1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2yd reduction and where the ATA screwed the pooch

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 9point3, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

The 2 yd reduction is an idea that has merit and I for the most part agree with it. I do have issue with how the ATA completed the whole process.

First of all, the ATA should have NEVER published the prospective reductions on the shooters info center before they became official. There was too much confusion revolving around the question if what was on the ATA site was official or not

Second, why has the ATA sent out new cards (reduction) with a note stating “if you have received a punch in the last 1000 birds, you can’t accept this new yardage” Why did the ATA send out this new card to these shooters if they can’t accept the reduction?

Third, the ATA should have made all of the 2 yd reduction start on a given date. The fact that some guys got their new card in the mail where others did not had some guys shooting on their new yardage while others are left waiting at the mailbox. A simple start date of Feb 15th would have fixed this issue

There seemed to be a lack of forethought and communication from the ATA regarding the 2yd reduction.

2. Robb

Robb Member

Spot on.

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I guess all of the comments about the slow arrival of the average cards must have spurred them to try to do better. I won't be shooting until April so I could wait, but I'm sure a lot of folks have better plans.

It may not have been snag free, but their heart was in the right place. Maybe they'll make everybody happy the next go around.

4. porky

porky TS Member

I know that aging shooters aren't scoring as well as they did when they were younger. I am now wondering if we will get another reduction in 2 or 3 years because of the aging ATA shooters until the bulk of the shooters die off.

5. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Still not sure why they administered it this way. If you're shooting that poorly at handicap you get a reduction offer every 1000 targets anyway unless there's a hold on you by you or your delegate. Sure seems like a whole bunch
    of unnecessary paperwork for the ATA staff, not to mention the cost of materials and mailing. Then there's the timing of all this coupled with the ATA move from OH to ILL. Their heart may be in the right place, but poorly communicated and administered.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yeah, kinda like not reading the multitude of threads and posts already addressing most of those issues.

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

They should have made the reductions mandatory

8. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

With all this who hah about 2 yard reductions, what was or is wrong with the 1000 target review that is still in place?

Seems like a lot of confusion over nothing that is not already addressed.

9. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

I turned it down when I checked in at the Dixie Grand last week, don't need , don't want it. Woody

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

screw it. I put my money down. Let's go shoot.

11. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Gary,

I scored for a nice old gentlemen a couple years ago and he walked up there and proudly shot an 82 from the 25.

After the round I found out that he had been given a reduction and he accepted his failure to refuse it in time. He had shot on the 27 for 30 or so years and lamented the fact that his average on the 27 was higher than any score that he had shot recently on the 25.

I believe it might be the end of the line for someone that's comfortable on the 27 to wind up on the 25 and have to learn how to see the bird and move with it on the 25.

I haven't seen him in a long time did he quit shooting or just quit shooting caps?

TNCoach

12. Kent

Kent TS Member

I got mine today and refused it. Took me a long time to get to the 27 and want my Trap and Field obit to say "he was a 27 yard shooter". What really got to me is that now I am a Sub Vet. WTF.. Talked to one of my state directors today and he said we may not have time to get trophies for all the new catagories before the state shoot. I said all it will do is cheapen the trophy selection more than it is now. We need champion and runner up at most for all events nothing more.

13. PaShooter

PaShooter Member

Just kind of wonder about the people in charge of this organization, received my new 2012 card in October, then somehere along the line they decide to give everyone a two yard reduction and resend the average a two months later? What was the initial postage cost of the first mailing? Can anyone say waste?

As for the new catagories, another waste!!! Just keep on watering down the trophies!! What is next?

Just one persons opinion!!

Paul H
    Imperial, PA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.