1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2nd amendment

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by ben there, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ben there

ben there Member

The Second Amendment was enacted so the people could protect themselves from a corrupt government. I think the government's aim with gun control is not as worried about criminals having guns (which no laws have helped yet) but about the people being able to protect themselves from a corrupt government.

I have a concealed carry permit. I have never carried a concealed gun, but I can if I need to. No one needs to know if, when, or what I carry.

I took a class, $50.00, I applied for a permit, $50.00. It doesn't tell me if I can, have to, or what gun I can carry. Just that I can carry one.

I would do the same classes ($50) and permits ($50) (cheaper than the 100's I send the NRA every year) for a license to buy or sell a gun, any gun, without the government knowing if I even own a gun.

If you need a license to buy or sell a gun, only those that wont to break the law would sell to someone who doesn't have a permit.

Do I think I need a safety course after 64 years of hunting? No, but it's better than Feinstein's way.

John Hays

2. oz

oz Active Member

check on your CCW. they run our usually in 5 years. you have to re-apply or you lose it. They don't tell you when it runs out, it"s up to you.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

John Hay- at last some reasoned thought

ben there- I agree that everyone ( except prior mitlitary honorably seperated) should have to obtain a certificate of training before purchasing at least an AR platform or similar weapon.

Maybe you are right- maybe all weapons- but certainly these

Everyone has to attend hunter safety- why not this training?

But people would be screened out by the class standards and opinion of the trainer if they had mental issues

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Why should a person pay a price for a permit to own a gun, when the second ammendment gives us that right?

5. J.Fred.Muggs

J.Fred.Muggs TS Member

If you read Madison, who wrote the second amendment, he primarily wanted to avoid the need for a standing army. Interesting that the first time the state militias were called into Federal service it was to enforce a tax.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    New liberal version of the Second Amendment...

You have the right to apply for the privileges we deem you can have.

7. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

In Texas, you can carry with what you qualify with. In other words, you qualify with a wheel gun(revolver), that is all you can conceal carry. If you qualify with an automatic, then you can conceal carry either one. Charlie

8. oz

oz Active Member

check on your CCW. they run our usually in 5 years. you have to re-apply or you lose it. They don't tell you when it runs out, it"s up to you.

9. g7777777

John Hay- at last some reasoned thought

ben there- I agree that everyone ( except prior mitlitary honorably seperated) should have to obtain a certificate of training before purchasing at least an AR platform or similar weapon.

Maybe you are right- maybe all weapons- but certainly these

Everyone has to attend hunter safety- why not this training?

But people would be screened out by the class standards and opinion of the trainer if they had mental issues

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Why should a person pay a price for a permit to own a gun, when the second ammendment gives us that right?

11. J.Fred.Muggs

J.Fred.Muggs TS Member

If you read Madison, who wrote the second amendment, he primarily wanted to avoid the need for a standing army. Interesting that the first time the state militias were called into Federal service it was to enforce a tax.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    New liberal version of the Second Amendment...

You have the right to apply for the privileges we deem you can have.

13. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

In Texas, you can carry with what you qualify with. In other words, you qualify with a wheel gun(revolver), that is all you can conceal carry. If you qualify with an automatic, then you can conceal carry either one. Charlie

14. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Everyone except ex-military have to go through a course to buy a AR? I'm a cop. Before I was a cop I was a welder. When I was a welder I hunted and shot competatively. I've been an instructor for 29 years and I can tell you if you can read an owners manual you can shoot an AR. That's proven by the idiots who commit crimes. It's still a good idea for new shooters to go through a shooters safety program but let's not confuse the 2nd Amendment with gun safety.

And being a Chief of Police in the N/E I can tell you that many cops are pro 2nd Amendment, its usually the politically correct brass that want good press who aren't. That and the golf club liberals that wear blue. P.S. Most of my fellow officers (in general)qualify because they have to not because they like to shoot and its frustrating. Also, please don't confuse local law enforcement with anymore firearms laws ... there's more than enough poorly written ones already.

15. g7777777

NJCOP

Ok I would extend that waiver to Law Enforcement also.

You said "It's still a good idea for new shooters to go through a shooters safety program but let's not confuse the 2nd Amendment with gun safety"

True - it should not be confused with the 2nd Amendment but it is a gate to go through

Regards from Iowa

Gene

16. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Why would you exempt law enforcement? There should not be different rules for anyone if you want to impose these draconian conditions to firearms ownership.

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The Constitution does not mention a safety course is necessary to own a firearm. AR's aren't that complicated. Heck, every gang banger and gun nut has seen how they operate on TV shows and movies! If you want to pass a law, pass one that says the new owner must read the operation manual.

This whole gun ban thing is a diversion from what really counts: THE ECONOMY AND UNEMPLOYMENT. The Administration loves this. Takes the heat off them and the media again plays right along!

18. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Being Canadian, I don't have anything immediately at risk in this fight, BUT...

if the Second Amendment specifically cites a militia component, would it not be sensible to have that militia in possession of, and adept with, a firearm at least close to the same as that used by the military?

An AR is the closest thing you can get to a military-issue long arm without having to jump through a bunch of hoops and paperwork required of owners of full autos, so if a law abiding citizen chooses to have one and become proficient with it, they would just be a good citizen saving the government training costs when they are called into service.

Use this argument on the do-gooders, bunny huggers, and hoplophobes you come across, no charge. I can just about guarantee it will get their knickers in a twist.

19. g7777777

LEOs already go through training courses and fitness examinations that is why I would exempt them

Regards from Iowa

Gene

20. g7777777

GW22 not only doesn't add to the conversation but there is a question whether he could pass a public safety training course so naturally he would be against anything that might screen him out

GW22 you must be a lunatic wanting to make a straw purchase and advertising tht online here- are you insane man?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.