1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2nd Amendment Under Siege......

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by bgf, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgf

bgf Active Member

....................................THE GLOBAL GUN CONTROL THREAT.......................................

On July 27th, the nations of the world are scheduled to meet in New York to sign a global Arms Trade Treaty (ATT). Disguised as a way to prevent the proliferation of small arms throughout the world, it is, in fact, a backdoor way to legislate gun control in the United States and effectively repeal our Second Amendment.

The ATT will set up a global body which will require all nations to regulate firearms so that they can prevent their exportation to other countries. Inevitably, this will require countries to inventory the guns in private hands and to register them. A gun ban is not far away.

The ATT, under the Supremacy Clause of the US Constitution, would have the power of a constitutional amendment and would, effectively, repeal the Second Amendment guaranteeing us the right to bear arms. We must fight to stop the US from signing the treaty and, if we fail, block Senate ratification.

Copy and paste from DickMorris.com.

If any one thinks this could not happen because our Constitution would not allow it, think what this seating president [ small p intended ] has already done by Executive Order.

2. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Read up people, and beware.The NRA has been all over this travesty. I saw a guy from the Heritage Foundation on Fox and Friends talking about it Friday. I have not seen or heard about it anywhere else, nor will I. We need to make noise and a lot of it. Contact your US senators, and tell them NO. If this goes the wrong way, we are finished. No passage of a law, no debate, no recall. Just done.

3. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Well, I just contacted both of my US senators. I know one will vote no, the other one, not so sure. Your turn.

4. porky

porky TS Member

ttt

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Id call my Senators here in California, But it would be a waste of time.

6. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Anybody want to fact check this? No treaty of the US is valid unless ratified by a vote of Congress (60% vote, I seem to recall). This has been debunked so many times, it's ridiculous.

Danny

7. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

My two are worthless also! When you call them, all you get in return is a form letter NOT anywhere near ON TOPIC!!

8. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Burgess, despite your obvious lack of ability to discern the facts, and believe that name calling will get you a leg up, I'll continue in the debate.

From wikipedia:

Opposition in the United States

Given the predominant position of the United States as a global arms exporter[10], any such treaty would have limited relevance without its participation. Ratification would require passage by a 2/3 majority of the U.S. Senate in addition to presidential approval, which is rendered unlikely by opposition from gun rights groups such as the National Rifle Association, who claim that the treaty is an attempt to circumvent the Second Amendment and similar guarantees in state constitutions in order to impose domestic gun regulations.[11] Advocates of the treaty claim that it only pertains to international arms trade, and would have no effect on current domestic laws[12][13]. These advocates point to the UN General Assembly resolution starting the process on the Arms Trade Treaty. The resolution explicitly states that it is “the exclusive right of States to regulate internal transfers of arms and national ownership, including through constitutional protections on private ownership.”

As of September 14, 2011, 58 US Senators (45 Republicans and 13 Democrats) have expressed their opposition to an ATT that would limit the Second Amendment rights of US citizens.[14] As this group comprises far more than 1/3 of the Senate, it is sufficient to block ratification of the treaty by the United States if the treaty addresses civilian ownership of firearms. However, the strength of the opposition remains unclear because the treaty will not likely address the Second Amendment issue.

A quick search of the Internet (on Feb 8, 2012) confirms that the treaty is highly controversial in the United States and has been fodder for political speeches, blogs, viral political e-mails and advertisements claiming or insinuating that the treaty provides a "legal way around the 2nd amendment," and a "complete ban on all weapons for U.S. citizens." Snopes.com, the "urban myth" tester, calls the viral e-mail "scarelore" and false.[15] The Huffington Post reports that "such a scenario remains virtually impossible."[16] The Los Angeles Times reports on October 23, 2011 that "only a narrow fringe purports that Americans could see their guns taken away by the U.N., which has no authority over constitutional rights."[17]

Danny

9. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

And, from the NRA-ILA:

It is also important to note that, in order for any treaty to take effect, it must be ratified by two-thirds of the U.S. Senate. To ensure that ratification of the ATT by the Senate cannot take place, NRA has worked to get as many U.S. Senators as possible to publicly oppose any ATT that includes restrictions on civilian arms.

Last year, U.S. Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kans.) and 57 other senators signed a letter to President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton reminding them that the Senate has final say on treaties, and stating their unequivocal opposition to any treaty that would affect civilian ownership of firearms, challenge the authority of Congress to regulate firearms within the United States, or call for an international gun registry.

Danny

10. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Here ya go, dmarbell

There is a reason you DON'T or Shouldn't believe what you read on wikipedia or do a snopes fact check on and believe what is being fed to you!

Look at the date of the article and pay attention to the last sentence.

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

We should all know by now if you give them an inch they will take a mile, I don't rust anything the government says

And your elected pols will sell you out for anything they want

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Wikipedia and Snopes.... yeah, like you can trust those liberal sources. Snopes in particular is well known for cherry picking facts to arrive at a predetermined result.

13. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

At last count, there are 51 Democrats, two independents, including Liberman who always votes with the Dems, and 47 Republicans in the Senate. It would take all the Democrats, the two independents, and 14 Republicans to reach the 67 votes needed to ratify the treaty.

I just don't believe 14 Republican Senators are going to vote for any UN treaty that might in any way, present or future, affect 2nd Amendment rights in the US.

That's coming from me, not any news source.

Reread Burgess' rant above. The sky is not falling. Cool heads will prevail.

[And, no, Obama won't impose martial law just before November elections, making himself King of the US. The elections will go on as scheduled. God help us if we don't take back the White House and Senate, at least for the sake of our financial future.]

Danny

14. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I've long realized that the assault on the 2nd Amendment won't come directly. It will come from some slight of hand outside source and be confirmed by SCOUS. Your congressman will never have to say he/she voted against the 2nd and guns.

Think about this:

US Supreme Court Justice, Erik Holder!!!! If Zero is re-elected that's what you're looking at. There are 4 current Justices that are in their 70's, and ready to retire. A re-elected Zero will load the court beyond all hope of recovery.

IF you intend to throw your vote away on a lesser-party candidate, please think about this.

Kip

15. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Whoever could he be talking about when he said "...throw your vote away"?

16. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

...............and furthermore Obamacare could never pass both houses of congress because it is blatantly in violation of the constitution, so be comforted and go back to sleep.

17. bgf

bgf Active Member

If hillary and Obanafuher indeed sign on to the ATT on the 27th of this month, dose anyone think that this is NOT an invasion of our 2nd Amendment?

'Let not your heart be troubled'...

Bernie

18. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I believe that no treaty between the US and any other entity is valid unless passed by a 2/3 vote of the Senate. Neither the president nor the Secretary of State can "sign" a treaty and bind the US.

Danny

19. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

http://www.sweetliberty.org/issues/staterights/treaties.htm

20. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Just listened to Dick Morris on Hannity, he said that when the slut old lady clinton signs the ATT treaty it goes to the senate for a vote. If passed the treaty supersedes any constitutional rights. This would be the start of all firearm registration, and then from there !!!! Don't ever listen to these jack off's on this site that preach big brother doesn't want to take your firearms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.