1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

3/4 oz. 12 guage

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nipper, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nipper

nipper TS Member

a club member is working on a 3/4 oz. 12 guage load,does anyone else already have one that works to compare too.

bill

2. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Win AA hull,Win 209 primer,Win Gray 7/8 wad with .125 card or felt,15.5-15.8 Red Dot. # 9 very hard shot works best. Actual chrono from 34" TM-1 1205 fps & extremely uniform. Destroys targets at the 27 yd line. I ran 50 straight at our state ATA shoot with this load. Keep in mind for this load to work right you have to have a very good bbl. My TM-1 was done by Tom Wilkinson. PS,I hate the card but this givesa very solid,hard crimp which is also needed.

3. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

I have not used the following for 16 yds. but skeet, awesome:

11/16th.'s #9 (approx. 400 pellets)
    AA Hull
    Claydot 17.5 grs.
    CB0178-12
    Fio
    1300fps.+

With some choke, nothing but smoke.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I bought all the 12g wads a gent had at a flea market, in that bunch 500 Federal 12SO . I loaded them up for my wife to shoot out of a 870. Hodgdon Clays 16.4g-Win209-Fed12SOwad-Rem hull. 1200fps. I also loaded to clays 18.1g for a 1300fps. From Hodgdon loading data. I might try these again to conserve lead for pratice and fun shooting. If I can find 3/4oz wads locally? They worked well, never paterned them. but my wife did not shoot any worse, she also had no idea.

5. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Nitro hull, AA primers, 18.5 gr Clays, 12SO wad and 3/4 oz #8s. 1325fps

6. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I'm curious. Why do you guys like so much speed? I've been shooting 7/8oz. for about 3 years, and went to 3/4oz. last summer. Here in the great white north I go back to 7/8 in the winter, but I keep speed to 1200+/- in everything.

My current 3/4 load is a shade over the published Clays 16.5 grs.load with a gray AA wad and STS hull. I shoot an 1100 and it takes a couple of 10ths to work the action reliably for Doubles. I use a MEC 9000 and adjusted the 1st crimping station to involve a bit more hull to make near perfect crimps.

I'm not a fan of Singles, but I do post respectable A Class scores in Doubles and took a 1/2 yard punch from the 25 in caps.

It was a recoil issue that prompted my move to lighter loads, but they have become so much fun to shoot that I can't foresee ever going back.

IMHO,
    Kip

7. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

From an earlier post of mine:

Even nicer, 3/4 oz of 8's ( a 28 ga bar)

Rem STS, Federal 12S0 wad, 16.5 promo or red, Fiocchi 616 primer but any is ok as the pressure is so low. 1155 fps

You'll be amazed. Nice crimps, no fillers ( I did back the crimp punch out and have a tight pre crimp in a MEC

Since I was willing to share, try it and report back !

8. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Mr.Kipling, What was the high score on the 1/2 yard handicap puch at 25. Where do you shoot? I'm not questioning your abilty, just your competition. where theres wind and cold, 7/8 oz won't compete with shooters in our cold, windy territory shooting heavier loads. I may be full of it, but I've shot 1 ouncers in the cold, and I agree with PBB. You did say it was Summer, but what was the temp? Cold is Cold, and warm is warm. Targets break easier at higher temps.

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Federal Gold Medal hull, Winchester 209 primer, 17 grains of Clays powder, Gualandi GU-1227 wad, 3/4 oz shot. This load chronographs 1185 fps at 3 feet from the muzzle. Excelent skeet load with 8 1/2 shot. It would be great for singles with 8's.

Jim Skeel

10. R.Kipling

Dove Com.

Yes, you are questioning me, and that's OK. The winning score was my 49/50 in the Big-50 at Mud run, in NE Ohio, with 18 very competent competitors (several 48's). The temperature was high 60's, low 70's? MR is a great place to shoot, if you know it, big green targets and a sheltered strip mine location. You're just as likely to find me shooting anywhere in PA or the Northeastern seaboard as well, all places with lots of wind and cold.

The wind does, and has effected shooting, but it does so to everyone, regardless of who or what is being shot. Shooting in the wind makes you better at it, more on this later. FYI, Kay Ohey has excellent advice on this topic.

The wind doesn't know if you're shooting 3/4, 7/8 or 1&1/8 oz of shot. Wind deflection is not a mater of shot charge size (speed is incidental). Ever see a wind effect chart for aircraft? The crosswind deflection is the same for a SEL as it is for a 737. When you consider that most targets are broken with 10, or fewer pellets, those that fly by just become landfill. For clarification; you may pulverize a target with late pellets, but it was broken, and scored, when the first destroying pellets hit it.

