1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

3/4 Oz Trap loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leadoff2, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadoff2

leadoff2 Member

Does anyone have experience with 3/4 ounce 12 gauge trap loads? Friends are trying to find loading data for this particular weight of shot. They seem to think you can shoot more for less but will they be as good as a 1 ounce load? Trying to get feedback from anyone with experience.
    Thanks,

RJ Jones

2. doc boc

doc boc Member

Well I use 7/8 with 16.5 of extra lite gives me 1300 fps works great for trap. I might try 3/4 with same or perhaps 16.0 of powder. 7/8 oz of #7.5 is the same # of pellets as 3/4 of 8's. doc

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

A guy gave me a bag of CB's 7/8 oz wads so I played with shot loads.

The 7/8 oz loads did OK from the 16 at about 1300 fps through a IM or LF choke with 360 pellets average.

With the 3/4 loads I think I reached the point of diminishing returns. With only about 300 pellets in the cup the shot cloud was pretty sparse at 35-40 yards and I did little but chip most of the targets I hit.

I loaded 4 more boxes of 7/8 oz loads and passed the rest of the bag on to somebody else.

Keller

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have used 3/4 oz. loads from the 16 yard line a lot. They will smoke clays as good as any other load with much less recoil and less cost. The only draw back is they are a low pressure load and with a dirty powder like Promo they will make our gun filthy. Other than that they are fine.

5. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I've used claybusters 3/4 wad with 16 grains of extra lite. Surprisingly a quick little load but I feel it's a little lacking for serious competition. Good load for practice and the first shot of doubles for marathon events. It doesn't break targets with the authority of a 7/8 or 1oz.

6. leadoff2

leadoff2 Member

Thanks for the input everyone. Think that the lowest I'll go for practice and 16 yd league targets is 7/8 oz. I also think that the 3/4 is a little too light in the pellet count and do not want to go to #9's for 16 yd targets. Just feel that there is no terminal velocity in that size shot.

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I used 7/8 of 8 1/2's ahead of 16.3 grains of 700X. worked well for me. I also used the same load with reclaimed shot one time by mistake at a registered shoot and managed to run one trap and a 24 on the other. Fixed full choke all the way though

8. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I shoot 1 1/8oz of 7 1/2 with a full choke exclusively. If the target is lost, it's because I missed, not because the load was lacking. Every target shot (at)is a learning/teaching experience; and what have you learned if the target sails through a too sparse pattern, unbroken? If it's recoil that concerns you, drop the velocity and learn to shoot in the sub 1,200fps world. You'd be surprised how softly 1 1/8oz, #7 1/2 loads shoot @ 1,150fps and still retain enough energy to boil targets, even at short hcp yardages.

best....mike

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Have not tried the challenges of loading 3/4 oz. loads. After fiddling (experimenting) with fairly good success using 7/8 oz. loads...even on handicap yardages at 24 yds. plus...I have decided to just use 1 oz. loads for handicap practice going to 1 1/8 light loads for handicap competition. On those very infrequent occasions when I might shoot singles competition, 1 oz. will be just fine. The 7/8 oz. loads did not crimp well and were more trouble than necessary in changing/setting up the MEC 9000G each time even though they broke targets well. That said, I'm not up to the challenge of "fiddling" with 3/4 oz. loads. Regards, Ed

10. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I load 24g 7 1/2 routinely for bunker practice. I can usually load just under 100 more shells than loading 1 1/8oz. So, a little savings perhaps. From the 16 line, solid breaks are no problem. You just don't get many ink balls. At 24yd and back, still good but not as solid a hit.

HJH

11. DronE

DronE TS Member

I use 3/4 Oz. of #8 shot out of an extra full choke at 16 yds. I use remington hulls, nobelsport primers, pink cb0175 wads and about 18 grs. of clay dot.

12. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I've been very pleased with my 7/8 oz loads so I tried to take it to the next level with 3/4 oz. Even with using AA lite and Alliant extralite, I saw a big drop off in my target breaks and this was at skeet. At some point there is probably a point of diminshing returns with the light loads and for me 3/4 oz was it. I'm sticking with 7/8 oz for practice and 1 oz for more serious stuff.

13. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I have been using 3/4 oz loads #9 at trap and skeet for several years mainly for economy and recoil reduction. Never had any problem with solid breaks. If the dirty promo bothers you shoot a couple of clean loads the last shots of the day and they will clean the promo residfue from the barrel.

14. TjayE

TjayE Member

remember, when you drop your shot load from 7/8 ounce to 3/4 ounce, you must increase your powder charge. example 17.0 grams for 7/8 oz to 17.5 grams for 3/4 oz load (this is just an example).

You must increase the powder charge to get the chamber pressure for a good burn rate and constant FPS speed. This will also keep your barrel clean. Also, for the lite loads of shot, I think you should use a FULL choke barrel. Tom

15. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

The CB 3/4 oz. wad with 16.5grs. of X-lite in a rem. hull and fed primer is a hot little load and will certainly do the job at 16 with some choke and very little recoil for practice and keeps your cost way, way, down.

16. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Most shooters have trouble with 1-1/8 & your talking 3/4. Get serious!
    1OT

17. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I use 3/4 ounce loads for 1st shot of doubles. 1-1/8 for second shot.

18. pstar48

pstar48 Member

So when did the ATA change the velocity rules?

19. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

It's about diminishing returns.

As I see it, the only reasons to use less than the maximum payload is 1) reduced recoil and 2) reduced cost.

I like (need) the recoil reduction of 1 ounce over 1 & 1/8 ounce. The savings of 25-30 cents per box is a bonus.

I can easily tolerate the recoil of several hundred 1 ouncers per day. Is another 1/8 ounce worth another 25 cents/box savings? Not for me.

On practice night, with gas, shells & targets included, 100 targets cost me $40. I like to break them all and I can try it with 3/4 for $38, 7/8 for $39 or 1 ounce for $40. I shoot 1 ounce.

20. EEB

EEB Member

I use 3/4 oz of #9 for 16 yd practice in the backyard, but have found too many birds with multiple holes and no breaks. When hit solid they break the birds well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

12 gauge low pressure loads