1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2nd gun for handicap ??? How many here do this ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by IMAGE-RANCH, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IMAGE-RANCH

IMAGE-RANCH Member

I am a new shooter.. I am gonna buy a 2nd gun for my handicap.. Wanted to know how many others already do the same!!!!!! I love my gun , but I don't like adjusting it to shoot my handicap ! !!!

2. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

why would you change and what would you change

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Back in the day many did this. Now most shoot the same gun and simply change choke or barrel. Two guns exactly alike will not necessarily shoot and handle the same for same shooter.

4. IMAGE-RANCH

IMAGE-RANCH Member

I drop my comb as I slide back.. And were the gun sits on my shoulder goes down as well ... It's Wierd but helps me alot.....

5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

What gun do you shoot now?

For the first time I added a 1/16" nylon washer to my comb to shoot mid yardage. I was hoping to have the same target aim point as I would at the 16 and it seems to work. I feel this way you don't have to mentally change your game between singles and handicap.

Bryan

6. Calkidd

<i>I drop my comb as I slide back</i>

HUH?

7. IMAGE-RANCH

IMAGE-RANCH Member

I have to stay with it , if it's working ! Thanks for your input .. So no second gun ?

8. Calkidd

No, I do not have a second gun, just my BT-100. I guess you could consider my 1100 Trap my second gun, but that would be for doubles if I ever shot them.

Bryan

9. IMAGE-RANCH

IMAGE-RANCH Member

10. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Beware the man with 1 gun... He may shot it well!

11. Calkidd

Althought the image is small, from what I can see why would you want a second gun. I don't get it.

Bryan

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've always shot a single bbl for singles and 'caps and an O/U for doubles.....different games...different requirments...different guns...never owned a combo...never saw the need for one...JMHO

13. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I shot with a guy once that had 2 identical KX-5 Kreighoffs One with Mod choke for singles and one with Full choke for Caps. I think the Caps gun shot a little higher also...SMOKIT

14. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I do. I have one gun set up for singles and doubles, and another for handicaps which has a 25% higher POI. I shoot R-auto's so in effect carry a backup, and eliminate some excessive ware on both.

Kip

15. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

You don't need anymore than what you have. Maybe some barrel work and proper choking- .026 to .032 restriction is adequate for 16 and caps. None of the shooters that I shoot with change anything from shooting singles to the 27 yd line.

16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I know a guy that has two Kolars with PFS stocks. One is painted grey and one is painted black. One is shot at 16 yds., and the other is shot for yardage. I personally would like a different gun for handicap. I would want it to shoot flatter though. Figure the farther back you go the higher the shot will go above your sight plane, compared to 16 yd. targets. The key is to get a gun that shoots the same sight plane for both. The only way to do so is to shoot a flatter gun at 16 yds. You could adjust your sight plane at handicap. Float the bird more. Jon

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I did for a while...used a BT99Plus for singles and a 32" Citori Plus for long yardage ..my only reason is the O/U was a noticebly heavier which both slowed and smoothed my swing which let me be a bit more precise when the rocks got far and tiny...but I dont any more

18. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I've learned more in the last few days with guys like C.E. Bergie and now this, than I did in my first 75,000 registered!Thanks guys, I could have saved a lot of money! Tom Rhoads

19. IMAGE-RANCH

IMAGE-RANCH Member

Thanks guys for all the input ! I am going with a second reciever .. thanks again

20. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

If you are shooting the same load for both, then some equipment "change" is generally warranted...higher comb to raise the poi, usually, and increase the choke constriction. If you will increase the velocity of the load and increase the choke constriction as you move backwards, it is very likely that you can remain with the same set-up for most applications. But if you've got the hots for a new something, by all means go fot it! It is a very expensive "fix" to something that isn't broken and will introduce additional variables into your shooting equation. By the way, are you shooting competetively yet, or are you just getting into it? Talk to several of the better 27-yard shooters at your club and see what they say. Or go to a registered shoot and see what the best shooters do. IMHO, if you are serious about it, you'll find a way to stick with the same gun for both to reduce the variables in a game that demands near-perfection.

WNCRob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.