I'm not addicted to ink balls any more, though they are nice when you're testing a new load, or choke. There are a number of things that can influence success in the wind, but most of them are related to shooting style, not shot charge. How fast you shoot, pattern efficiency, and proper read and lead of the target mean more than size.

I'm assuming that you're not "full of it", so I won't go into pellet size/count. But, I believe that emptying your head of the bigger-is-always-better mantra is the first step in your misconception. Better-is-always-better, is the more correct thought process. Better focus, better moves, better leads, better concentration are what wins. If not, any rookie with a Nitro 27 and full choke would be beating the big-dogs constantly. You're welcome to your big loads, and I wish you well with them.

I just shot some practice with my 3/4 oz. yesterday in some very heady winds, and ended the day with a 48/50 on Singles, and a 47/50 in Caps. My misses are always in feet. Choke, shot size, and charge load will most likely only gain you inches. Once you get these things tuned-in, it then falls on you. When I'm hot, I'm hot, and when I'm not, I'm not. I don't kid myself, I'm my biggest, and only competition. If, and when I put 10 pellets on each and every target, no one is going to beat me. I trust that this answers your question?

Kip

11. R.Kipling

BigBore,

I'm not saying that light loads are for everyone, either. And, I fully recognize those that prefer the maximum. One point is that not everyone is best suited with the heavies. There are more variables in this game than hot & heavy. I'll wager that more birds have been missed because of recoil-flinches, than have been broken by a golden BB from a max load.

Many of us are recoil sensitive to the point that shooting a max load reduces our scores. When this happens, and with this realization, looking at all the other elements of successful trapshooting become a better way of reaching success.

The target you chipped with that "Golden BB" was scored dead, just like the one you smoked before it. Trying to certify that it was broken with the larger, more dense pattern of a heavy load is imposable. We've both seen plenty of heavy patterns with huge holes in them. It's trying to prove a negative, it can't be done. I've broken plenty of targets with heavy loads. My initial reload was 21.5 grs of Green Dot with a W-12 wad stuffed full of 7.5's. Some of them were just as chipped as I get now with my 3/4 loads. ???

The one thing that is most certain is that when you chip a bird, it falls on you to do it better the next time. There's that word, again - 'better'. I also have spent a lot of time at the the reloading bench and pattern board. Each Bbl I test has it's own preferences. I don't need anywhere near the choke you use with my weenies. .027 is my tightest, with .022 - .025 being my norm. I do shoot the .027 at Hcap ranges, but just because I also recognize the retained energy of a 7.5 means more to me than volume. And, most importantly, 7.5 is what my Hcap gun shoots best.

Confidence is a fickle thing. I have witnessed confidence break as many birds as Nitro 27's. If a big load gives you confidence, then by all means shoot them. Heavies are of no benefit to me. I've chosen to focus on the more precise aspects of shooting. I don't expect that any of the top shooters would do any different.

I'd love to discuss this further, but I'm off to the Eastern reaches to enhance my shooting afford-ability.

IME,
    Kip

12. nipper

nipper TS Member

bruce,

i tried your load and is is a great load with very minimal recoil,shot two rounds of 16 yard today and broke my average, took a little tweeking to get the crimp looking good , i am changing to the neon green claybuster wad though.

bill

13. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

We have all had this discussion about as often as anything. I would love to reload but I don't have the time and willingness to deal with the whole set up and process.
    I have always preferred low recoil loads and when I was shooting ATA and made the 27 yard line I was shooting WW AA super lights with 1 1/8 of 7.5s. I inkballed many many of those targets with that load.

Now I mostly shoot bunker and wish I could get 7/8 oz loads reasonably. If I could, it is all I would buy. But I can often find 1 oz loads reasonably and I buy a bunch. I really buy alot if they are slow (1150 ish). But. unfortunately often they are 3 1/4 dram promo loads (made to cycle automatics).

I shoot 7/8 or 1 oz. at everything. They break the crap out of targets from the 27. Today we were screwing around shooting bunker and international skeet targets from way back. I paced off some of the distances and we were breaking birds at 60+ yards. If you make a correct point, targets break.
    Now if I am going to shoot for my living, I will probably figure out a way to use the maximum amount of lead allowed. And if I am going to shoot "Annies" and such games, I want those Nitros you all adore.

That all brings me back to the title of the thread. I wish I reloaded and was all set up. I would love to shoot 3/4 or 7/8 oz loads. I wish they sold them cheap but I doubt they ever will.
    My .02.
    Regards, Jake

14. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Broke 88 today on our clays course with 3/4 oz of 8s in the load I mentioned in a post above. Would I shoot it in a tournament? No but I ran 2 of the 3 hardest and longest stations, dropping only one on the other. My misses were primarily short, easy shots where I went brain dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sixerjan meaning