1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2ND SHOT OF DOUBLES

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by knutershooter, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Basically cannot shoot the 2nd target of doubles, I think I'm stopping the gun and shooting behind the target or lifting my head, or shooting over them or basically any other no-no you can think of. Any one have any ideas how to practice these or tips or psychologists! Thinking on the way home that a nice set of golf clubs would be a lot less money!

2. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

I should note that I ahve tried raising comb, lowering comb, shooting with one eye, two eyes, and even eyes closed like in karate kid but not working. My sight picture on 2nd target is a falling/curling target going away. Yes, shoot first one quicker would be great. They break the best if I'm a foot under them(2nd shot) hard to get that sight picture in mind when shooting though consistently.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Shoot right at it-no lead necessary. You're likely shooting in front and low. When you're in front it's hard to comprehend where you're at. Try the "right at it" first!!

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Do you have a harder time on certain posts?

Ajax

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

What is the length of your o/u barrels. I found out that my 32" barrels were dipping. Went to a 30" barrel & now I have control.

Phil Berkowitz

6. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

As far as troubles go on other stations, no not really. 30 inch barrels on an xt. shooting skeet 2 for first shot 1 ounce and mod or light mod 2nd shot with 1145 1 1/8.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You have to adjust the POI of your second barrel so you can hit a dropping second target. Or you can learn how to trap the first bird so you can shoot the second bird before it starts to drop. HMB

8. Crickets

Crickets Member

What oleolliedawg said! - Made a huge difference for me I was trying to lead too much.

9. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Use IM for your first shot and full for your second. Your skeet choke isn't any advantage and your modified for the second shot isn't helping either.

1 ounce of 8s for both shots.

You're likely coming out of the gun. The one ounce load will help keep you from being bounced off the gun for the second shot.

Look at both targets. Then shoot one, then the other.

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Maybe a good starting point would be to shoot a few rounds of Singles alternating both barrels. You'll likely see little if any difference in scoring. If the difference is significant-change guns. Your barrel impacts stink!!

11. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

I think that is a good idea, I will try a round of each from 16.

What sight picture do you guys see when you shoot 2nd target?

12. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

also where are you holding on first target. I would guess I am 4-6 feet above house.

13. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If your 2nd target is beginning to drop, you need to shoot the first target faster. Try shifting your eyes to the 2nd target as soon as you pull the trigger on the first.

Also, set up your stance to shoot the 2nd target and swing back to your hold point for the first target.

Try and get help from your clubs top doubles shooter and/or watch for any classes in your area given by the top dogs.

If you just cannot shoot the first target faster and/or get to the 2nd target on the rise... I would use Lt Mod .015 (Skeet2 may be the same constriction) for your first shot w/ 1 oz #8 and Full .035 for the 2nd w/ 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 3 Dr Eq since the target is out there if it is dropping.

Jason

14. 870

870 Well-Known Member

V10:

I use IM and full, just because that's how my gun is choked. Always considered myself overchoked on the first target. Now I feel better.

15. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

my gun is moving towards the second bird when the first bird is shot, I sweep towards the second bird. My gun hold height is determined by how high the birds are set. Second bird is always shot on the rise.

16. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

you should "plan" on missing a few first birds.

When i help doubles shooters, they all focus on that first bird - and try to shoot the second while its falling. That will almost never work consistently.

Hard to convince someone that its a helluva lot better to miss 4 first birds and 4 second birds than to miss 10 second birds, though. LMAO.

IF you can miss 4 first 4 second, eventually, you'll won't miss ANY firsts, and you'll be shooting fast enough on the seconds you won't miss any of those either.

KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN. Glue that cheek to the stock.

As i was once told "TIGHT CHEEK WINS"

17. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Put the modified choke in the first shot barrel and then a full in the other. Now go to a pattern board at about 20 yards, and shoot five shots at the same point of aim, then switch barrels and do it again. If you have a gun problem it will show up here, very important !!

If both barrels are close to each other, adjust point of impact to where you shoot the best singles. Now go shoot it. I would like to advise you to use the lightest shell ( maximum of 1 oz ) you can to get the trigger to shift to the second barrel, then try 1 oz of 7 1/2's or a maximum of 2 3/4(light) 1 1/8th of 7 1/2's

Believe me this will work, hell the Olympic shooters only use 24 grams of 7 1/2's, and 28 grams of shot is what is in a 20 guage shell, therefor they are shooting with less pellets than most 20 guage shells. Why do you need more ???

Tom Strunk

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

In answer to you question "what sight picture do you see when you shoot 2nd target?"..........I try to focus hard on the target, when I try to "see a sight picture" I usually hear "dead/lost" from somewhere behind me.

John C. Saubak

19. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I think V10 identified the most likely source of the problem: coming out of the gun after the first shot. It was also my problem.

The recommendation to use a lighter load for the first shot also helps by making it easier to retain your mount.

Try to concentrate on retaining your mount through both shots; feel your cheek on the gun and maintain constant pressure from the beginning to the end of the pair of shots.

Remember that the body tries to protect itself so the natural response after a shot is to pull away from the source of pain: the stock. Doesn't matter on singles because the reflex occurs after the shot is over--unless it becomes a flinch...

Hope this helps a little.

Doc

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Tom, The Olympic shooters trap the first bird. There was a nice video on here last month showing them shooting mens double trap at the World Cup. Everyone of them trapped the first bird with no gun movement while holding a level gun on the first shot. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.