1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

3/4 oz 20 Gauage Reloads-Recoil Compared to 28 Ga

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shipbuilder, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

I am thinking about getting a set of 28 GA tubes in order to reduce recoil for occasional round of skeet. Already have 20 Gauge gun/tubes; it seems to me going to a 3/4 oz 20 gauge load might get the same recoil result as 28 Gauge, assuming same gun weight etc.

Has anyone tried this?

Jim

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Recoil is a function of payload and speed.

Use a 3/4 oz load in the 20 ga. and save your money.

Plus 20 ga hulls are less than 1/2 the price of 28 ga hulls.

If you cannot handle a 3/4 oz load, you have a severe gun fit or medical issue to address.

Don Verna

3. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Ditto what Don says about the 20 Ga. 3/4 oz in a 20 is like an ounce in a 12. SHorter shot column and tighter pattern on target. For 16's, 3/4 oz of 8 1/2 and a full choke will boil a target a lot harder than you think.

Jeff

4. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

What Don Verna said.

Regards, Pete

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Yes, I have tried it and stuck with it. Another plus for Don Verna's and Jeff's advice; 3/4 oz. in 20 ga. is great for skeet or sporting. Unless you just gotta buy some 28 ga. tubes and expensive 28 ga. shells, the 3/4 oz. 20 ga. is the way to go. Use 8.5 or 9 shot, Winchester WAA20 7/8 wads or clones in a Remington hull with Win 209 primers and Hodgdon International powder recipe out of their book. Best Regards, Ed

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Most testing seems to indicate that smaller loads (such as 7/8 oz in 12 ga, or 3/4 oz in 20 ga) pattern better than the same load in the smaller gauge they originally were made for. So since recoil using 3/4 oz loads at whatever velocity is same whether fired in a 28 ga or 20 ga gun (assuming gun weight is the same), using a 3/4 oz load in your 20 ga tubes seems to make a lot of sense, rather than using 28 ga tubes. Don't think it would be legal for competition though.

Jim R

7. Bridger

Bridger Member

I had a three barrel set for my K20, 20, 28 and .410. The barrels all weigh the same. Recoil out of the 28 using my reloads was slightly less than a 3/4 ounce 20 gauge reload. Not enough to make a difference. If you're not competing there is little need to have a 28 gauge gun as the 3/4 ounce 20 gauge works extremely well. I rarely shoot a 7/8 oz 20 gauge any longer and ended up selling the 28 gauge barrel for that set as I rarely used it. I now have a 20 gauge Blaser and contemplated buying a 28 gauge barrel for it but common sense finally set in and I will stick with the 20.

8. chrisg

chrisg Member

3/4 oz in 28ga has a longer shot string than 20ga. It is ballistically superior to the 20 ga due to this factor. I shoot both, and prefer the 28 gauge to the 20ga. in tubed gun and in individual gun.
    c.g.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.