1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

3/4 OZ. LOADS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ke4yyd, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

What type loader do you have? Some MEC loaders have imprortant adjustments that could help. Also I believe changing to CB or DR 7/8 oz wads would help.

2. sixten38

sixten38 Member

You need to do the following, wad insertion pressure should be light, you should be able to rotate the hull with the ram in insert position with some resistance, second adjust your pre crimp head so the hole in the top of the hull is no larger than a #2 pencil eraser. See if that helps.

3. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Try a piece or two of dog food to take up some space. Or a peice of popped popcorn.

Works great.

tom

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have had great results with my 3/4 oz load. I now use it for Skeet, and it works wonders with new and petite shooters.

I use 19 gr REX I, WAA12L, Remmy hull, Cheddite primer, and 3/4 oz of either 8's or 9's.

The WAA12L is about the same height as the 12SO.

You might check your shot bar. If it is really light, you might need to get a rat tail file on it. Going to 19 gr of Red Dot won't hurt either.

BTW, with a very tight choke, this load at near 1300 fps will give good breaks on 16 yard trap birds. It is good to go on all Skeet targets. With nines, I call it my "skeetie muffin load". I got that from this forum. You guys are a bad influence. LOL

5. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I have no problem with using 20 gr Promo (#33 MEC bushing)and the 12SO wad in my 9000H. You need to use either a filler wad or bulky powder to take up space and I use the latter method. 1350 fps and speed kills!

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It appears that you need a taller wad for 3/4 oz. I like the Gualandi GU-1227 wad with the Federal GM hull and Clays powder. The Gualandi wads are for straight wall hulls only. They are available from Grafs & Sons and are less expensive than Federal wads.

Jim Skeel

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Winchester Gray wads, I had to tighten up the pre crimp a bit(mec loader) Then I had to slighty adjust the crimp came a tad to get a better finally crimp.

8. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

IIRC, I had trouble fitting a 12S0 into old style AA hulls without a bulge.

I use the STS hulls and they come out nice. GC's work too

Mike, tell me more about this concave convex thing. You talking about the wad over powder cup? This is news to me

thanks

9. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Throw a Great Northern bean in with the shot. It works for me.

Buz

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

What Buz says: One bean works perfect. Dave T.

11. DoRaMa

DoRaMa Member

4170 N. Gun Powder Circle, Hastings NE 68901
    Hello,

Here is a link to some 3/4 oz data that I posted on Shotgun World.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=152559

Kevin @ 402-463-3415

12. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

My DRXXL wads were a fluorescent hot pink and not orange. Were too weak to withstand compression as my loader currently is set up. 12SO's work well with not adjustment and the XXLs will work OK with 1 oz loads with no adjustments.

13. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Goose - try these as I have shot approx.4-5K each:

AA red
    Claydot 17.5 grs.
    CB0178-12
    11/16ths. or 3/4 oz. approx. 1300fps.
    FED primer would be best but Wolf & Fio. ok.

AA gray
    Claydot 17.5 grs.
    DRXXL 7/8 pink
    11/16ths. or 3/4 oz. approx. 1300fps.

Both of these wads pattern tight and good for 16yd. practice and smoke'm on skeet. Very, very little shot string - more like a garbage can lid outbound. Great crimps with these set-ups.

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

These loads are fabulous on Skeet. The big 12 ga bore likes light shot charges. My 3/4 oz Skeetie Muffin loads breaks a Skeet target as well as the 1 1/8 oz fodder they sell at clubs. Speed kills. 3/4 ounce at 1300 fps still does not kick. There is a 28 ga factory load with identical ballistics!

More for economy than recoil reduction, I used to use 7/8 oz for Skeet, but when a cheaper load does the same exact thing, well, I am dumb, but not stupid! LOL

They do very well for new and petite shooters. Loaded with Eights, on the 16 with IMOD or tighter, they give authoritative breaks.

15. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I've been using 3/4 oz. for 16s and skeet with EXCELLENT results - meaning mild recoil (if you can even call it recoil) with breaks on 16s and skeet targets virtually the same as 1 oz. and stronger loads. Using #8.5 shot, DR XXL 7/8 wads, STS hulls, Clays Powder and Win. 209 primers. Don't be skeptical..give 'em a try...hey, you can always go back to heavier loads if you aren't satisfied.. Best Regards, Ed

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

flincher I have been using 7/8oz loads for all my claytarget shooting, EXCEPT ATA registered shoots. I have been shooting STS 1 1/8 for that. Now as my confidence grows in both my shooting and reloading skills, I may for the purpose of saveing $$$ may just start shooting 7/8 for everything. Well until I shoot up my inventory of 1 1/8 loads. Note sure if the recoil guys should be worried yet, I have a PFS and with the 7/8oz loads,,,,,,it is laughable. The recoil that is.

17. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

7/8 and 3/4 oz loads helps you stay in the gun and follow through if nothing else

Yeah, probably lose a target here and there but if I'm not on 3/4, the 7/8 do it pretty well, at least for my ability at the moment even on the 27.

Probably doesn't train you to shoot 2 shots in heavy loads tho....

Fell on my face with them last week then looked at the barrel; "skeet" :(

You do need a good full choke though. I LOVE them and great for kids as well.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Recoil ? While not totally accurate from a physics viewpoint, we can get a very good comparison of different loads by simply multiplying the shot weight by the velocity. A 7/8 oz load at 1200 ft/sec (1050) would produce more recoil than a 3/4 oz (975) load traveling at 1300 ft/sec.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.