11.

The FD where I am full time just got a new F550 and it is loaded heavy, gets 6.5 mpg diesel, an company I buy from has a new F550 diesel and they get 12 empty or loaded. The FD also has a 1989 K3500 with a 454 and it gets 7 to 8mpg. I know cumming that get better, and chevys that get better.

If you will be driving over 60,000 miles per year a diesel, if not a gaser is more economical. Like has been said, repairs are much more expensive on diesels,$450 for an airconditioner compresor for a 2006 diesel and $289 for my v10. I can drop a new V10 crate moter for $5000.00 in mine had a friend that had 300,000 + miles on his and repowered it.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.