1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

3/4 oz. 12 gauge loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 24 straight, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 24 straight

24 straight TS Member

Does anyone have reloading data for a 12 gauge 3/4 oz. load? Would this be as effective as shooting the same 3/4 oz from a 28 gauge. Thanks for any and all help. 24 straight

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I tried these in the attempt to conserve lead 18grains CLAYS powder, Federal 12SO wads STS209 primer 7600psi 1300fps. Wasnt to happy with the pattern or crimp on the STS hulls. No matter what short of upping the shot wieght I got dished crimps, not bad just not good enough for me. Went back to TGT12 and 1oz shots.

3. redbone99

redbone99 Member

I've been loading old style AA hulls with 3/4 oz. #8 hard shot,clay buster 2100-12 wad, Win 209 primer and 17 grs. Alliant "Promo". I load these on a Mec Jr. press. You have to play with adjustment to get crimp to close. I have quite a bit of taper to get this. Hodgdon web site lists 3/4 loads. These seem to work quite well at 16yds. I use full choke.

4. neo

neo Member

I use a sizemaster and a 9000g to load 3/4 oz 12ga. To get a good crimp just lower your start crimp and that will take care of the dished crimp. I use the 12so claybuster and 17.0 promo in the old AA or any of the Remington target hulls. When the temp is in the 30's clays does not work very well, no problem with promo.

5. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I loaded 3/4 oz for a couple of years. IMHO the 12 ga 3/4 oz patterns better but a little tighter than the same choke in the 28 ga. After much success with the 3/4 oz I decided to drop to 5/8 oz. I have been doing that for about 6 months now and have had good results. I use 17.0 g of Promo and the Down Range Hot Pink 7/8 oz wad. #9 shot is a must for pattern density. They are effective in skeet, 16 yd trap and today I shot sporting clays for the first time and they helped me get 45/50. My loads chronograph at around 1280 fps.

I don't care if the crimp is dished in a little as the clays cannot see the crimp, as long as there is no hole in the center to leak shot. Most MEC loaders can be adjusted to get effective crimps. First, lower the precrimp station as far as possible until just before it makes the hull buckle. Next, follow the manuals instruction for reducing the hole in a crimp. Adjust the cam for "maximum" swirl. Next, raise the crimp depth so that it barely produces any depth. Then begin loading and increase the crimp depth slightly on each shell until a "hole" appears in the crimp. Then back up till the hole disappears. I load HSAA and STS hulls interchangeably this way. Be sure you set the wad pressure to zero. Just enough pressure to seat the wad firmly on the powder. I have no bloopers or weird sounding shells. They consistently break targets.

6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I use the following load. I have patterned it at 40 yds & chrono'd it @ 1200 fps +/- 10 fps.
    From my TM-1 with a Tom Wilkinson bbl I have smashed targets @ 27 yds. I have run a 16 yd 50 straight at my state shoot with it. WW AA old style hull,WW gray 7/8 wad with a 20 ga .125 card or felt wad in the bottom(this is what gives a prefect crimp)a WW 209 primer,and 15.4-.5 of Red Dot. You do not need to use more that this amount of powder. I use #9(to fill the pattern)Lawerence 6 1/2% antimony shot. Loaded on a hydromec Grabber. Most people use too much powder & fail to use a card to maintain the crimp. For 700X try 15.5-16,Clays about the same.

7. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I shoot 3/4 oz. in Rem. STS hull, 16.4gr clays, Fed 12SO wad, with a Win 209 Primer, 8 1/2 shot, on a Mec 9000G. Great crimps and really smokes targets. Mike.

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Maybe the shell manufacturers need to go to a 2-1/2" hull to compensate for the high cost of componets.

Curt

9. TN Larry

TN Larry TS Member

I use Rem hulls, Cheddite primer, 16.8 Clays, 3/4 oz 8 or 8.5, Win gray wad. Shot through an MX2000 with Teague chokes--- (sporting targets), it is amazing how this load performs!!!!!!!!!! Virtually NO recoil---the reason I use and like them. Good crimps---don't use excessive wad pressure.

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I like the following 3/4 ounce load:

Federal Gold Medal Hull, Win 209, 17 grains of Clays, Gualandi GU-1227 wad.

I chronographed this load at 1185 fps at 5 feet from the muzzle. The true muzzle velocity should be near 1200 fps.

The Gualandi wad is available from Graf & Sons. I like the Gualandi wads because they perform well and are available in several lengths. They must only be used with straight-wall hulls. They have an anti-migration ring on the powder cup that works well. I find that they tend to increase the velocity by 30 to 50 fps over a Federal wad. I suspect this is due to the powder migration seal.

Try the Gualandi wads. My favorites are the GU-1222, GU-1225 and the GU-1227. The GU-1222 is 22 mm from the base to the bottom of the shot cup. The GU-1225 is 25 mm and the GU-1227 is 27 mm. All of these wads have a crushable section that aids in making excellent crimps.

Jim Skeel

11. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

AA hull
    Fio primer
    Claydot 17.9 grs. (approx. 1300 fps.)or a comparable bulky powder.
    CB 0178-12 wad
    3/4 oz. shot

IMHO, you will not be disappointed. Try and stay 1300fps. or >. This load really performs @ 30 yds. and <. Choked down with 9's will work on 16 yds. At $50/bag for shot it is even more satisfying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.