1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

3/4 oz loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

Just wondering.Got a 3/4 oz bar that came with the 12 gauge Mec I've got.A couple people at the club I shoot have gotten me to try 7/8 oz loads ,which aren't bad at the 16yd line.I shoot a BT99 fixed full choke.Was wondering if anyone ever tried 3/4 oz from the 16 and if it's worth it.I only shoot the 7/8oz. at the local club on thursday nights.Any league or ATA I use 1 oz. loads from the 16.So,if you've shot 3/4 oz. loads,what at,where from,wtc.

Doug H. (pa)

2. tomaso

tomaso Member

i have been loading 3/4 oz using the new claybusters wad and it has worked well on the skeet range. it allows me to shoot my old guns with economical loads and not use subguage tubes. i have not had the same confidence at trap. it will certainly break a target but i am more confident with 7/8 oz.. i am loading with promo. just my experience. tom mc

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I tried 3/4 oz for the novelty of it and found that the troops were spread pretty thin by the time they got 40 yards out. Dropping the shot size to #8 1/2 or #9 helped some but 7/8 oz is the smallest I'll go with #8 shot.

Keller

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Shoot faster. Jeff

5. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I have shot many 3/4 oz in the 16 ga and have had very good luck. But realisticly if that is what you are going to shoot just to save money then go to a 20 gauge.
    Seems like many guys want to go to less shot but not to a smaller gauge. Don't make sense to me. Bill

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Seems like many guys want to go to less shot but not to a smaller gauge. Don't make sense to me."</I></blockquote>Well, it's a helluva lot cheaper!

Makes no sense to me to buy a whole new gun with a smaller bore just to shoot the same weight of shot the bore I have will already shoot. I can buy a lot of shot for the price of a sub-gauge gun just for shooting light loads.

Keller

7. oz

oz Active Member

quit whining 3/4 oz is basically what all the competitors in the Olympics use and they rarely miss.

8. dhip

dhip Active Member

OZ,,

Is that true.What yardage do they shoot 3/4 oz. at in the Olympics?

Doug H. (pa)

9. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

24 gram or 7/8th for skeet

Trap (some/all?) still has 28 Gram or 1 oz

3/4 oz in 12 ga can be amazing but it has to be fast

I recall 19 gr of 700x but look it up

#8 shot, magnum

10. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I loaded up some 3/4 oz loads to start my grandsons with; Rem hull, 16.5 gr Clays, AA gray wad and Fed primer. They worked so well that we all started shooting them for practice.

An Olympic shooter said that there's a 24gm load out in front of every 1&1/8. My 10 year old grandson put up his first 50 & 75 straight with that load. He was convinced he needed more, by the old codgers on the bench, so I loaded him up some 26 gm for his first 100.

I don't see the need to cast all that extra lead for practice.

Kip

11. dhip

dhip Active Member

Kip,

My thought is the same,if 3/4 will break em,and it's only local club shooting,why waste the lead.Once I get the right powder(only have green dot at the moment)I'll try loading some.

Doug H.(pa)

12. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Cannot fail load:

AA hull
    3/4 oz. Mag. 8's
    CB0175-12 wad
    X-Lite @ 16 grs.
    Primer of choice
    1300fps.+-

Good to 40 yds. with I.Mod. choke. This load in a 12 bore seems to work better than a regular 28 ga. load.

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yes, you can definitely discard your FULL choke tube if you want to break birds at 40 yds using 3/4 oz loads.

LOL, the thinking process of some people is simply ridiculous.

-Gary

14. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

1st. shot of doubles, sir. You have to think once in a while.LOL

15. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Use 1/2 oz. Great shot savings!
    Clyde

16. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Better yet, just the primer and use your imagination. We all know visualization is the most important step. LOL

17. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.”
    Albert Einstein

18. GW22

GW22 Active Member

4th Down: You never said a word about doubles, so don't start making crap up. Besides, who shoots the first shot at doubles "at 40 yds"? Much less with an "I.Mod. choke" and a 3/4 oz load.

-Gary

19. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

That's all I shoot from 16yds. #81/2 shot full choke, solid breaks. If I miss it's my fault.
    Mike.

20. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

"Good to 40 yds. with I.Mod. choke."

Tiddle e Winks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.